TRANSFER FROM HEATHROW TO SOUTHAMPTON

20 hours ago, Thunderbird19 said:

Thanks for mentioning this group. Just booked them for Southampton to London this October. We are staying in London a couple extra days post cruise and they had a nice day tour picking up in the morning at the cruise ship and going through Cotswolds and ending up at Heathrow or London  very late in the afternoon. Perfect !  We ( and our luggage) were going to just take the train into London that morning on our own, but it’s nice to have this Cotswold trip ( 3 stops in quaint villages) and not have to deal with luggage!

I have taken International Friends from Southampton to London - Salisbury, Stonehenge and Windsor.  They drop you off at your London hotel door, a Plus.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2024 at 10:12 PM, texswamper said:

I have booked with Paragon Taxis for our cruise in October.  I read many reviews and got quotes from at least three different companies.  I think I'm also going to use them for a full day of private touring from our Southampton hotel since we are arriving three days before the cruise.  https://paragontaxis.co.uk

We will be going at a different time but thinking of doing 2 or 3 days before as well. Can I ask your hotel and touring plans?

On 5/28/2024 at 1:02 PM, cruisetilidrop said:

We will be going at a different time but thinking of doing 2 or 3 days before as well. Can I ask your hotel and touring plans?

Right now we are booked at the Ennios Boutique Hotel for 3 nights but I may change to a different hotel or even an Airbnb in order to have a larger room with a more comfortable seating arrangement.  We are thinking about day trip to Isle of Wight and Winchester.  I have inquired with paragon taxis about a private guided tour as well if we choose not to wing it on our own.  Just haven't made the final decision yet.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, texswamper said:

Right now we are booked at the Ennios Boutique Hotel for 3 nights but I may change to a different hotel or even an Airbnb in order to have a larger room with a more comfortable seating arrangement.  We are thinking about day trip to Isle of Wight and Winchester.  I have inquired with paragon taxis about a private guided tour as well if we choose not to wing it on our own.  Just haven't made the final decision yet.   

Thank you for info!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, texswamper said:

Booking a taxi tour from your hotel / AirB&B for Winchester or the Isle of Wight isn't a good idea.

Winchester has a crowded little city centre & altho there's no restriction on driving into it cars aren't welcome & parking is difficult - there are large park-and-ride parking lots on the city boundary. The centre is compact and very walkable.

Better and a lot cheaper to travel to Winchester by train or bus, and if you want a guide (Paragon is a taxi service, not a tour organiser) book one based in Winchester for walking tour or join a group walking tour.

To get the best out of the Isle of Wight, yes a car tour makes most sense - but the cost of taking a car to the island is high and you'll be paying the driver or driver/guide for two hours or more on the ferries. So pre-book a taxi operator based on the island and cross as foot-passengers (for a tour, the hi-speed Fast Cat to (West) Cowes is best - and at the end of the tour you can spend free time in Cowes before the Fast Cat back to Southampton)

https://www.redfunnel.co.uk/isle-of-wight-ferry/fleet/redjet

Sorry, can't help with recommendations - we DIY in Winchester and take our own car to the IofW

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Booking a taxi tour from your hotel / AirB&B for Winchester or the Isle of Wight isn't a good idea.

Winchester has a crowded little city centre & altho there's no restriction on driving into it cars aren't welcome & parking is difficult - there are large park-and-ride parking lots on the city boundary. The centre is compact and very walkable.

Better and a lot cheaper to travel to Winchester by train or bus, and if you want a guide (Paragon is a taxi service, not a tour organiser) book one based in Winchester for walking tour or join a group walking tour.

To get the best out of the Isle of Wight, yes a car tour makes most sense - but the cost of taking a car to the island is high and you'll be paying the driver or driver/guide for two hours or more on the ferries. So pre-book a taxi operator based on the island and cross as foot-passengers (for a tour, the hi-speed Fast Cat to (West) Cowes is best - and at the end of the tour you can spend free time in Cowes before the Fast Cat back to Southampton)

https://www.redfunnel.co.uk/isle-of-wight-ferry/fleet/redjet

Sorry, can't help with recommendations - we DIY in Winchester and take our own car to the IofW

JB 🙂

John, Thank you so much for your local knowledge & recommendations.  I always appreciate getting guidance from people who have "been there done that" so we don't make poor decisions when traveling abroad!  

• Like 1