Premier Desserts On Gran Princess

Cerbiattina

52 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Remember that every beverage ordered on the ship has 18% gratuity tacked on. 

This is true but the $15 doesn't include the gratuity. So if you order a $14 martini, it's still covered enough though it's $16.52 with the gratuity. At least that's my reading of the small print. 😄

It is all very confusing IMO. Too many ways of charging for things depending on where you are on the ship and the time of day. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cerbiattina said:

Hello

My husband and I will be going on a Cruise to Alaska in late May with Grand Princess. I have Celiac Disease and won't be able to eat any of the Premiere Desserts (based on the ingredients list found on the Internet). I was wondering if plain gelato is included in either package (Plus and Premiere). I tried to search the Internet and the answer is NO according to two sources. Is that correct?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Please contact the Princess "special needs" group and have this information added to your reservation.

As soon as you board, see someone at the main dining room and tell them you have celiac disease.  (Stress that it is "celiac disease" and not just a dietary preference.

These days, there should be quite a few GF options, and they'll be marked on the menus.

In some cases, chefs will be able - and willing - to make something that is not usually GF, but make it in a GF version.  They'll need advance notice, of course.

DH has celiac disease, diagnosed very late in life, so we've only recently been getting used to this.  There are so many GF choices on regular menus these days (even lots of GF pasta in Italy!! 🙂 ).

However, he ALWAYS tells the waitstaff that he NEEDS Gluten Free because he has CELIAC DISEASE (emphasizing some words!).  And when he is served, he *always* asks, "This is the GLUTEN FREE <whatever>, correct?"  I also keep an eye out to make sure he doesn't reach for bread of a roll from the wrong basket by mistake, for example.

If you look at the day's menu and see something you like, there are sometimes easy ways for them to make a small order of something in a GF version, depending upon the recipe.

Enjoy!

GC

I don't drink alcohol either, but I have decided to get the Plus package. It includes the gratuities and wifi, which already adds up to $41. The premium desserts - meh. I might have one or two just to try them. But I do enjoy mocktails by the pool, Coke Zero, water, Perrier, cappuccino, frappes, etc. With the Plus package I won't feel like I have to nickel and dime these things. It also includes the room service charge, so I may do that occasionally. 

7 minutes ago, PG_traveller said:

I don't drink alcohol either, but I have decided to get the Plus package. It includes the gratuities and wifi, which already adds up to $41. The premium desserts - meh. I might have one or two just to try them. But I do enjoy mocktails by the pool, Coke Zero, water, Perrier, cappuccino, frappes, etc. With the Plus package I won't feel like I have to nickel and dime these things. It also includes the room service charge, so I may do that occasionally. 

Agree. I have decided to get the Plus Package.  My husband enjoys a glass of wine at the dinner table and a beer now and then...it is also his cruise! The Premiere is too "unlimited" for us, and I don't want to nickel and dime either. Plus, as you correctly said, the room service will be nice on occasion, especially after a long day exploring Alaska.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Please contact the Princess "special needs" group and have this information added to your reservation.

As soon as you board, see someone at the main dining room and tell them you have celiac disease.  (Stress that it is "celiac disease" and not just a dietary preference.

These days, there should be quite a few GF options, and they'll be marked on the menus.

In some cases, chefs will be able - and willing - to make something that is not usually GF, but make it in a GF version.  They'll need advance notice, of course.

DH has celiac disease, diagnosed very late in life, so we've only recently been getting used to this.  There are so many GF choices on regular menus these days (even lots of GF pasta in Italy!! 🙂 ).

However, he ALWAYS tells the waitstaff that he NEEDS Gluten Free because he has CELIAC DISEASE (emphasizing some words!).  And when he is served, he *always* asks, "This is the GLUTEN FREE <whatever>, correct?"  I also keep an eye out to make sure he doesn't reach for bread of a roll from the wrong basket by mistake, for example.

If you look at the day's menu and see something you like, there are sometimes easy ways for them to make a small order of something in a GF version, depending upon the recipe.

Enjoy!

GC

Thank you! I have already told Princess and selected the option in the Cruise Personalizer. It is terrible how you have to stress the words Disease only because some - perfectly healthy - consider it a lifestyle. I can't even put in my mouth a crumble of contaminated food that   I get so sick for two solid weeks... I am nervous and terrified every time I step outside of the house to eat (rarely) but I can't wait to see Alaska!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cerbiattina said:

Thank you! I have already told Princess and selected the option in the Cruise Personalizer. It is terrible how you have to stress the words Disease only because some - perfectly healthy - consider it a lifestyle. I can't even put in my mouth a crumble of contaminated food that   I get so sick for two solid weeks... I am nervous and terrified every time I step outside of the house to eat (rarely) but I can't wait to see Alaska!

I forgot to mention that we ALWAYS travel with a bunch of GF snacks... things like power bars or snack bars (all individually sealed).  We bring a bunch along in suitcases, and we always have a couple with us for excursions, in case there's nothing suitable to eat.  This would at least get him through the day, til we get back.

