Question RE: Water Toys on Culture Immersion Itineraries

We are on an Iceland/Norway Fjords cruise in July and wondering if the kayaks and other water toys will be available for use? Also, do they get the zodiacs out for tours? I've called Atlas and they were not sure. Thanks for any information!

I’ll be interested to hear if anyone knows the answer to this as well. We did the Edinburgh to Dublin cruise on the World Traveler last September and did not use any of the water toys. We will be on the Traveler again in August for Greece to Venice.

Been on Adriatic / Mediterranean and Antarctica trips but not Iceland or Norway so can't give first hand experience of that area but relatable from the other two perhaps.

And having been, I know understand better why Corporate might not know about use of "toys".  Prior to our Med cruise I too phoned them and was disappointed with "they'll decide on board so maybe" response. 

Use of kayaks is very dependant on sea conditions but more so, wind. And not just now but in say 30 minutes later when you are trying to return. We were out in a tandem and doing well. Excursion team started rounding up the various kayakers to bring them back to the nearby ship (providing lee from wind). We were doing fine a little separated from the rest. We started paddling back. Harder and harder but just a wee bit better than just holding position. Nearing the ship we were surprised how far away the excursion team had drifted with their group rounding up the others to tow them back. Felt safe but an eye opener how strongly affected a kayak is in the wind.

The other issue is the port authorities. We were anchored off Dubrovnik. The team were on stand-by waiting for approval. And that is also dependant on how the port authorities are predicting the weather and the port traffic. They do not want group of amateur kayakers interfering with other traffic or worse.

So will you get to kayak? Maybe. I truly believe the ship team wanted to provide the experience and did their best to provide it when possible.

As for other "toys" I can't say. Use of seado was not available for us due to insurance clearances ( so we heard though the rumour mill). 

As for zodiacs that, while still subject to favourable weather, and again wind seemed to be the big one (we were out in snow and hit light rain a couple of times) I think their use is more itinerary dependant.

If your cruise is ports then no but maybe a ride within a fjord. That said the ships are so nicely small sized and manoeuverable that they can tour wonderfully within fjords I suspect. 

So after all that, maybe. Hopefully someone who has been on your particular itinerary will respond. I've just tried to give some thoughts on why "maybe".

• Like 1