How early one can check-in baggage in vancouver cruise port

Our princess cruise to Alaska departure time is 4 pm from Vancouver Port. We reach Vancouver previous day at 6 pm. We are not renting a car; and staying close to airport. We would like to visit Stanley park on cruise departure date. I am thinking of dropping the baggage as early as possible  (may be around 9 am),and wander in Stanley park and return to cruise port around 1 pm to complete the embarkation process. Is it possible?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mncbabu_yahoo said:

Our princess cruise to Alaska departure time is 4 pm from Vancouver Port. We reach Vancouver previous day at 6 pm. We are not renting a car; and staying close to airport. We would like to visit Stanley park on cruise departure date. I am thinking of dropping the baggage as early as possible  (may be around 9 am),and wander in Stanley park and return to cruise port around 1 pm to complete the embarkation process. Is it possible?

Yes - in fact I'd strongly advise pushing your arrival even later, aiming for 2pm (the later the better for lack of crowds, but you do not want to risk missing the boat - with both CBP preclearance and Canadian authorities also needing pax manifests you really want to be there by the 2hr predeparture mark) so while the park is fine to visit, I'd advise planning lunch or something very close to the pier (Gastown, maybe ride FlyOverCanada right on the pier) as your thing to do in the 1pm-2pm slot!

Earliest I know I've been able to drop a bag is ~9:30am; officially it doesn't start until some time between 10 and 10:30am but that's the normal location, there is always an Early Drop down in the bowels of the parking levels, literally some longshoremen with luggage cages, probably one for each vessel in port that day. Make sure you hand your bags to the right guy!

Walking along the Seawall (scenic) is ~45mins, a straight shot back along Georgia and Cordova saves at least 10mins, so allow 60-90mins walk time there and back - personally I'd hop on a bus to save time! The 19 has a stop right inside the park, near the Rose garden and pavilion, but several others also stop at Denman & Georgia just outside the entrance. You might also consider a bike rental - you'll move much faster but still be able to get anywhere in the park you can walk to. It's been a while, but the gym at Canada Place west (Club16) used to rent bikes, it doesn't get much more convenient from the pier than that, but if they don't there's a Spokes rental on Cordova just the far side of the Fairmont Waterfront hotel, so only a block away.

Thank you. I could not understand location specified in the last paragraph ( Georgia and Corvoda). I yet to explore the location and transportation in downtown and Stanley park. Are you suggesting that we can walk to Stanley park from cruise port and return by bus? 

Edited by mncbabu_yahoo
Typo

Yes you can walk from the cruise port to the Park or vice-versa. I would suggest that you take the bus to the park and then start a slow walk along the seawall back to the cruise port.

This picture will give you an idea of what there is to explore as you walk from the cruise port to the park. The green in the upper right of the picture is the Park. Hope this helps a little. This picture was taken at the Convention Center - next door to the cruise port and looking west to Coal Harbour and the Park.

20230830_134559.jpg

Edited by Urban trekker
additional infomation
  • Like 2

Looks so beautiful. It appears that lot can be explored at downtown. Gastown, Canada place, Stanley park are close to each other. One day is not sufficient..If we go to Downtown and Stanley part in the previous day evening, how long we can hang around in that area?. The sunset is about 9 pm in late May..

On 2/18/2024 at 2:51 PM, mncbabu_yahoo said:

Thank you. I could not understand location specified in the last paragraph ( Georgia and Corvoda). I yet to explore the location and transportation in downtown and Stanley park. Are you suggesting that we can walk to Stanley park from cruise port and return by bus? 

Sorry, bad grammar and wrong street, I should have said Pender rather than Cordova - and I thought I'd managed to link a map last time around - doesn't look like that worked, so here's a second try with both walking routes listed, from pier to park and back by Seawall or most direct route.

You can just flip the mode of transport to Transit to explore which bus stops are convenient, and it will also provide an accurate schedule as Google has all of Translinks route data. Renting a bike is also an excellent choice, as while that will be pricier than a bus it means your travel around the park is significantly speeded up without losing access to anywhere (all of the trails and paths are bike accessible, although interior ones can be steep so if you want to see Prospect Point either an eBike or strong legs are a good idea!), and if you stick to Seawall and park trails you won't have to ride in traffic.

