Toddler Sleeping Arrangements w/ 2 Cabins?

mnmmom

Okay... we are going on a cruise for my SIL's wedding on 5/27 on the Caribbean Princess. Costwise, it ended up being less expensive to book the mini-suite I wanted and the interior cabin across the hall for myself, DH, DS (9 yo) and DS (18 mo). My other SIL is in the mini-suite next door with her DH and DS (also 18 mo). My MIL is in a larger suite on another deck and expects my older son will want to stay in her room for a few nights (which he has done on past cruises).

So, here is my question... how safe would it be to let my younger son take naps in the interior cabin by himself with me in the mini-suite using a baby monitor? I've had several people tell me not to worry, it is just like having him in bed upstairs in his room at home. It would be nice to be able to hang out with my SIL in my cabin as the 2 boys take their naps, and I think I can handle it during nap times when I am wide awake... what about at night? I was thinking about sleeping in there with him, but it would also be nice to spend a little time with my hubby...

Any suggestions based on past experiences? Without too many comments shooting me down in flames for even considering this please!:)

baby monitors are ok ... location "across the hall from each other" doesn't sound challenging; however, there's no way I'd leave a child alone in a room all alone -- you will be in a floating city full of strangers. Others may disagree with me and that's ok. Don't take too much forgranted....accidents/incidents can and do occur - baby monitor will not guarantee a single thing. the toddler may fall asleep on his own when sleepy if he is pushed in a stroller...then you can go anywhere and visit anybody without the little one leaving your control. I've always done "connecting cabins" when traveling with kids. g'luck!

On my last cruise, and first one with a baby (6m), I did a LOT of planning and researching, especially on these boards. I really thought I was going to bring a baby monitor with me as well when I was planning. My Mother was along with us in a cabin right next door and I thought it would be easier for the baby to fall asleep in her crib in our cabin and have Grandma listen in on the baby monitor since she was right next door. It sounded like a great solution of not having to move a sleeping baby next door late at night. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized this wasn't my house, but a place where complete strangers come in and out of your room at least twice a day. That made me feel very uncomfortable and since I would never leave my DD alone in a room surrounded by strangers, I decided to leave the monitor at home. Anyway, it's another item not to lug in the luggage. :)

At night, when my DH and I wanted some adult time, we just used group babysitting at night. My DD was so tired because of all of the activity during the day she didn't wake up once being carried back to the room from the Kid's Club.

With the tragic event of a fire on a cruise ship, do you really want to take any chances with something happening and having a child alone in a cabin, even if you're nearby? Would you leave your child alone in a hotel room while you went down to a restaurant or pool, even if you have a monitor? Anyone can get into a cabin at any time. Crew members have passkeys that give them access to every cabin. It's completely different having a child asleep at home, upstairs. You don't have strangers able to come into your house at any time, with a master key to your house. In light of recent events and emergencies, I just don't think leaving a child as young as yours alone in any cabin, for any reason, is a good idea.

If you have a minisuite, why do you need the other cabin for just 4 of you?

Were you not able to book a quad mini? I would call your TA and get a quad mini. They have a pull out sofa and a drop down bunk bed. The twin beds push to a queen, so it sleeps 4 comfortably.

Here is someone else's photo of a quad mini with the 3rd and 4th pax area set up for bed - not sure which princess ship, but the mini's on the grand class all look pretty much the same.

Good luck!!

upperberthemail2.JPG.a962f186328ea8757c481d6908d303a9.JPG

I just realized that the message I posted yesterday did not actually post to the board when I got locked out... basically, I said thanks for the input and I was glad to have my worries validated. Hopefully, Grandma will want to keep him for one night for some parental private time.

Also, I was not worried about there not being enough space in the minsuite... I booked the inside cabin because it saved me $60 on the price of the cruise and gave me another $50 to spend in shipboard credit. So, for less money, I ended up with an extra cabin with a bathroom and closet. The question is what will I use it for... basically, storage and an extra bathroom to get ready for the wedding.

Archived