RC PADI Open Water Diver Course

I apologize in advance if this isn't the correct forum for this post! Please point me in the right direction and I'll gladly repost my question.

This winter we've booked a cruise on Royal's Harmony of the Seas for the whole family. My daughter (24yo) and I have already registered for the PADI Open Water Diver Course. I know that the class involves diving at two different cruise ports to complete the experience. We're 100% fine with that. 

Our question is, will those two cruise ports be the first two on our itinerary, Roatan and Costa Maya (in order)? Or, could it be a combination of any two of the three ports? We're trying to sort out which of the three ports the whole family can do something together.

Because I know y'all will ask, she lives halfway across the country and we want to learn to scuba dive together. It's a fun father/daughter bonding experience which is why we're not doing it beforehand.

@Nike4000

Several things:

First, it sounds like you've done this, but please make sure the course is the Open Water Diver course.  At one time RC also offered a Scuba Diver course on board.  Scuba Diver and Open Water Diver are not the same, and you definitely want Open Water Diver. 

Second, Hopefully it would be the first two ports, but I've never heard of either Royal or any other line doing a diving excursion in Mahahual (Costa Maya).  For this reason I suspect your third port will be where the second two dives take place.  You didn't say, but I'm pretty sure that will be Cozumel.  I believe the instructor you have aboard the ship will also be the instructor conducting your open water dives; the alternative is the dives will be conducted by the staff at the contracted dive operator (Anthony's key Resort in Roatan, and Sand Dollar in Cozumel).  If the dives are not done by the instructor from the ship, be absolutely certain you get the paperwork called a referral form, completed by the instructor after the first two dives.  if weather or something else causes a cancellation of the second two that paper becomes critical to getting your certification completed after your trip. 

Finally, presuming all goes to plan, and you gel all your dives, the instructor ont he ship should be able to process your certification before the end of the cruise.  If not, please get absolutely everything so that if there's a problem you can try to get it resolved.  You'll need the ship board instructor's PADI number, as well as the instructor numbers of any other instructor that conducted the open water dive.  This is critical because if anything happens, where the instructor doesn't process the certifications, you'll need every detail to try to get it resolved.  A friend did his course on a Royal Caribbean ship, and weather knocked out one day of his dives, and since he didn't have any documentation of what he'd done, he had to start all over.

Harris

Denver, CO

Wow!! I can’t thank you enough for the amazingly detailed and thorough response @omeinv!! Holy smokes this is far beyond what I could have hoped for! Dude, I’m printing & saving your post and will definitely add it to my file for reference prior to the cruise.

To answer your first question, I can confirm that we booked the exact excursion, I copy & pasted the excursion name when writing the post to make sure I referenced it correctly. Below is a screen grab from the RC app of the excursion I booked.

For your second question, you are correct, Cozumel is the third port. Sounds like we should focus on family activities in Costa Maya. I assume we’ll find out exactly which ports we’re diving at before we sail, hopefully?!?! Maybe?

We’ll only have 1 sea day between Cozumel and the return to Galveston. Will that allow sufficient time to get the necessary certificates and paperwork done? I’ll be rather irked if we complete the process and the instructor drops the ball on wrapping everything up before we debark.

Any additional advice will be greatly appreciated. We’ve both got local PADI dive shops “near” us and we’re going to visit them to get the necessary gear (while also looking to build relationships for future scuba adventures). 

From my app:

image.png.055ae49355d8cab039c546ac8fd71647.png

13 minutes ago, Nike4000 said:

@Nike4000

To answer your first question, I can confirm that we booked the exact excursion, I copy & pasted the excursion name when writing the post to make sure I referenced it correctly. Below is a screen grab from the RC app of the excursion I booked.

For your second question, you are correct, Cozumel is the third port. Sounds like we should focus on family activities in Costa Maya. I assume we’ll find out exactly which ports we’re diving at before we sail, hopefully?!?! Maybe?

Costa Maya is great.  You won't be certified yet, which is a shame, there's great diving there.  Even so, don't just stay at the port, take a cab into the town of Mahahual.  Nice beach.

15 minutes ago, Nike4000 said:

We’ll only have 1 sea day between Cozumel and the return to Galveston. Will that allow sufficient time to get the necessary certificates and paperwork done? I’ll be rather irked if we complete the process and the instructor drops the ball on wrapping everything up before we debark.

Yes, it's all done electronically now.  You should have the PADI app.  Once everything is done, the instructor should be able to go online, upload your completion record, and your certification processes immediately.  Once it does, your C-Card will be visible in your app. 

You should receive access to your E-learning materials prior to the cruise.  It's very important that you and your daughter (you'll each have your own accounts, each with materials) complete the E-Learning prior to the beginning of your training.  If you don't you'll be at a disadvantage during the class and pool sessions on the ship. 