It's definitely walkable. 

Just to add some additional context around distance and walking times, the days I drop the missus off at work in downtown, I usually park the car about three blocks away from Canada Place around 8:30am and am able to reasonably walk to and down Robson Street, across Denman to English Bay, towards the eastern side of Stanley Park, somewhat along the eastern side of Lost Lagoon, back to Canada Place along the Coal Harbour seawall, and then back to the car by 11am (because parking is up).  This includes a few stops to get coffee, read the news, etc.  

An alternate circuit I do with similar times when I park closer to Denman Street goes deeper into Stanley Park to Second Beach, walk along the west side of Lost Lagoon, through the Rose Garden, then toward Lumberman's Arch, around the seawall, and then back to the car new Denman instead of back towards Canada Place.  To do this circuit from Canada Place, I'd probably add an hour, ~3.5hrs total.

Definitely can rent a bike or eScooter (or take a bus) to speed it/parts up.  Note the bike path along the Stanley Park seawall is one way.  

Parts of downtown are fairly lively when the weather gets nicer and the days get longer.  There's going to be dead areas eg. More business district areas.  

Gastown will likely be lively into the evening because of the bar and restaurant scene.  Might be even more lively if the Canucks are still in the playoffs and playing that night.  There always seems to be a bunch of people around the steam clock.  The area can potentially feel a bit sketchy with one person screaming down the block though.  

Canada Place and along the seawall will likely have many people enjoying the views in the evening.  

I'm not sure how late you'd want to stay in Stanley Park.  Along the edges and seawall should be fine.  I hesitate to recommend along some of the main trails once you get to dusk mainly due to coyotes.  The park had a problem with agressive coyotes nipping/biting people in recent years but has eased once the Park Rangers started clamping down on people feeding them.  However, when I was walking through the park today, I did come across a sign warning of being in a coyote nesting area so they are still around.

Hello Folks...I just want to piggy back a question of the OP's original question.

We will be arriving at the Vancouver airport very early the morning of the cruise and are planning to take the sky train to the port. Is there a way we can utilize the early drop off option highlighted by @martincath?

It will also be our first time in Vancouver and we would like to do a little exploring as well.

Thanks in Advance 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisingbajan said:

Hello Folks...I just want to piggy back a question of the OP's original question.

We will be arriving at the Vancouver airport very early the morning of the cruise and are planning to take the sky train to the port. Is there a way we can utilize the early drop off option highlighted by @martincath?

It will also be our first time in Vancouver and we would like to do a little exploring as well.

Thanks in Advance 

It depends how early you arrive! Anyone cruising that day can drop bags, but since the official start time is listed as 'between 10 and 10:30am' any time before that for early bag drop is a bonus, there is no official policy about when it starts but logic dictates it can't possibly be earlier than the longshoremen show up for work (unlike the industrial docks, the cruise pier is not a 24/7 operation).

I've personally used it ~9:30am and have seen others report using it around 9am several times, so if your flight is say 8am or even a little earlier you should give it a go, it'll probably take at least an hour from touchdown to get through immigration, baggage pickup, customs, then SkyTrain downtown even if the queues are very light (~26min ride). Look for signs at the pier telling you which level to head to on the elevators, and there should be big metal wheely cages and some longshoremen supervising them, with (quite small!) signs indicating which cage goes to which vessel - they'll also have luggage tags. Personally I would use the tags the line sends you by email, print them at home and bring them along already written out - you'll have ample time to pull off the plane tags and replace with the cruise tags while riding the train in, one more little bit of efficiency improvement!

If you have a flight at say 6am though, then I'd consider spending a few bucks and using a nearby luggage storage option - the Pan Pacific hotel bell staff are on the ground floor, right above the pier, so it doesn't get more convenient than that... reported rates last season were $10 (CAD if you have it, no change given for USD) per bag, and the hotel does run 24/7!

