Excursions on Antarctica Cruise

JPH814

My wife and I are considering the 11 day Antarctica cruise on one of the Expedition ships.  We have done several Seabourn Cruises as well as other lines. 

We are used to having to pay for excursions - either booking through the ship or booking private tours.  On this cruise I imagine there are not many if any private tours.  My question is:  Are the excursions offered by Seabourn included in the price of the cruise? Or Do you pay for the excursions you want to book?  Or is it a combination of both?  

We are familiar with River Cruises.  They will have one or more included excursions in each port but then some excursions you can book for an additional fee if you desire.  But each day there is at least one included excursion.  Is this the way the Expedition ships work?

53 minutes ago, JPH814 said:

My wife and I are considering the 11 day Antarctica cruise on one of the Expedition ships.  We have done several Seabourn Cruises as well as other lines. 

We are used to having to pay for excursions - either booking through the ship or booking private tours.  On this cruise I imagine there are not many if any private tours.  My question is:  Are the excursions offered by Seabourn included in the price of the cruise? Or Do you pay for the excursions you want to book?  Or is it a combination of both?  

We are familiar with River Cruises.  They will have one or more included excursions in each port but then some excursions you can book for an additional fee if you desire.  But each day there is at least one included excursion.  Is this the way the Expedition ships work?

As a general rule, weather and sea conditions allowing, you have 2 zodiac trips each day.  One a landing where you get out of the zodiac and walk around and the other a zodiac cruise.  Those are included at no extra cost.  Then there are kayak trios and submarine trips.  Both of them are extra cost. I don't recall the cost of the kayak trips but the sub trip cost $1,000.  Both of them also subject to weather and sea conditions as to go or no go.  Weather, wind and sea conditions determine everything on an Antarctic cruise so be prepared that schedules can and most likely will change.  Just go with the flow.

35 minutes ago, toseaornottosea said:

As a general rule, weather and sea conditions allowing, you have 2 zodiac trips each day.  One a landing where you get out of the zodiac and walk around and the other a zodiac cruise.  Those are included at no extra cost.  Then there are kayak trios and submarine trips.  Both of them are extra cost. I don't recall the cost of the kayak trips but the sub trip cost $1,000.  Both of them also subject to weather and sea conditions as to go or no go.  Weather, wind and sea conditions determine everything on an Antarctic cruise so be prepared that schedules can and most likely will change.  Just go with the flow.

Toseaornottosea is quite right; Antarctica excursions on the two Seabourn expedition ships consist of zodiac rides and landings.  There are no charges for either and you do not sign up before boarding the ship.  The only excursions that cost money are the submarine rides and the kayaks.  T…..a has given the submarine charge. It should be noted that you won’t see fish or mammals when in the submarine.  The focus is on flora and wildlife (e.g. sponges, starfish) growing on the sea floor.  This focus is made clear on board but not so much when people sign up prior to sailing.  As a result, many are disappointed that they, “didn’t see anything”.  
In terms of  Kayaking, I was charged $200 for the kayak in Antarctica on the Venture last month.  It was really neat to be that close to the water.  It also gives you bragging rights to be able to say you kayaked in Antarctica.  This bragging right is much warmer than the polar plunge “I swam in Antarctica” bragging right. ☺️ 

• Like 1