Marella Red Sea cruise 2024 still going ahead???

Most cruise lines have re- routed cruises that were due to go through the Red Sea. We are due to sail from Oman to Cyprus in April 2024 via the Red Sea but have heard nothing and Marella are still selling the cruise. Can't find any information on the Web. Anyone heard anything?

Hi, we’re due to pick the Marella Discovery 2 at Aqaba on 25th April, whether or not the boat will get there is another matter. We spoke to our Travel Agent and they haven’t had any updates on any further changes to the itinerary. Looks as if it’s going to be a waiting game.

Other cruise lines that were due to sail Red Sea/Suez Canal have either cancelled or re-routed via South Africa.

If you look at the Arabian Sunrise and the Roll Call for Marella Discovery 2 for April - you will see what are the issues and comments. I have called the help line twice, but frankly - life is too short - and I have never had a definitive answer - apart from the first time when i got a "don't worry your cruise is still planned" . My wife and I have now expected this cruise to be cancelled as it is only 8 weeks away now and are keen to consider other options, but won't commit until we get the cancellation or other notice from TUI.

55 minutes ago, pblack05 said:

If you look at the Arabian Sunrise and the Roll Call for Marella Discovery 2 for April - you will see what are the issues and comments. I have called the help line twice, but frankly - life is too short - and I have never had a definitive answer - apart from the first time when i got a "don't worry your cruise is still planned" . My wife and I have now expected this cruise to be cancelled as it is only 8 weeks away now and are keen to consider other options, but won't commit until we get the cancellation or other notice from TUI.

Same as us

I booked the transition cruise from Aqaba to Palma April 24 I followed the ship on marine traffic in November out to the Far East from Palma and saw that obviously the ship did not stop in Israel but called at Alanya or Antalya in Turkey and an extra port in Cyprus instead and also did not go to Aqaba but had flights back from Sharm el Sheik This was because the Yemenis were firing at Eilat just across the gulf close to Aqaba. I presumed this would happen on our cruise. Before Christmas I received an email from TUI which advised that we would have the same ports of call on our return to Palma but no mention of change of airport BUT was told that we could cancel the cruise at no cost or change to another cruise and if I had booked on line that (which I had) I should visit a TUI travel agent. I checked what other repositioning cruises were available and costs and duly went to TUI TA. There was no problem at all They rang HO and the guy on the phone said we could change cruise or cancel. I told him the cruise we wanted 18 days from Bridgetown to Marmaris on Discovery and he gave us a price which was more than that on line cost so we cancelled at no cost and booked it with TUI TA who met the online cost and in doing so she received commission on a new cruise booking So all of us were very happy.

It is possible that the ship may have to come back via South Africa and if so they may cancel the repositioning cruises which travel from Oman to Palma and go via South Africa from India. Whether they do this with or without passengers is an unknown currently.

10 hours ago, Vitalsign said:

I booked the transition cruise from Aqaba to Palma April 24 I followed the ship on marine traffic in November out to the Far East from Palma and saw that obviously the ship did not stop in Israel but called at Alanya or Antalya in Turkey and an extra port in Cyprus instead and also did not go to Aqaba but had flights back from Sharm el Sheik This was because the Yemenis were firing at Eilat just across the gulf close to Aqaba. I presumed this would happen on our cruise. Before Christmas I received an email from TUI which advised that we would have the same ports of call on our return to Palma but no mention of change of airport BUT was told that we could cancel the cruise at no cost or change to another cruise and if I had booked on line that (which I had) I should visit a TUI travel agent. I checked what other repositioning cruises were available and costs and duly went to TUI TA. There was no problem at all They rang HO and the guy on the phone said we could change cruise or cancel. I told him the cruise we wanted 18 days from Bridgetown to Marmaris on Discovery and he gave us a price which was more than that on line cost so we cancelled at no cost and booked it with TUI TA who met the online cost and in doing so she received commission on a new cruise booking So all of us were very happy.

It is possible that the ship may have to come back via South Africa and if so they may cancel the repositioning cruises which travel from Oman to Palma and go via South Africa from India. Whether they do this with or without passengers is an unknown currently.

Thank you. I think for us it is a waiting game but it is leaving us little time to make other arrangements for the same period.

On 2/14/2024 at 4:14 PM, pblack05 said:

Same as us

Just back from Far East and asked some of the staff if they knew if this would go ahead as planned - opinion seemed to be that they would not know until much nearer the time.