Note also that Vancouver is not a city of early-risers! Anything involving tickets almost never opens before 9am even in peak summer season, but fortunately our parks are not locked up after hours so even if you arrive pre-Dawn (officially parks are open 'dawn to dusk') you could wander the seawalll to catch the sunrise (head for Brockton Point Lighthouse, but anywhere along that sweep of land from the yacht club past HMCS Discovery and Hallelujah Point looks back toward the city and should give a nice view when the sun pops up)

You can also use that map link to check bus schedules - quicker than walking! If you wanted to wander Stanley Park, then as early as possible is the time to do it. Avoid Seawall crowds, and have plenty of time to get back to the pier - I would save the closest things which entice you to the period right before you plan to board, especially if you're trying to push it as late as possible... with US CBP to deal with on top of regular cruise check-in/security, 2 hours before your ship is supposed to leave is as late as you should attempt, but in general the later the better for lighter queues. FlyOver Canada is right at the pier, takes about 45mins for the whole program; Gastown is only ~10mins walk away and is very popular for cruisers to wander Pre and Post; maybe the Harbour Centre lookout, also <10mins walk? These are the places you want to be visiting as your boarding time approaches to avoid risk of traffic delays - never a good idea to be on the other side of a bridge from the pier with less than an hour to go!!!

• Like 2

Very helpful post and responses.

If I may also piggy back on to this -Our original departure was 8pm - now postponed to 1AM - however still all aboard by 5pm.

We will drop off luggage 11am, staying at PanPacific the night prior.

Is there time enough to visit Granville Island? Specifically the zodiak tour finishing around 3pm.

Would we make it back to port by 5pm via Public Transit on a Thursday eve?

When I saw reference to other side of the bridge, I'm rethinking my plan.

Thanks again.

19 hours ago, martincath said:

It depends how early you arrive! Anyone cruising that day can drop bags, but since the official start time is listed as 'between 10 and 10:30am' any time before that for early bag drop is a bonus, there is no official policy about when it starts but logic dictates it can't possibly be earlier than the longshoremen show up for work (unlike the industrial docks, the cruise pier is not a 24/7 operation).

I've personally used it ~9:30am and have seen others report using it around 9am several times, so if your flight is say 8am or even a little earlier you should give it a go, it'll probably take at least an hour from touchdown to get through immigration, baggage pickup, customs, then SkyTrain downtown even if the queues are very light (~26min ride). Look for signs at the pier telling you which level to head to on the elevators, and there should be big metal wheely cages and some longshoremen supervising them, with (quite small!) signs indicating which cage goes to which vessel - they'll also have luggage tags. Personally I would use the tags the line sends you by email, print them at home and bring them along already written out - you'll have ample time to pull off the plane tags and replace with the cruise tags while riding the train in, one more little bit of efficiency improvement!

If you have a flight at say 6am though, then I'd consider spending a few bucks and using a nearby luggage storage option - the Pan Pacific hotel bell staff are on the ground floor, right above the pier, so it doesn't get more convenient than that... reported rates last season were $10 (CAD if you have it, no change given for USD) per bag, and the hotel does run 24/7!

Note also that Vancouver is not a city of early-risers! Anything involving tickets almost never opens before 9am even in peak summer season, but fortunately our parks are not locked up after hours so even if you arrive pre-Dawn (officially parks are open 'dawn to dusk') you could wander the seawalll to catch the sunrise (head for Brockton Point Lighthouse, but anywhere along that sweep of land from the yacht club past HMCS Discovery and Hallelujah Point looks back toward the city and should give a nice view when the sun pops up)

You can also use that map link to check bus schedules - quicker than walking! If you wanted to wander Stanley Park, then as early as possible is the time to do it. Avoid Seawall crowds, and have plenty of time to get back to the pier - I would save the closest things which entice you to the period right before you plan to board, especially if you're trying to push it as late as possible... with US CBP to deal with on top of regular cruise check-in/security, 2 hours before your ship is supposed to leave is as late as you should attempt, but in general the later the better for lighter queues. FlyOver Canada is right at the pier, takes about 45mins for the whole program; Gastown is only ~10mins walk away and is very popular for cruisers to wander Pre and Post; maybe the Harbour Centre lookout, also <10mins walk? These are the places you want to be visiting as your boarding time approaches to avoid risk of traffic delays - never a good idea to be on the other side of a bridge from the pier with less than an hour to go!!!

