Oily Skin & Jane Iredale Make Up??

kyriecat

I have incredibly oily skin and currently use the Bare Escentuals products. So far I have found the BE foundation/mineral veil combinations works best for hiding my oily skin. Every aethetician I've been to has said she has never seen anyone with as much oil in their skin as I have. Even with the BE products, I have to blot my face every hour or two. I've tried salacylic acid peels, glycolic peels, microabrasion, mineral masks, green tea masks, etc. to cut back on the oil production. I don't think anything works.

I've joined the BE club where they are supposed to send you products every 60 days, but I have had nothing but problems with the shipments. It seemed like a good idea since I wouldn't have to either go out of my way to a specialty store, remember to order online, or locate make up on ebay. I've reach my frustration point and am ready to cancel. I figured this would be a good time to try something new.

I've read postings from other people who really like the Jane Iredale line. I see they have "Absence" which is a base that is supposed to reduce the shiny appearance of oil, "Balance" that is supposed to reduce oil production, and mineral SPF base/powder and finishing powder.

Does anyone who regularly uses Jane Iredale products have extra-oily skin? If so, do the products really help control oil? I'm leery of investing that much money if the products don't really work well.

I too have extremely oily skin!

I have used Jane Iredale mineral foundation with the Absence and also tried it with my usual primer- Philosophy's The Present. I really did not see much of a difference between the two as far as oil control to be honest.

Both of them worked for about an hour & a half before I had shine. However, I do have a couple of things that work a bit longer for me-you might try them.

Philosophy also makes a Present clear powder (liquid) you can apply it under or over a regular primer & it keeps shine away a bit longer. It can also be applied over makeup (PATTED ON) that works pretty well for shine.

I just recently started using crushed apririn (dissolved in a tiny bit of warm water) as a scrub and mask a couple of times a week. On those days, my skin is less oily. Another wierd home remedy is Milk of Magnesia. It can be applied under makeup & really sucks the oil off the skin-no idea why!

My favorite new product for oil control is Philosophy's Hope in a Bottle(not jar) It is kind of a "dry" type moisturizer filled with salacylic & it helps too!(also helps prvent breakouts & congested skin)

Hope some of these ideas are helpful to you.

One more thing I just remembered- don't use hot water! It stimulates oil even more! Try slightly warm or cool-especially before applying makeup.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried the MoM and it helps (great price, too!), but the Mary Kay mattifier works better. I've never heard of using aspirin, but that is cheap so I can give it a try. How much aspirin do you use? How long do you leave it on as a mask?

My aesthetician has told me not to use hot water, but that is really difficult since I do my morning face wash in the shower and I like hot showers. I try to remember to put a cold wash cloth on my face when I get out.

I stay away from the Philosophy products. I had my face develop red splotches, like a rash, when I used a face wash (I don't remember which one since it was years ago). I've been a little afraid to try the products since then. I've never had a reaction like that before so I must be allergic to something that Philosophy uses. I've been using Image face wash and toner for problem skin so I've cut back on the blemishes (except the once a month PMS ones :rolleyes: ) but my skin is still oily. I wish they could develop a way to use face oils for a fuel. I could be rich!!!

I'll have to look up the MAC products. I hadn't heard of them. Is that just skin care or make-up also?

I've heard that menopause will change your skin condition, but I've got a ways until then (I'm 34). I'm hoping that I will get normal skin. Of course, I heard that I was supposed to quit having breakouts by the time I hit 30 and that didn't happen!:( I suppose living near Houston isn't helping me either since we have so much heat and humidity (but not today!).

I have really oily skin also and just started using the bare essentuals. Before I started using the BE, I used to mix my powder with baby powder.

What I have found is the less I wash my face, the less oily my skin is. My dermatologist told me the more I wash my face, the more oil I produce. He also said that a light moisturizer will cut down on oil production and he is right.

Personally, I don't have any problems re-ordering on line.

I have found that the Mary Kay mattifier is better than almost any others on the market.

I also use Chanel's base Lumiere make-up base. Although I bought it to go under their Double Perfection liquid (which is wonderful BTW), I also use it if I'm just wearing BE or another mineral base to the gym or some place where I don't want fully *done* face effects.

~e

I usually take about 5 or 6 & dissolve in my hand. The super cheapo non-coated works the best! I GENTLY massage it all over the face (not eye area)and then let it sit for 2 minutes or so.

As for the Philosophy product... I am guessing you used the On A Clear Day oily wash-it has camphor & sulfur. Sometimes those are irritating. I like the Purity cleanser. I have super sensitive skin as well, and I get blotchy from the oily skin cleanser, but not the Purity. It might be worth a try since the ingredients are very different, but I am always leery too once I have a reaction to a certain brand.

Archived