Car rental at Leknes/Gravdal, Lofoten Islands, Norway

Does anyone have experience or recommendations on renting a car in Leknes? We'll be in port on a Sunday in the summer. Most rentals are from the airport, which is not walking distance. Furthermore, Hertz and Avis are closed on Sundays. Sixt is open on Sundays and at the airport and they want $500-$1000 for a single day rental. There is one local company (Rentacar Lofoten) that will deliver to the port and it costs around $350 however the Google reviews are pretty wretched, with many people saying that the cars are in a horrible state of disrepair. I'm waiting to hear back from another company on whether or not they can deliver to the port.  I had reserved a bus tour for our family of four, but it's over $500 and with teens I think we'd have a better time exploring on our own as we have 12 hours in port. 

Crazy prices, but sometimes the demand for rental cars in Lofoten by far exceeds he capacity and then market economy unfortunately rules. You could be better off exploring the "AirBnB" of rental cars; https://no.getaround.com and check where if the owner would be willing to deliver to port or nearby. Cars might be older than what you would expect at Avis and its likes, but for driving around one day it could acceptable allowing money to be better spent at other experiences. There are some very nice hikes that could be recommended in the area that leads to spectacular viewpoints if you (and he teens) are up for it 🙂

DSC_0450.JPG

DSC_0442.jpg

Thank you for the suggestion.  I've already reached out to two car owners on Getaround to see if they can deliver to or near the port. I'll see what they say. Have you used Getaround before? I'm also still considering the one rental company that does deliver to Port. Upon further evaluation of their reviews, it seems like they were either spammed or targeted by bots.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, buffy9678 said:

Thank you for the suggestion.  I've already reached out to two car owners on Getaround to see if they can deliver to or near the port. I'll see what they say

If the car rental idea falls through for whatever reason, you could perhaps consider using a public ferry or a bus, and it could we worth exploring either or both ideas.

Edited by edinburgher

4 hours ago, buffy9678 said:

Any idea how available or reliable public transit is in Leknes? I had the impression that I had to plan ahead for this port.

Sorry,  no, but with Leknes being a port,and ferries used quite extensively in Norway for A to B and longer journeys,  I would check these before checking public buses.

I had the impression that I had to plan ahead for this port.

Definitely. and your new best friend is probably Google.😀(or the Leknes Tourist Information Office)