Thanks for the info. My flight arrives in YVR at 830 in the morning. Factoring in clearing customs and so on I may be able to do the "normal" drop off.

Typically how long does the sky train take from YVR to the port?

Logistically how easy is it to debark the sky train and get to the port?

5 hours ago, cruisingbajan said:

Thanks for the info. My flight arrives in YVR at 830 in the morning. Factoring in clearing customs and so on I may be able to do the "normal" drop off.

Typically how long does the sky train take from YVR to the port?

Logistically how easy is it to debark the sky train and get to the port?

You will probably walk further from your plane to the train, and again 'curb to cabin' at the pier, than the distance from SkyTrain platform to pier! Google Map for the best route with bags is here - this assumes you pay a little attention on the platform and take the exit to Granville Street (if you board the rear of the train, it's that end of the station, but there are signs).

Worst case and you follow the crowds to pop out into the main Waterfront station lobby, it's actually an even simpler route just a little uphill instead of a little downhill! Walk out the doors onto Cordova Street, walk to your right/uphill until you reach Howe St, turn right again, follow the sidewalk, arrive at pier.

Train itself ~26mins end to end, you are boarding at one terminus and exiting at the other so the train stops and waits - let any crowds clear before pulling your bags out from under the seats rather than fighting your way through to near the doors while the train is moving!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, akyraty said:

Very helpful post and responses.

If I may also piggy back on to this -Our original departure was 8pm - now postponed to 1AM - however still all aboard by 5pm.

We will drop off luggage 11am, staying at PanPacific the night prior.

Is there time enough to visit Granville Island? Specifically the zodiak tour finishing around 3pm.

Would we make it back to port by 5pm via Public Transit on a Thursday eve?

When I saw reference to other side of the bridge, I'm rethinking my plan.

Thanks again.

Firstly, being a Torontonian you'll likely be awake at oh-dark-hundred thanks to your body clock so you should take advantage of that extra local-time hour or two! And unlike others, you don't even have to check your own bags so no need to wait for the drop to open, early or regular... hand over your bags in your room to one of the bell staff, it's one of the perks of being in the PP. Others have posted pics in prior seasons of the little reminder card you may find in your room, which helpfully gives the suggested tip per bag for this service - you do need to ask for the service the night before, so I'd just do that as soon as you have your room number at check-in.

Secondly, Granville 'Island' despite the name isn't one - it's firmly attached to shore, just on the wrong side of False Creek. You can ride the 50 bus back to the core for dirt-cheap in <30mins, or take one of the wee water taxis for about $4 across to the right side of the creek and walk <3klicks total, or walk about half again as far if you walk over a bridge (you have to backtrack a lot up a hill to reach deck level). Long story short, it's WAY less risky than being at e.g. Capilano, over Lions Gate with its notorious traffic disasters on a regular basis.

I would have zero worries about getting from GI to the pier with 2 hours in hand - but I would not be taking a small boat trip right before that deadline! Anything at all goes awry on that boat ride and who knows how long you bob around awaiting a tow or transfer, or how much extra time limping back to port takes... unless it's a tour around the city's waterfront, rather than say up Howe Sound, in which case you'd never be far from somewhere to land and call a cab or even hop on a bus back to downtown and there would be loads of other boats around to lend a hand.

If it is an out-of-town tour, and the same tour goes in the morning, take THAT one - you could easily walk from the PP to GI to board it before 9am. Every time we fly back here from TeeDot we're up at 6am next day whether we want to be or not, so if you make use of the PPs bag delivery you could be out hunting down a decent brekkie by 7am easily, and have plenty time to either walk the long way or have a nice wander around GIs industrial achitecture while you wait until boat-boarding time...

