Need Advice for NCL Caribbean Cruise

I’m thinking of booking a one week Caribbean cruise in 2025 or 2026 for my family of 6. Kids would be approx 20, 18, 15, and 13. I’ve seen so many reviews that mention island safety, or this ship isn’t meant for kids, etc. Primary goal would be beach/swimming, snorkeling (this is the ONLY way I could get my husband on a cruise ship as he is a huge fish nerd), wandering around town, and just relaxing. I can’t imagine we’d do more than one or two excursions due to cost x6. I personally don’t have much interest in Mexico or Jamaica. Any suggestions as far as great ports or ships to look at? It’s all very overwhelming. Thanks!

I suggest you find a travel agent to work with who can get to know you and your family. You have plenty of time to make the decision. Travel agents can provide you with specific information on which ship ports would be best. Do not pay for the services of a travel agent. If they ask for payment, walk away. If anything they should "pay" you by providing onboard credit, pre-paid gratuities, or something similar. Find a travel agent and "interview" them to be sure they'll be worth it.

If you don't want to do that, I'd suggest reading the "live" reviews on this board. You can find them here: image.thumb.png.75767141ca236d19e6a403c1d2493a51.png

Also, if you have specific questions ask away. Or go to YouTube and watch ship reviews, port reviews, etc. 

I'll put one plug in for Great Stirrup Cay - it's Norwegian's private island. You can snorkel, swim, play volleyball and all the food is included. Drinks may be included if you get the drink package through Free at Sea (have to pay gratuities still). There are zip lines, jet skis, and other things, but my husband and I (we're young'ish) just enjoy chilling on the beach, snorkeling, and playing volleyball.

Otherwise, there's so many amazing places to go, I can't possibly tell you what would be best for your family! I mean, I could, but I'd have to know you better. 

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Thanks 1

Pick a large ship like encore orbliss plenty to do and teens love it. Also will make new friends no need to do expensive excursions just grab a cab and head for the beach. If st Lucia is on your schedule

Look at cosol tours , private tour and cheaper than ship did 3 times worth money they may give you a price break since 6 people. Always get you back in time includes drinks and lunch and snacks. St Thomas go to secret harbor good snorkeling no charge for beach.

• Thanks 1

So many wonderful beach islands to choose from, you can’t really go wrong, if the ship has one stop you don’t care for, enjoy the ship while others are on shore.  my personal favorite islands include Saint Maarten- great beaches close to the pier,  Aruba nice soft sand, large beach, easy to get around independently, St Thomas, beautiful beaches, and if you can get to the National park on St. John, do it!  Grand Cayman, another easy island for independent plans, great stirrup Cay (GSC) everything is RIGHT there!  I like Cozumel too, shopping, & beaches.  Keep in mind the tender ports (grand cayman, GSC) get cancelled more often than docked ports r/t wind causing safety tendering issues.  And tendering can be a PITA. 
Me personally, I’ve never had a bad cruise.  I’ve missed ports, had excursions cancelled, but never a bad cruise.  Do your research, know what costs extra, what needs reservations, as above, read the reviews, watch the YouTube videos and manage expectations.  Sounds like a wonderful time going with family, happy planning. 

Edited by 2bc cruisers
  • Thanks 1

We're also a family of 6 and have sailed on the Breakaway twice now (Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize & Roatan) and everyone had a great time.  The stop in Belize is at NCL's private island and both time we just spent the day at the beach.  We did a snorkel trip and a snuba trip (lots of fun) in Roatan.  Costa Maya we did ATVs with a beach break one trip and just went to the beach on the other (short taxi ride) and in Cozumel we swam with the dolphins on one trip and did a snorkeling trip on the other.  

18 minutes ago, SimplyAlbert said:

We're also a family of 6 and have sailed on the Breakaway twice now (Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize & Roatan) and everyone had a great time.  The stop in Belize is at NCL's private island and both time we just spent the day at the beach.  We did a snorkel trip and a snuba trip (lots of fun) in Roatan.  Costa Maya we did ATVs with a beach break one trip and just went to the beach on the other (short taxi ride) and in Cozumel we swam with the dolphins on one trip and did a snorkeling trip on the other.  

I was going to write a long post about how wonderful The western Caribbean is. Then I saw the OP doesn't have interest in 🇲🇽. I assume due to lots of trips there, otherwise the family should reconsider as western Caribbean is a perfect blend of beaches, stunning snorkeling, history, and kind people (especially Roatan)!

My husband and I have each been to Mexico several times and are just looking to see different countries/areas. I have gotten a lot of negative feedback from friends about Jamaica which is why we will avoid stops there. 

After looking into ports a bit more we have decided to concentrate on the Southern or Eastern Caribbean! Thank you for your thoughts. Much appreciated!

7 minutes ago, nordicacres said:

My husband and I have each been to Mexico several times and are just looking to see different countries/areas. I have gotten a lot of negative feedback from friends about Jamaica which is why we will avoid stops there. 

After looking into ports a bit more we have decided to concentrate on the Southern or Eastern Caribbean! Thank you for your thoughts. Much appreciated!

Try looking at Jan 25, 14 day, out of Galveston, TX, itinerary. You may like it 

17 minutes ago, cheersforbeers said:

Try looking at Jan 25, 14 day, out of Galveston, TX, itinerary. You may like it 

Except she said they wanted a one week cruise. Plus, depending on the time of year (I assume winter, since they live in MN) the younger kids might not be able to miss school for two weeks (unless over a holiday).

In any case, I would recommend the Southern route.