Flying to Singapore from the states

leugerst

Taking a cruise out of Singapore in December and looking at flights, but we've never been through Japan.  How long of layover do we need before boarding a flight to Singapore?

Thanks

Edited by leugerst
verbage

We are also taking a cruise out of Singapore, leaving in October. We have not been to Tokyo either, so we decided to do a layover there for three days as an opportunity to see the city.  We booked our flight as a multi-city and the cost was not that much more than a direct to Singapore.  I realize this doesn't answer your question, but you might want to consider it if you have enough time. I figured we would probably only be in the Asia once, so might as well see Tokyo!

• Like 1

It would be helpful if you told us which airline(s) you are flying, which Japanese city you are passing through, and which airports you will be using.

Tokyo has Narita and Haneda airports, each with three terminals. These are some of the best and most efficient airports in the world. If your flights are connecting in the same terminal, you may need only an hour or so between flights. If you are commuting between terminals, it could take much longer. If you must commute between the two airports, it will take you far longer.

If you are flying through KIX Airport in Osaka, nearly the same story.

Generally you can trust the airlines to know how long it will take you to make a connecting flight. They do not want pax missing connections and stuck in airports, needing yet another flight. When you book your flights, they can advisse you on the approximate connecting times.

Also make sure you book it as one ticket so you are protected in case of mis-connection at (what I assume will be) Narita or Haneda. And try to avoid having to go between Narita and Haneda unless you have a good amount of time...and still, make sure it's one ticket. 

More details would be beneficial. 

• Like 1

Transit through Narita (NRT) several times in the past to change planes (one ticket). Each time I had to go through security.  You get off the plane on the lower arrival level, security, and escalator to the upper departure level. 

The closest was 45 minutes on JAL; they were "last call" when we got to the departure gate.