How to spend 24 hours in Bali?

ZulasRuby

Will be stopping in Benoa overnight next January.  Our cruise includes many prepaid tour options, spread over two days.  What are the must-sees?  (Don't want to spend time at a beach as I live on one.)  Thank you!

On 3/9/2024 at 11:53 AM, Mar1987 said:

Go to Ubud, the artists and paintors village...you can get nice paintings representing balinese landscapes, dances.....

..........plus woodworkers, stoneworkers, etc, all in conjoined little villages that make up Ubud. And a street of stalls selling those artefacts, opposite a walk-thru monkey sanctuary (no fee when we were there). 

And / or the traditional Kecak sunset fire dance at Uluwatu Temple on the cliff overlooking the west coast. Quite spectacular, and in a spectacular setting. Worth arriving early to explore the temple

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=332c45449e59f683&rlz=1C1GEWG_en-GBGB999GB999&sxsrf=ACQVn09M5cqGdQ3YP6dT5DucxySkTkg-Yg:1710078539480&q=Uluwatu+Temple+Sunset+and+Kecak+Fire+Dance&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjws4j_6umEAxVbUUEAHRwFA2cQ0pQJegQIDhAB&biw=1234&bih=671&dpr=1.25#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:d9b3c5b0,vid:pA9xzSfnLLc,st:0

(not my video)

Monkeys here too.

JB 🙂

There isn't much of anything close to the port terminal in Benoa.  And when we were there in 2019 (embarking the ship), there wasn't even much in the terminal itself.  

We went to Bali early, stayed in Ubud, and hired a driver to take us around for a few days.  My favorite places were near Ubud - Jatiluweh Rice Fields, and the Monkey Forest not far from Ubud.  There's also one right in Ubud, though I didn't go there, so can't compare. Ubud itself has lots of things to see, and I think it's about an hour from Benoa, so doable on a port day if you start early or take a ship's excursion.  My pictures will give you an idea of what we did, although we did all of what's pictured there by walking (while in Ubud) or by using a driver.  But I agree that Ubud is a great place to go.  And if I went to Bali again, I'd probably want to at least see Tanah Lot. There's a large park not terribly far from Benoa that has a lot of cultural things.  But I don't remember the name, and didn't go.  So I can't say if it's worthwhile.  

If you give us an idea of what excursions you can choose from, I might have opinions on some of them.  But of course it's one person's opinion, only, and I suppose it depends upon what you're interested in.  And also to a lesser extent, it may depend upon how much you want to do in one day.  I love touring, and going to the cultural places, but I found Bali quite hot and humid, so I had to spend a bit less time touring than I anticipated, especially since a lot of what I wanted to see was outside. And we had just gotten there, so the time difference made it hard for me to enjoy as much as I would have liked. 

Anyway, my photos are here if you want to take a look (no need to sign in or anything, but make sure you push tab for "All" photos):  https://pbase.com/roothy123/bali_for_3_glorious_days