Firenze 2024 - any advice?

ober134

We booked a 7 night on Firenze for later this year. We have never sailed from the west coast or have been to any of the ports: Cabo, Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan. I've read thru Venezia reviews and my guess is Firenze will be "Carnival-ized" similarly. Does anyone know what changes are being done? We've already booked airfare to LGB day prior and overnight stay at the Queen Mary. Still looking for air on debarkation day... it's ugly to fly to EST and flights are limited and wish to avoid one of those red-eyes. any tips on anything relevant please - TIA

Hi, Long beach is our home port.  The Queen Mary is literal steps away from the Carnival cruise terminal.    Long Beach has plenty of restaurants that you can grab a bite at during your stay.  There is even a water taxi for a few dollars that is a quick sightseeing trip that operates during the day.  If you arrive early enough there is aquarium of the pacific nearby and also a small outlet mall in case you need some last minute things.  The Mexican riviera is really underrated.  Plenty of activities are available in each port.  We usually use a local vendor for tours as it can save you a great deal compared to ship prices, however keep your eye on the time as to not miss the ship.  The first day or two on this itinerary may not have the best weather but as you travel south the weather get hot and humid.  Don’t forget your sun screen.  Have a great time.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ober134 said:

it's ugly to fly to EST and flights are limited and wish to avoid one of those red-eyes. any tips on anything relevant please - TIA

Honestly, you have a few choices here. Your preferences will drive which you choose, based on avoiding a red eye (and I'm right there with you!). Assuming you are flying back to Pittsburgh (based on your profile location):

1. Look at all of the SOCAL airports (Long Beach, LAX, Orange County) to see if there are noon or later flights that still get back to the East Coast very late that or slightly after midnight. Knowing you will need to change planes (probably) will make a difference if this is even possible. Also, consider that some of these airports are less convenient than others and that traffic in the LA area can be terrible. Southwest, if that is an option, now lets you choose to search for an entire area. In Los Angeles, it includes 5 airports, although Ontario is unlikely to be convenient for you, as it is out East of Los Angeles and would be a LOOOONG ride. Same potential issue for Burbank to the North.

image.thumb.png.e6f79c423c5f7e6ca287a5381eed997e.png

2. Stay an extra day, see Southern California, and fly back in the early/mid-morning the next day. This is the strategy I'm using for a return from Vancouver after an Alaska cruise this summer. In this case, factor in the rental car/uber/hotel you will need to see something that day and get yourself to the airport the next day.

3. Suck up the red-eye. This is unpopular in my household, for sure, but sometimes in the best option for price, etc... I try VERY hard to avoid this too, as my kids don't sleep well on flights, and quite frankly, I don't either!

dctravel