To illustrate, here's a Google map with the default 'walking' route from PP to GI (not sure which pier your boat would leave from, but most of the tours tend to be on the side of the island I ended the map at, and while you do need to use a water taxi it's almost a straight line!) - flip it to Transit to see the bus route, choose Option: Avoid Ferries to see the longer routes all-on-foot. In T.O. terms, it's pretty much like visiting Centreville from somewhere near Union Station in terms of distance/difficulty to get back to the core (i.e. about 4Klicks, could use transit or just walk it, best to spend a few bucks for a boat unless you're a great swimmer!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, martincath said:

Firstly, being a Torontonian you'll likely be awake at oh-dark-hundred thanks to your body clock so you should take advantage of that extra local-time hour or two! And unlike others, you don't even have to check your own bags so no need to wait for the drop to open, early or regular... hand over your bags in your room to one of the bell staff, it's one of the perks of being in the PP. Others have posted pics in prior seasons of the little reminder card you may find in your room, which helpfully gives the suggested tip per bag for this service - you do need to ask for the service the night before, so I'd just do that as soon as you have your room number at check-in.

Secondly, Granville 'Island' despite the name isn't one - it's firmly attached to shore, just on the wrong side of False Creek. You can ride the 50 bus back to the core for dirt-cheap in <30mins, or take one of the wee water taxis for about $4 across to the right side of the creek and walk <3klicks total, or walk about half again as far if you walk over a bridge (you have to backtrack a lot up a hill to reach deck level). Long story short, it's WAY less risky than being at e.g. Capilano, over Lions Gate with its notorious traffic disasters on a regular basis.

I would have zero worries about getting from GI to the pier with 2 hours in hand - but I would not be taking a small boat trip right before that deadline! Anything at all goes awry on that boat ride and who knows how long you bob around awaiting a tow or transfer, or how much extra time limping back to port takes... unless it's a tour around the city's waterfront, rather than say up Howe Sound, in which case you'd never be far from somewhere to land and call a cab or even hop on a bus back to downtown and there would be loads of other boats around to lend a hand.

If it is an out-of-town tour, and the same tour goes in the morning, take THAT one - you could easily walk from the PP to GI to board it before 9am. Every time we fly back here from TeeDot we're up at 6am next day whether we want to be or not, so if you make use of the PPs bag delivery you could be out hunting down a decent brekkie by 7am easily, and have plenty time to either walk the long way or have a nice wander around GIs industrial achitecture while you wait until boat-boarding time...

To illustrate, here's a Google map with the default 'walking' route from PP to GI (not sure which pier your boat would leave from, but most of the tours tend to be on the side of the island I ended the map at, and while you do need to use a water taxi it's almost a straight line!) - flip it to Transit to see the bus route, choose Option: Avoid Ferries to see the longer routes all-on-foot. In T.O. terms, it's pretty much like visiting Centreville from somewhere near Union Station in terms of distance/difficulty to get back to the core (i.e. about 4Klicks, could use transit or just walk it, best to spend a few bucks for a boat unless you're a great swimmer!)

Awesome, many well written points.

Oh dark hundred 🤣

Thanks again Martincath

3 hours ago, martincath said:

You will probably walk further from your plane to the train, and again 'curb to cabin' at the pier, than the distance from SkyTrain platform to pier! Google Map for the best route with bags is here - this assumes you pay a little attention on the platform and take the exit to Granville Street (if you board the rear of the train, it's that end of the station, but there are signs).

Worst case and you follow the crowds to pop out into the main Waterfront station lobby, it's actually an even simpler route just a little uphill instead of a little downhill! Walk out the doors onto Cordova Street, walk to your right/uphill until you reach Howe St, turn right again, follow the sidewalk, arrive at pier.

Train itself ~26mins end to end, you are boarding at one terminus and exiting at the other so the train stops and waits - let any crowds clear before pulling your bags out from under the seats rather than fighting your way through to near the doors while the train is moving!

Thank you so much for your concise and helpful hints!!👍🙏