Looking for Seattle pre-cruise suggestions

gzmtlock

We'll arrive in May, with 1-1/2 days prior to embarkation.  Staying at the Marriott Waterfront.  Arrival afternoon, likely to do Pike Place Market and wander downtown.  Probably an early night, as we're east coasters.  Looking for ideas of what to do on our second, full day.  I've been to Seattle a couple times, but many years ago, and didn't leave the downtown area.  Hubbie has never been.  We're outdoor people, love nature and (not too strenuous) hiking.  We won't have a car, but can walk several miles easily.  Some things I already have questions about:

Seattle Aquarium - if the weather is not great, this might be a good alternative?

crossing the sound - intriguing - what's on the other side, if you don't have a car?  and what are the details to make this happen?

Chihuly gardens - have been to several traveling installations in botanic gardens and love them.  Good option for us?

We're not limited to these initial ideas.  Feel free to suggest anything you think we might like!  

If you are a Chihuly fan then you will like the museum. It’s not terribly big but is well done.

For crossing the Sound, it is very easy to do as a walk on on one of the many ferries that traverse the Seattle/ Puget Sound area.

Our ferries are reliable, modern, and a major part of the life here. Just sitting on the observation deck and seeing the amazing beauty of the Northwest water and mountains is worth a trip.

Leaving  from the ferry dock in Seattle, you might take a 35 minute ride across  to Bainbridge Island, and then it is a short walk to the shops and restaurants there. 
Or you could take an hour ride across to the town of Bremerton which is on the Kitsap Peninsula.  Again, a short walk to this town which has 3 museums dedicated to its culture and military history. Bremerton has a major Naval base.

Google the Washington State Ferry system for times and information if interested.

• Like 2

I always enjoy wandering around the waterfront in Seattle. Haven’t been inside the aquarium for several years, but I remember it being decent. It’s not far from the ferry terminal as well. If you do visit the waterfront be sure to check out Ivar’s Acre of Clams on Pier 54. There is a sit down restaurant and and also a walk up window outside. We always get our fish and clam chowder to go and sit in the covered, heated outdoor seating and watch the ferries come and go. I love riding the Washington state ferries. It’s a nice low key ride with beautiful views. Best part is you can stay warm and dry on even the nastiest day.

Seattle Center is also worth a visit. It is pretty pricey to go up in the Space Needle, about $40 these days, but some great views on a clear day. The pop culture museum is also fun. 

Pioneer Square  and the underground tour there is something unusual and fun as well as informative. The guides are great. I never had so much fun while learning history before. 

There is so much to do and see in Seattle you can’t even begin to see it all in such a short time. Have fun!

• Like 1

Great information, thanks!  Curious about transportation options in Bainbridge Island or Bremerton.  Quick peek at my hiking app shows several trails that might be interesting, but are not accessible by foot from the piers.

Sorry, not a hiker so can’t help you with that, but maybe there are some readers out there that can help. 

Bainbridge has buses and Ubers. Further research could give some answers.

The advice of the OP above on other things to do in Seattle is very good and I would second those suggestions.

Whatever you do, have a great time in Seattle and on your cruise!

• Like 1

Let me suggest you change the order of things a little.  First, a bit of geography.  The waterfront Marriott sits at the bottom of a steep bluff; the Pike Place market and all of downtown are at the top.  There are various methods of climbing the grade - a couple of elevators, including one right next to the Marriott (which was out of service for a time and I'm not sure has reopened - a call to the hotel will answer that) as well as some staircases and a skybridge from the Bell Street cruise terminal (across the street from the hotel.)  It's not strenuous, but can be time consuming, so I'd probably want to limit the number of times you need to go up and down, if you get my gist.

In my view and that of most locals, the Pike Place market is at its best in the mornings rather than in the afternoons.  Since you'll still be on east coast time, what I'd suggest is to hit the market for breakfast in the morning (there are several good breakfast places, open from 7 on) and watch the merchants set up, before the crowds arrive around 10 - 10:30.  

As for the afternoon when you arrive, I think a ferry ride would be ideal then.  The ferry dock is around a 10-minute walk south from the Marriott.  Ride the ferry to Bainbridge Island, from which it's a short walk to the middle of Winslow, the attractive little town on the island.  You can walk (around 15-20 min.) to Eagle Harbor, where there are a couple of enjoyable casual places for a meal - google the Harbour Public House and Doc's Marina Grill - for an early dinner, then it's back to the ferry terminal, back to Seattle, up to the hotel, and hit the sheets.  

