Alaska May 14th

captbuzz

We booked this particular trip because it was the only one that fit our schedule. When I finally checked the excursions I found that the Tracy Arms option is not avialable until June. Does anyone know why?

Thanks,

JB

My guess would be too much ice.

It may also be that the catamaran - which is not dependent solely on the Mariner - may not be profitable enough to warrant being placed in service and staffed when the lesser number of people are expected during the earliest part of the season from sources other than the Mariner.

We're starting this cruise the day before in LA, and were also disappointed that the cat wouldn't be available to us. I'm trying to look into an independent excursion, but it would likely be from one of the ports rather than the day we cruise Tracy (since the Cat pulls up next to the boat).

-Ann

When we did our first Alaskan cruise on the Mariner in 2001 we did the inaugural the first week of June. It was a 9 night cruise then. Anyway, the season to cruise Alaska has gotten longer, but, the stores and shore excursions are open more limited times - somewhat dependent on weather and school calendars. A lot of the employees are students in school and teachers wanting summer jobs.

Captbuzz, I am going to Alaska for the 3rd time on a cruise this summer, and will be taking that excursion for Tracy Arm for the first time ever,since we will be there in August. I will tell you, you will not be disappointed from the ship! My son (then 23 or so at the time) called and woke me from his cabin and said "Mom, You've got to come up on deck, it is AWESOME!!" Don't fret, you are going to have a wonderful view if this is your first time to Alaska, and even if it is not~

Yes, Olivia, you said it correctly. We are going on the same end-of-season sailing on August 30th and while we will miss the live sledding because of snow melt and we can't MUSH, it will still be a very worthwhile experience and why we are going back again. The Mariner is a wonderful ship and Alaska an incredible destination with much to do and enjoy regardless.

Archived