St Petersburg to Moscow

Has anyone done the 16 hour excursion from St Petersburg to Moscow from a cruise ship docking for two days?

It seems to involve a one-hour flight each way. I would appreciate any experiences of these. There appears to be two trips from the Jewel of the Seas itinerary, one costing twice as much as the other (£758 and £381)

Has anyone done the 16 hour excursion from St Petersburg to Moscow from a cruise ship docking for two days?

It seems to involve a one-hour flight each way. I would appreciate any experiences of these. There appears to be two trips from the Jewel of the Seas itinerary, one costing twice as much as the other (£758 and £381)

You may want to post this on the Baltic board as well as check out the Baltic board as there has been lots posted on trips from St.P to Moscow..here is the link..

Cruise Critic Message Boards - Baltic Ports

You may want to post this on the Baltic board as well as check out the Baltic board as there has been lots posted on trips from St.P to Moscow..here is the link..

Cruise Critic Message Boards - Baltic Ports

But this is the Baltic Ports Board!

I have been to both cities, I would rather spend 2 whole days in St. Petersburg than waste a whole day and a lot of money going to Moscow for a day!

But this is the Baltic Ports Board!

I have been to both cities, I would rather spend 2 whole days in St. Petersburg than waste a whole day and a lot of money going to Moscow for a day!

Now IT is posted on the Baltic board...was originally posted on the Europe board before monitor moved it....;)

BTW,if this was a trip I was on I would agree with you re your reply and sty in St.P.

I couldn't disagree with this statement more! Spending a day in Moscow is far from a waste of a whole day. If you'll never go to Russia again, it's certainly an option to spread your time out and see more than one city. Going to Moscow on my Baltic trip was one of the highlights of all my travels around the world. Standing in Red Square ranks up there for me with climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge and standing among 750,000 Magellenic penguins in South America. Sure, you could spend two days in St. Petersburg and have an amazing two days but it's worth the trip to Moscow if you can afford it and you're willing to give it the time. Sorry to disagree with you dileep. :o Just sharing my opinion. ;)

I couldn't disagree with this statement more! Spending a day in Moscow is far from a waste of a whole day. If you'll never go to Russia again, it's certainly an option to spread your time out and see more than one city. Going to Moscow on my Baltic trip was one of the highlights of all my travels around the world. Standing in Red Square ranks up there for me with climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge and standing among 750,000 Magellenic penguins in South America. Sure, you could spend two days in St. Petersburg and have an amazing two days but it's worth the trip to Moscow if you can afford it and you're willing to give it the time. Sorry to disagree with you dileep. :o Just sharing my opinion. ;)

No problem. We can agree to disagree. The world would be boring if we all agreed on everything. I did enjoy walking in Red Square in the snow, but I was bowled over by St P and cannot think of anything I would give up on one of those days!

I thought St. Basil's was great but the Moscowite told me that St P was even more spectacular! I agree.

Thanks for your replies cberge,dileep and Host Cecilia - I await more opinions!

Sorry not to have posted on the Baltic Board. When I went to the Europe Board after an 'inactivity' break it said that the Baltic Board was in preparation and to watch this space.

We will be travelling to SP in June on the MP and was hoping to do the excursion to Moscow. However, Orient Lines has informed me that they will not be offering this excursion this year "because of concerns about the safety of the planes". As Moscow would have been one of out highlights it is a great disappointment. I have enquired about private companies offering this option, but have my doubts now. Does anyone who did this excursion last year have any comment regarding the planes? Are they just being over careful? Have any of the other Cruise Lines also cancelled excursions to Moscow?

Thanks for your input

We will be travelling to SP in June on the MP and was hoping to do the excursion to Moscow. However, Orient Lines has informed me that they will not be offering this excursion this year "because of concerns about the safety of the planes".
Tisha...I have to say that flying on a Russian airline was a bit scary but at the time I was full of a sense of adventure. In hindsight I should have been more concerned about safety. We were on a commercial flight and in StP we passed through metal detectors but they didn't have anyone manning them so most people beeped and kept going. Boarding was a bit chaotic with everyone being bussed to the flightline and crowding the stairs to board. The plane looked old. Not that looking old meant it was old but it did look that way. Overall, I was a little worried about safety. I wonder what the new concerns are?

Thanks for your replies cberge,dileep and Host Cecilia - I await more opinions!

Sorry not to have posted on the Baltic Board. When I went to the Europe Board after an 'inactivity' break it said that the Baltic Board was in preparation and to watch this space.

I looked at your original post and noticed that you had the price listed in British Pounds. if uou live in the UK, you have options that are not available to us in the US.

1. Russian visa is easier to obtain
  2. you are not that far from Moscow
  3. you can probably get a cheap airfare from London or even find a decent conducted tour

Look into what it would cost to make a separate trip to Moscow. You may find that you are better off spending both days in StP with the ship, and for not much more money make a separate trip to Moscow. It would not surprise me if the cruise line price for Moscow day trip is very much inflated!

Thnx Cecilia. I get the picture... I think I'd rather not take the risk as I'm a single parent to a 4year old. Hopefully I'll have the oppertunity again at a later stage and try the train trip which seems to be as much "adventure" as I can cope with! With regards to the new concerns - apparently they had lots of complaints last year & if I remember correctly there was an incident or 2 with Russian planes...

Thank you, Dileep, Cecilia, et al. I think I will forget the Moscow excursion!

If you are interested in it, there was a company advertising it for cruisers called Baltic Travel that specialized in SPb to Moscow day trips. You can Google them and see what they say about it. Maybe they stopped also.

Wasting 16 hours of short 2 day stay by traveling to another city seems to be what would be called "a low yield investment" of valuable port time.

Wasting 16 hours of short 2 day stay by traveling to another city seems to be what would be called "a low yield investment" of valuable port time.
While it may be a big chunk of time during a two day stay, I don't think any travel is a waste of time. Just my opinion though. I don't think my travel experiences are limited to the destination. My travel adventure begins when I leave the house for the airport.

Hi, is anyone going on this cruise? Any suggestions on which ports you can do on your own? Do you know a tour company in St. Petersburg to book a private tour?

Thanks for you help!

Debbie and Bill

Hi, is anyone going on this cruise? Any suggestions on which ports you can do on your own? Do you know a tour company in St. Petersburg to book a private tour?

Thanks for you help!

Debbie and Bill

Check the Roll Call for your cruise! My notes are in my signature section below.

Archived