Actual length of time in Ports- NCL

TeeLee530

Hi all, 

I haven't been on many cruises, and none on NCL. I am sailing on NCL Bliss in Alaska 5/11/24-5/18/24. I know a number of people have suggested booking your own excursions independent of the cruise line. 

But I am unsure what times are reasonable to book. I know at least 30 minutes after arriving in port. And plan to be back on board an hour before departure. So, for the stop at Ketchikan the itinerary says 6:30AM to 1:15pm. And I know it is docked at Ward Cove, which is further out. 

So should I only plan an excursion between like 7:30 and noon? Or is the time listed the time you will actually be able to do things in port?

Thanks in advance!

The last shuttle from downtown Ketchikan back to Ward Cove will be scheduled for 11:45am, so unless your independent excursion will be returning you to Ward Cove, you should plan to be in line before that (and remember the shuttle pickup point is itself a bit of a walk from the more downtown piers).

Everyone's comfort level is different, but Ketchikan via NCL is one place I would personally think about doing a cruise line excursion, to be sure of being back on time. Especially with the 1:15 departure.

When I was there in October departing Ward Cove at 4 (last shuttle from downtown 2:30), I just had breakfast and walked around town for a while, and that worked out well. You can pick up a downtown walking tour map at the Ketchikan Visitors Bureau if you want a little more structure.

For start time, we docked at 7 and I think as one of the first people off the ship I was downtown about 8, so yes, I would do 7:30 at the earliest if you're booking an independent tour.

(Ward Cove schedule: https://wardcoveak.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/2023-Ward-Cove-Port-Schedule-7.17.2023.pdf)

Posted (edited)

Okay, I am not trying to be a jerk, but this was my first thought.  And there are several pier runners in Ketchikan on YouTube.

We nearly missed a ship in 2009 because we foolishly decided to fly the day we sailed.  We always stay overnight before the cruise now and have had several flight delays that meant we "used up" our safety net and our flight didn't land until the next morning - the day the ship left.  We lost the hotel but made the cruise.

Yes, excursions not with the cruise line are cheaper.  But in Alaska?  Too rich for my blood. After spending all that money, I am playing it safe. 

**Edited to add:  We love NCL.  We have Alaska booked on NCL in 2025.

Edited by Momto3girlsintheCarolinas

If I was you I would book through NCL or I would just go to town and do the walking tour and I would plan to catch one of the earlier shuttles back. I have heard where the shuttles fill up and you have to wait for a later one. I hope this helps!

• Like 1

There is much to see in Ketchikan by walking around, so if this is your first trip to Alaska, I recommend catching the NCL shuttle. We did the duck tour on our own when we visited Ketchikan, which provided a nice overview of the town. We are taking our second trip to Alaska this fall with NCL, and I am considering booking a trip to Saxman Native Village or Totem Bright State Historical Park through the ship for peace of mind.