One day in Tokyo

Cathygh

We have 1 free day in Tokyo, and it might be the only time we go there. Can any one recommend are the top 5 things to do that are easy to get to from the Mercure Ginza please? thanks. BTW we like history and culture, and may be a tea ceremony

5 hours ago, Cathygh said:

We have 1 free day in Tokyo, and it might be the only time we go there. Can any one recommend are the top 5 things to do that are easy to get to from the Mercure Ginza please? thanks. BTW we like history and culture, and may be a tea ceremony

WOW!  I think you need to start making a list of your most important "wants."  If you happen to be in Tokyo during Sakura (Cherry Blossom time) that should also be a consideration.  Tokyo has an excellent public transportation system (both subway and a circle train line).  You might want to read about "Suica" cards which can really be handy in both Tokyo and some other parts of Japan.  

DW and I do not like tours (we are very independent) but you might want to consider hiring your own guide for the day.  It will cost money, but a decent guide will really help you maximize your time.  

Given what you say in your post, I would probably make a visit to Senso-Ji Temple a priority.  I am also a big fan of Ueno Park which is where you will find many of Tokyo's best museums.  

A word about the Ginza district.  It is a lively area with plenty of shops, department stores, restaurants, etc.  But it is not where you find most of the "cultural places" that you will seek.  So, if you are going to spend the day on your own, do some pre-trip homework about using the subway system. 

I again would urge you to consider hiring a private guide since Tokyo is very large and can overwhelm many tourists who are not used to dealing with sprawling cities.  Many on CC like to use "Tours by Locals" but there are many other tour services you can find online.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seconding the recommendation for a guide. I couldn't imagine trying to fit everything into a single day in the city. Are you going soon? This summer/fall? Next year? This will impact the crowd levels and how busy certain places will be at any given time. Tokyo sprawls over multiple neighborhoods and "wards," I believe there are 23 in all, and the tourist attractions aren't centralized in any one place.

Tours By Locals, GoWithGuide, and Get Your Guide are all marketplaces where you'll be able to hire and compare tour guide services. Yes, a little expensive. But a good guide will be able to help you navigate the very busy public transportation systems, make specific reservations (like if you want to experience a tea ceremony), and customize an itinerary. The transportation is the most important piece; it's easy to lose 15-20 mins of your day at a time trying to navigate within a subway or train station.

If you really do not want to hire a guide, then Senso-ji Temple, Meiji Jingu, and the Imperial Palace and Gardens are three recommendations I would make off the top of my head. Meiji Jingu is quite a ways away from Ginza, though. The Palace and Senso-ji are much closer, both to Ginza and to each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both. We will be there at the end of this month, just in time for cherry blossom. I will take a look at your suggestions and draw up a shortlist. I know we can't do everything so I'll just concentrate on may be three must sees.

• Like 1

Similar to what thehowlingroad describes, I find the various neighbourhoods/districts are generally easy to get to by subway and/or the JR Yamanote circle line but the metropolis is fairly sprawled so you can spend a lot of time in transit getting from one end of Tokyo to the other.  I also agree that a guide might be handy to maximize one day for a first vist to Japan/Tokyo which can be a bit overwhelming.

For history and culture, I agree that both the Asakusa neighbourhood with Senso-ji Temple and Ueno Park with the National Museum likely fit a lot of what you are looking for from a history and cultural perspective.

You mention tea ceremony.  I believe they do one in Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden but please confirm yourself.

Possible Ginza tip.  I think they shut down the main street on the weekends in the summer.  (Again please check if they still do.)  It's kind of fun to walk up the boulevard in the middle of the street.  Some of the buildings have rooftops that you can go up to check out the views for free.  Check out the food hall/floor of one of the major department stores.  

This likely doesn't fit in your criteria as it's more modern Tokyo (and also crosstown from Asakusa) but a few of my favourite iconic touristy things to when in Tokyo are:  Visit Shibuya neighbourhood and checkout the scramble crossing and visit Shinjuku neighbourhood to check out the lights.

• Like 1

Japanese Tea Ceremony (Sado): Immerse yourself in the cherished, serene, and intricate tea ceremonies that epitomize Japanese culture. From the meticulous yet soothing pouring rituals to the delectable wagashi treats and tranquil ambiance, it offers the ultimate relaxation experience. For an enhanced experience, consider donning a traditional Japanese kimono while enjoying a cup of green tea. Locations to Explore: Shinjuku (Maikoya), Ginza (Chazen Tea Ceremony). Important Reminder: Prior to the ceremony, familiarize yourself with the etiquette associated with Japanese tea ceremonies.
Shrines and Temples: Tokyo boasts a wealth of historical shrines that narrate the nation's spiritual journey. From ornate shrines steeped in Shinto traditions to Buddhist temples welcoming visitors worldwide, delving into this delicate yet enlightening aspect of Japanese culture sets the perfect tone for your Tokyo exploration. Locations to Explore: Sensoji Temple, Meiji Jingu Shrine, Tennoji Temple, Toshogu Shrine, Tomioka Hachiman Shrine. Important Reminder: Each temple and shrine upholds specific etiquette not only to honor their spiritual essence but also to preserve their physical integrity. Consult a local guide for guidance on observing these customs during your visit.