Do tell them - if this is correct (and what you just described suggests it is) - if they need to be careful to avoid cross-contamination, so the kitchen(s) know.

GC

Life GF is so much easier now than it was 15 plus years ago when I couldn’t eat gluten. I was not Celiac but had such severe pain that I ended up in hospital repeatedly. Cruise ships are great with it especially. My worries are more when I’m off the ship. I have food allergies now but never had an issue on a cruise. Traditional dinning with set tables are the easiest and order your meal (or dessert) the night before.

20 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Life GF is so much easier now than it was 15 plus years ago when I couldn’t eat gluten. I was not Celiac but had such severe pain that I ended up in hospital repeatedly. Cruise ships are great with it especially. My worries are more when I’m off the ship. I have food allergies now but never had an issue on a cruise. Traditional dinning with set tables are the easiest and order your meal (or dessert) the night before.

I will argue your point. Holland America Cruise to the Caribbean had almost no gluten-free options and you have no idea how often I get sick from eating food that was promised to be gluten-free and non-contaminated and yet is one or the other. Life for people with Celiac Disease and zero tolerance to gluten is pretty isolating. The safest thing is to eat at home. No disrespect for those who don't eat gluten as a "lifestyle" choice, but they have ruined, and keep ruining the lives of those with pure Celiac Disease. Dining facilities think that as long as it says "gluten-free", food, it is ok to eat, with total disregard of cross-contamination. Not to mention that most times they don't even know which food is gluten-free and which one isn't. It happened to me on the Holland America Cruise with a couple of servers. Kudos to the Maitre who took the plate off their hands and educated them about Celiac Disease..

40 minutes ago, Cerbiattina said:

I will argue your point. Holland America Cruise to the Caribbean had almost no gluten-free options and you have no idea how often I get sick from eating food that was promised to be gluten-free and non-contaminated and yet is one or the other. Life for people with Celiac Disease and zero tolerance to gluten is pretty isolating. The safest thing is to eat at home. No disrespect for those who don't eat gluten as a "lifestyle" choice, but they have ruined, and keep ruining the lives of those with pure Celiac Disease. Dining facilities think that as long as it says "gluten-free", food, it is ok to eat, with total disregard of cross-contamination. Not to mention that most times they don't even know which food is gluten-free and which one isn't. It happened to me on the Holland America Cruise with a couple of servers. Kudos to the Maitre who took the plate off their hands and educated them about Celiac Disease..

I’m so sorry to hear that. When I was GF the options were almost non existed and quite horrible tasting and way over priced when you could find them. I use to drive over 2 hours in order to buy a loaf of frozen bread. 

My exposure to GF cruising was Celebrity and I was impressed at the options and the person who was very sensitive to any cross contamination had no issues. It’s unfortunate Holland does not offer the same level of service.

Know there are people who take it seriously out there. Because someone isn’t Celiac doesn’t mean it’s just a lifestyle choice. There are people who have intolerance that are very severe like mine was.

Edited by SoloAlaska

1 hour ago, SoloAlaska said:

My exposure to GF cruising was Celebrity and I was impressed at the options and the person who was very sensitive to any cross contamination had no issues. It’s unfortunate Holland does not offer the same level of service.

It may depend upon the ship, the DR staff, and the kitchen staff... especially the more senior ones who set the standards, and enforce them.

It can also be important to impress UP FRONT if cross contamination is a SEVERE problem.  Did you speak with head staff and make this clear?

We (DH actually) did not have a problem on HAL, just before Covid appeared.

But as I've mentioned, we also kept being proactive, and *every* meal.  We'd remind the person seating us.  We'd emphasize it to the person taking the order, and then, when *anything* was served, we'd emphasize, "This is the GLUTEN FREE version or <name of item>??"

Also, we often find a particular waitstaff member or crew who are clearly more serious about their job.  At that point, we ask the Maître d' to seat us there/with that waitstaff in the future, and mention why.

We noticed on our HAL cruise that there were a few times when we were seated at what certainly appeared to be a two top that was not quite "in" that section, but more like "across the aidle".  And the same waitstaff worked there with us.  It was very much appreciated.

We also made a point to complement the waitstaff to the Maître d' "early and often".  That tends to get good service, too, and people who do pay attention, etc.

But it all depends upon the actual people at the final stages...

And unfortunately, "gluten" isn't something one can instantly detect.  Otherwise, I could be DH's official "taster". 😉 

We've found food service in assorted places to be quite responsive, if we spoke with a senior person.  And the biggest surprise/treat was that in Italy, where DH was expecting to need to avoid most pasta?  EVERY restaurant had GF pasta, and usually a nice selection.  They just needed a bit of extra time.

And in some restaurants, the GF bread or rolls was *better*, and I would then ask for it, too.

GC