Menden Hall Glacier by canoe and Nugget Falls Trail???

kgarroutte

I'm searching and searching. We are hoping to see the face of Menden Hall Glacier from Menden Hall Lake (so maybe Canoe?), but we ALSO want to hike the Nugget Falls Trail and maybe see some ice caves if possible. Any recommended private tours? I saw a review of shuttles being available from downtown, but they didn't go up to the face of the glacier, and definitely didn't include any ice caves. Thanks for the help! We'll be in Juneau in July from 7am-3pm.

You can see the face of the glacier from the visitor's center and from Nugget Falls trail, but you will not be anywhere close to ice caves.  If memory serves me right, you have to hike the West Glacier Trail to get to the caves, and the trek down to the glacier itself is pretty sketchy.  It's about a 5-6 hour round trip hike.    

I did the canoe excursion a couple years ago.  We didn't get all that close to the glacier.  The kayakers were getting closer.  After viewing the glacier, we rowed over to Nugget Falls where we were able to get out of the canoe and had a snack.  It's one of my favorite Alaska excursions.

On the way back, we passed some icebergs (but didn't get too close as you never know what's under the surface).

20210915_104255.jpg

20210915_110856.jpg

20210915_110925.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/4/2024 at 10:59 AM, SomewhereGirl said:

I did the canoe excursion a couple years ago.  We didn't get all that close to the glacier.  The kayakers were getting closer.  After viewing the glacier, we rowed over to Nugget Falls where we were able to get out of the canoe and had a snack.  It's one of my favorite Alaska excursions.

On the way back, we passed some icebergs (but didn't get too close as you never know what's under the surface).

20210915_104255.jpg

20210915_110856.jpg

20210915_110925.jpg

Who did you do this tour through?