You will also need a medical sign-off.  The form asks several questions, and if certain questions are answered "yes" you'll need a doctor's sign-off.  Needless to say you'll want this done in advance.  It's disheartening when someone cannot be in a class they've signed up for because they failed to get this form completed. 

Your correct to establish a relationship with a local dive shop. Once you're certified, you'll want that source for further training and equipment. 

Please e-mail me (the link is below), as I have a diving friend in the Dallas area, that can probably suggest which shop is best. 

Harris

Denver, CO

So, our ports, in order are Roatan, Costa Maya, and then Cozumel. Which two are we most likely to have our open water dives? If we skip Costa Maya for the dive, the family will probably stay on the ship. My wife isn’t a fan of that port and my son hates the beach. So,… family fun time on the ship!

I’ve read about the course work and am looking forward to it. Many years ago I participated in a program through the Scripps Oceanography Institute in California and on one of the days we were snorkeling, a Scripps guide (he was a scuba instructor) started walking us through the hand signals, basics of scuba, cool stuff like that. It’s been 40 or so years since then and I’m eager to see how much my old brain remembers.

I have am appointment with my PCP in May and based on what you said I’m setting a reminder to tell him about the scuba course. That should give me plenty of time to work on any areas of concern while leaving time to get the doctor’s sign off in the fall. My daughter won’t have any issues, she’s super physically active with her horses and other interests.

Thank you for all of the information you shared, it’s really helpful! Notes have been made and reminders scheduled!

I’ll send you an email about the dive shop recommendation, that will be amazing!

Couple things:

You are very correct to head into your local dive shop at this time. In your case(s) the single most important thing you should purchase is a properly fitting dive mask. DO NOT BUY YOUR MASK ON AMAZON, do this at your local shop where there are a variety of masks to try on and an expert for guidance and help with fit. If you were to also buy a matching snorkel, some defog, are the special concoction to take the film off the mask--all accessories OK to purchase as well. I would limit myself to mask at this point, all the other gear will be provided by Royal. I would even hold off on buying fins.

When you receive your online access code, hit the books! Show up to Day One prepared. Take notes during this, and keep a blank piece of paper for questions , comments, topics that "aren't entirely clear", and especially other diving questions that aren't in the curriculum. Your instructor will LOVE you for bringing these questions up! Nothing-- and I mean nothing, is off limits.

Start watching YouTube!!! You can't watch enough Open Water related videos to get familiar with the skills that will be asked of you. Watch good behavior and equally watch bad. 

If you prepare with the above things, this will make your OW training as easy as possible. And, you'll be head and shoulders above your other classmates.

@Bobroo - thanks for the excellent tips, we'll definitely come prepared.

Two questions:

1. Why not go ahead and get our fins as well? 
  2. What sort of YouTube videos should we be watching? Do you have any channels you'd recommend?

Okay, technically that was 3 questions, but I think the second two come as a single package. 😁

The great thing is that we have loads of time to prepare and it sounds like we'll need to take advantage of as much of that prep time as possible.

1 hour ago, Nike4000 said:

@Bobroo - thanks for the excellent tips, we'll definitely come prepared.

Two questions:

1. Why not go ahead and get our fins as well? 
  2. What sort of YouTube videos should we be watching? Do you have any channels you'd recommend?

Okay, technically that was 3 questions, but I think the second two come as a single package. 😁

The great thing is that we have loads of time to prepare and it sounds like we'll need to take advantage of as much of that prep time as possible.

@Bobroo had great advice.  The best mask for you is simply the one that fits best.  Ideally the shop you buy from will have a pool, where you can try the mask in the water.  Expect to pay somewhere between $85.00 and $150.00 for a mask.  Snorkels are required for your Open Water course in the pool and for the four certification dive.  However, once you're certified you'll likely not wear a snorkel while diving, so I wouldn't spend much money on one.  Good snorkels range from $30.00 to $80.00.  I'd borrow one, or use what's provided. 

For fins, a lot of people don't buy fins early because they're a hassle to pack.  They're bulky and relatively heavy.  Also new divers almost always buy fins based on price, and then end up spending the same money again when they replace those fins with good one.  If you decide to buy fins now, look for an open heel fin, with a bungee strap. These work with a dive boot.  The bungee strap provides in essence a perfect fit every time, versus an adjustable rubber strap that is (a bit) more effort to put on/take off, and is easy to over tighten.  The boots are nice because they provide a buffer between your foot and the fin, so they're much more comfortable, for walking on the beach, and even on the boat.  If you buy boots, get the boot height with a zipper, rather than the ankle height.  The ankle height - while they don't seem like they would - will get sand and rock in them.  I use the Scubapro Delta 5mm boots, and have for years.  They're as good as any I've found.  They're about $80.00   For fins my favorites are the Scubapro Seawing Novas.  They are $260.00.  Add your fins and boots, and you can see you're well over $300.00, which is why I'd rather see you wait, use what's provided, and then buy when the value of the good fins is clear. 