The next day, after the market, you can hit Seattle Center - Space Needle (overpriced IMO) and the Chihuly exhibit, the Museum of Pop Culture (MoPop) and other attractions.  

After that, there are numerous possibilities that you could decide on based on the weather, your energy levels, or personal interests.  I'll list a few for you to research.

- Pioneer Square.  This historic district on the south end of downtown is one of the largest contiguous national historic districts in the country - lots of terrific buildings, a popular "underground tour" that visits leftovers from Seattle's great fire, now subterranean as the city was rebuilt over them; lots of pubs and cafes... 

- Chinatown/International District.  The "ID" is full of Asian restaurants, an excellent small museum documenting Chinese-American heritage, and interesting shops.  A real favorite among locals is the amazing Uwajimaya pan-Asian supermarket and department store, a tourist attraction in its own right.  

Note you can use the free waterfront shuttle bus to get from the Marriott and Pier 66 areas to both Pioneer Square and the I.D. - Free Seattle Waterfront Shuttle - Official Page

- Museum of Flight.  The MoF, located a couple of miles south of downtown and accessible by city bus or easily by Uber or a taxi, is generally regarded as the second-best air and space museum in the country, behind the Smithsonian in DC.  This is a fabulous destination, full of very cool exhibits, a decent cafe, and one of the best gift shops going.  It's an ideal wet-weather destination, too.

- University of Washington campus.  The UW campus, reached by light rail from downtown, is very beautiful.  The Burke Museum of Natural History on the campus is outstanding.  

- Ballard Locks and Fishermen's Terminal.  A few miles north of downtown (reachable by bus, easier by cab/Uber) the Hiram Chittendon Locks (aka "Ballard locks") allow boat traffic to pass between Puget Sound (salt) and Lakes Union and Washington (fresh) and are fun to see.  A mile or so east of the locks is Fishermen's Terminal, home of the Seattle fishing fleet and a big portion of the Alaska fleet.  There are a couple of excellent places to eat on the dock; you can then walk off the carbs along the jetties and finger floats past the working fishing boats.  This is a real "old Seattle" place and much beloved by locals.  

There are more, but I'll stop there.  Any or all of them would make for a very enjoyable walkabout.  

Edited by Gardyloo
  • Like 5

Thank you so much, Gardyloo, for such a thorough response!  There's lots in there for hubby and I to ponder and plan!!  I look forward to having fun with it.  😁

Years ago, I did walk from "upper" downtown to the giant ferris wheel.  Work conference, had hit the bar after sessions ended, then we decided it was a great idea to ride the wheel.  Blew out my shoes and nearly my calves.  Then had to walk back up.  Your description of the bluff brought those memories back!  It is quite a climb!!

We arrive May 17.  It's a looooong flight, nearly 6 hours, so we'll map several options and choose which best fits our energy and the weather.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2024 at 3:12 AM, gzmtlock said:

Great information, thanks!  Curious about transportation options in Bainbridge Island or Bremerton.  Quick peek at my hiking app shows several trails that might be interesting, but are not accessible by foot from the piers.

Bainbridge has more accessible trail than Bremerton.  Bainbridge also has more to do around the ferry terminal than Bremerton.  But if you like naval history, Bremerton is the go to place.  There is a free Naval Museum, and a Vietnam era destroyer that has guided tours.

Either route ( Bainbridge or Bremerton) will give you beautiful view of the Seattle skyline.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

I had heard that there is a bakery near a starbucks in Seattle that is a must.  Can you tell me its name and location?  We'll be visiting the last week of June.

Thanks.

I assume you are talking about the Original Starbucks?  That's behind Pike Place Market.  Pay close attention to the logo ( it's not the same logo you see today).  There is a bakery right next door.  Alway a line to get in, but dont know why

The "original" Starbucks on Pike Place actually isn't; the first Starbucks was located closer to the corner of Pike Street and Pike Place but was closed a long time ago.  Obviously the Starbucks people are happy with the myth, as in ka-ching.  

There's a Russian bakery a door or two south of the Pike Place Starbucks, Piroshky Piroshky.  It's very good, but I'm betting that the bakery you've heard of is Le Panier, a very good French bakery.  Note they sell excellent coffee drinks there, too.  You can see the line outside Starbucks (just past the Market Optical glasses sign) in this picture.  https://maps.app.goo.gl/4nNVYy47NoYTfgpQ8

https://maps.app.goo.gl/4nNVYy47NoYTfgpQ8

• Like 1