NCL Getaway Greece Haven - Tender Question

My family of 5 will sail aboard the NCL Getaway through the Greek Isles in June.  I understand that the tendering at Santorini can be challenging.  Any tips on how to make it a good experience?  We are staying in the Haven.  Many thanks!

5 minutes ago, Family5Travels said:

My family of 5 will sail aboard the NCL Getaway through the Greek Isles in June.  I understand that the tendering at Santorini can be challenging.  Any tips on how to make it a good experience?  We are staying in the Haven.  Many thanks!

Get up early, would be my advice. Tendering isn't so much the issue, because it's a short trip from the ship to the shore. The issue is getting up that steep hill once you arrive. The earlier you go, the better. To the best of my knowledge, the Haven status does you no good once on land. Also check what other ships are there the same day as you, and plan accordingly. If you haven't been to Santorini before, I would say it's definitely worth the wait. It can be a bit of a madhouse due to so many tourists visiting at once. Next time we go, we'll fly and rent a villa.

10 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Get up early, would be my advice. Tendering isn't so much the issue, because it's a short trip from the ship to the shore. The issue is getting up that steep hill once you arrive. The earlier you go, the better. To the best of my knowledge, the Haven status does you no good once on land. Also check what other ships are there the same day as you, and plan accordingly. If you haven't been to Santorini before, I would say it's definitely worth the wait. It can be a bit of a madhouse due to so many tourists visiting at once. Next time we go, we'll fly and rent a villa.

Thank you.  Yes we are early risers and hope to get on one of the first tenders.  I understand the cable car can be a 2 hour wait in the morning.  As of today, four ships are scheduled to sail to Santorini on the same day.  The Getaway is the largest but arrives 30 minutes after the MSC Lircia.  Thanks for your comment and suggestion to be an early bird!

• Like 1

I would imagine that, given you're in the Haven, you can get on one of the earliest tenders. We were there in November 2023 and there were 3 other ships. The lines wouldn't have been as long, but the seas were choppy that morning, so all but one of the NCL-sponsored excursions were cancelled. That meant having to tender (and wait in line) with all of those people. (We had a private excursion booked.) Unfortunately, the line was then about 2 hours long and we were very late for our tour. But we still had an incredible time. I know we wouldn't have been late but for the snafu with the NCL excursions, though. I considered walking up the hill but my wife wouldn't have been able to.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Family5Travels said:

Are you planning on taking a ship excursion?  If so, the tendering process OFF the ship is easier and the ride up the hill is included in that.  Getting back on the ship, however, is still subject to the cable car lines (or walking down the donkey trail, which I did with no problems). 

29 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Are you planning on taking a ship excursion?  If so, the tendering process OFF the ship is easier and the ride up the hill is included in that.  Getting back on the ship, however, is still subject to the cable car lines (or walking down the donkey trail, which I did with no problems). 

Thank you.  It is good to know that walking down the donkey trail is an option.  We do not have an excursion planned but will meet a photographer in Oia.  I am considering taking a water taxi from Old Port to Amoudi Bay to avoid the cable car cluster.  

• Like 1