When a new diver asks me what to buy, I say mask first for sure, make a decision on fins second, and then look at a dive computer.  There are a lot of good computers in the $400.00 to $500.00 range, and a computer is now just about a base piece of equipment.  In fact none of the training agencies mandate teaching the dive tables as part of the Open Water Diver course, as computers have become ubiquitous.  They definitely make diving safer, and allow you to get more out of each diving day. 

Harris

Denver, CO

So much fantastic information from both of you! This is awesome for a noob!

I swear that I read somewhere in the fine print on the excursion that the participants need to provide their own masks, snorkels, and fins but I'm at a loss finding it right now. I'm sure we'll get some clarity closer to the cruise. I don't mind buying quality gear, especially if it'll make the experience even more enjoyable. Better first experience = stronger likelihood of a second experience. Also, we're driving to the port, so adding a bag of scuba gear to the car is not a big deal - yet. I'm sure if I had to lug tanks, etc., to the port I'd quickly change my tune!

When I hit the local dive shop, I'll keep your preferred gear in mind and use it as a comparative. Knowing an experienced diver prefers X equipment is always helpful.

At this point, I'll probably hold off on the dive computer, But, for round 2 it's definitely in the mix!

It's not uncommon for a course to require students to have their own mask, snorkel and fins.  I can certainly imagine this being a requirement for a ship-based course.  The shop where I teach takes the opposite approach.  We discourage students from purchasing gear until they've tried different options in the pool during their course.  That way they know, and we know, things fit them properly and they're happy. That's easy enough to do when you have dozens of pieces of equipment on hand.  A ship-based program likely doesn't have that luxury. 

I stand by my advice above though, if you're going to spend money buy the right gear, so you only spend the money once.  I wouldn't want to tell you how many times I've re-learned that lesson.  Suffice it to say I could probably outfit you completely with gear I bought, then replaced when I upgraded.  😵‍💫

Harris

Denver, CO

Yeah, space is definitely at a premium on the cruise ship. Plus I can imagine that spending time outfitting every participant takes away from time allocated to teaching. Makes lots of sense to have us arrive with our own kits.

I 100% agree about getting the right gear. If I'm battling my mask the whole time, not only will the experience suck because of that irritation, but it's very likely I'll miss something important the instructor has to say. 

An OW course with Royal Caribbean includes everything; including mask, snorkel, fins etc. BTW, their rental gear (the gear you'll be loaned to use) is decent quality Aqua Lung equipment. And, they prodigiously keep it up doing all the required inspections of BCs, regulators, and even send out their tanks for visual inspections and hydros like they are supposed to. Even though Royal charges a good buck for their OW cert courses, I still think there is excellent value for the diver.

Don't run out and spend a million dollars on dive gear! I've recommended putting some money into a dive mask for some specific reasons and exactly for the reasons @omeinv has said; mainly: your mask should fit properly and feel comfortable. Also I would add if you went out and bought a nice low volume mask with squishy silicone and spent some time prepping it up, you'll feel you are bringing some tools to the game. But also, if this were not to go as planned; having the nice mask that can be used for snorkeling on future cruises is not a bad investment either.

What Youtube? Well, I know that I am sending you down a rabbit hole to YouTubes' never ending algorithm of scuba videos. Just start with Open+Water+Scuba and that should be enough to start 1000's of hours of viewing. Again, watch everything. You don't have to care what language it is in, how long ago it was published, or even who the channel poster is. 

Harris had mentioned taking a new mask into a pool and I couldn't agree more. If you can't do so pre cruise. You can do it on embarkation day once onboard. It is generally frowned upon and maybe even against Royal policy for masks, fins, snorkel to be used during public pool hours, however....if you bring just your mask and are consciously working on its' fit or even  <hint, hint> doing your own practice version of mask clearing, the lifeguards won't blink an eye; even in the solarium pool. 

One final thing, I am not sure if you are solid Royal Caribbean cruisers but I will say, the dive Royal offers at Coco Cay is an excellent, excellent, excellent place to do one of your first dives after getting your OW cert. It means you pass the class and go on a whole other cruise, but I'm just say'n that is a perfect dive for new OW divers.

@Bobroo - That's great to hear about RC's commitment to providing a quality experience. I honestly had no idea what to expect and am so happy to hear that it should be a quality situation. 

