Walking With Penguins

DaMom

I understand there are opportunities to get fairly up close to penguins at several ports in South America.  What are the best places to see penguins and be allowed to walk near them (no contact, obviously!) among the following: Puerto Madryn, Falkland Islands, Ushuaia, Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt. Thanks! from two big Penguin Fans...

We used Kidney Cove Tours on the Falklands.  Our friends are amazed when they see the photos and at how close we were to the penguins.  We saw 4 different species of penguins and it was a fabulous tour.  Cherie

If you want to see King Penguins, then the Falkland Islands is your only choice.

I did a review of the South American cruise we did in 2022 and you can see our comments regarding the Falkland Islands starting a post #148.

Puerto Madryn and Punta Arenas are other cruise ports where you can get close to the penguins.  Some of the ports are a 50/50 chance of being able to go ashore because of weather.  Our excursion in Punta Arenas was cancelled because of wind.  We did go ashore but were not able to make the boat trip to the penguins. In Puerto Madryn we chose a private tour that included penguins plus elephant seals, seal lions, and other wild life but I think there was a tour that was just for penguins.   The Falklands is also a 50/50 chance.  We were lucky and we were soooooo happy.  I think you should not choose just one location to be close to the penguins because mother nature decides what you will be able to do.  You will see so many penguins and just be amazed.  Cherie  

You will be surrounded by King Penguins at Volunteer Point in the Falklands. There are so many penguins on the move that you have to step out of their way as they waddle between the shore and the rookery. 

See photos here.