Based on what I'm reading from everyone, it sounds like it's a wise investment to purchase quality masks beforehand. Beyond that, it's going to be up to my daughter and me to figure out how far we want to take things before we've had our first class. That makes perfect sense and I'm totally on board with it. Although, I'm so stoked to finally be moving forward on a dream I've had since I was a kid, the dive shop team might have an easy time upselling me on a few additional items.

I'm heading down the YouTube rabbit hole for dive videos, wish me luck!

Another perspective.....

In regards to equipment.  The class I took at home was one of the few if not the only one I looked at that didn't require you buy a mask and fins. I did my class/confined dives at home and my OW cert dives on a cruise. 

Since I dive only on cruises, either through the ships excursions or book with a shop privately I did over 20 dives before I bought my own mask. I never had a problem with a rental mask leak even with a mustache/full beard. The only issue I even had was that I have neanderthal brow ridge that some of the lens frames press into at depth which is uncomfortable. I took notes of every mask I used and bought a $50 Cressi Matrix which is very comfortable over the 7 or 8 dives I've used it.

One thing I did buy was a  3mm wet suit. I get/got cold diving (don't have a lot of fat on me) even though most places have shorty wet suits. After the second set of cert dives I bought a full length wet suit and boots.

I now have over 30 dives and still don't have my own dive fins or dive computer.

I will agree with Harris however, if you do get fins, buy open heal ones. Most rental fins are closed heal and won't fit boots.  Since I only dive once or twice a year on cruises I can get by without my own fins but its nice when the rentals are open healed with at least straps so I can wear my boots. Boots are good for shore dives, not really necessary for boat dives.

My rationale for not buying a computer is that I don't really dive enough to justify the cost. Every dive I've been on have been guided by dive masters and the open water cert only allows you to go down to 60' max anyway.

Bottom line....I have no desire or intention of doing advanced open water. If I was younger I'd probably go all in with certs and equipment but at my age, it's just a once or twice a year recreational thing.  Would I like a dive computer and my own fins? Sure. Can I afford them? Sure.  Do I need them? Nope.

@mac66 - thanks for the different perspective, I'll definitely take that into consideration. I'm not entirely sure what our focus will be once we get certified. It might become a major focus, or might just be a once or twice a year recreational thing. Honestly have no clue at this point.

We'll more than likely purchase the masks simply because we both enjoy snorkeling and would have enjoyed our most recent snorkeling excursion if we had masks that fit us better than the ones the vendor offered. 

I'm just collecting all of this info at this point and will see where we end up at the end of the year.

On 3/16/2024 at 11:40 AM, Nike4000 said:

@mac66 - thanks for the different perspective, I'll definitely take that into consideration. I'm not entirely sure what our focus will be once we get certified. It might become a major focus, or might just be a once or twice a year recreational thing. Honestly have no clue at this point.

We'll more than likely purchase the masks simply because we both enjoy snorkeling and would have enjoyed our most recent snorkeling excursion if we had masks that fit us better than the ones the vendor offered. 

I'm just collecting all of this info at this point and will see where we end up at the end of the year.

I looked very closely at the RC dive program when I wanted to get certified. I would have gone that way hadn't the opportunity to do the classroom/confined water part popped up when it did. As I recall you had to buy your own mask either through RC or bring your own.

I've also dived through the ship and have met many of the RC dive masters/instructors. Sometime they come along and dive with you on ship dive excursions. All the ones I've met have taken their instructor jobs very seriously and you have figure that they probably teach the class every single week, week in and week out, so they know their stuff.

I'm sure you will have a great experience.

Well, over the weekend we received an email from Royal Diver with instructions for getting access to the PADI online course material. Hopefully between now and our end-of-year cruise my daughter and I can complete the classroom part! 

So far, I've been impressed with Royal's execution. I wasn't expecting the email from them until about 3 months before the cruise. The lead time assures we can sort out the medical forms and get proper studying in. Love it!

My daughter has already visited a dive shop near her and has tried on some masks. I'm lagging behind in that department, but I'll get there.

• 4 weeks later...

Random follow-up question - my daughter was able to successfully submit her health certification form (I have a few issues my doctor wants to discuss with me first) and now has access to the E-learning portion of the course. Yesterday afternoon she started working on section 1 of the online learning. Will she have any issues come December if she passes the course this far in advance? Meaning, is there a specific timeframe that you need to complete the practical portion of the course after completing the online portion? I'd hate for her to get on the ship and find out that because she completed the online course more than 6 months earlier, that she'd have to retake it or something similar. I'm assuming not, but want to ask the experts.

@Nike4000

Good question, but not to worry.  There is no time limit on this portion of your training.   There can be issues if there is a delay between the when a student finishes class/pool portion and completion of the certification dives.  Clearly that won’t be an issue for you doing the course on the ship.  

Harris

Denver, CO