Getaway ship May 13-21, Paris

Hey, I’m traveling on the getaway ship May 13-21 and have a port stop at Paris. I have never been and may not get the chance again so I want to take advantage of it. I know it s a long bus ride, and the drop off location changes, but has anyone gone to the Eiffel Tower in the 3 hour trip and how did you get there? Do I need Euros for this excursion?

Thanks!

I will be on that cruise too!  There is one excursion Paris on your own.  I was looking for something different but it looks like most of the excursions are not available or filled up.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You will find information on the Ports of Call forum on this site for most of the questions for your European cruise. Depending on where the On Your Own tour drops you off, you can take the Metro to the Eiffel Tower or possibly a cab (but the Metrol will probably be faster). And yes, Euros are the currency used in France (and GBP in the UK).

Posted (edited)

If you mean go to the top of the Eiffel Tower, I have read on these boards that people have done it, but it seems challenging to me.   You would have to buy a ticket in advance, guessing what would be an appropriate time.   Even with a timed ticket, there will still be crowds and lines for security, lines for the elevators.  I would be a nervous wreck worrying about being at the top, waiting for the elevator down, watching the time for when I needed to get back to the bus.

I agree the Metro is the fastest way to get around Paris.  I used it every day last year on a land vacation.  But if you have never been to Paris, you would want to know in advance where you will be dropped off for that excursion so that you could research what Metro line or lines to use.  

A friend and I are on the same cruise.  She hasn't been to Paris, but we passed on the long excursion into the city and chose activities closer to the port.   But if she had wanted to see Paris, I probably would have recommended one with a river boat cruise or a guided tour of the city or the on-your-own excursion, but we would have admired the Eiffel Tower from the ground, not tried to join the mobs wanting to go to the top.   I am sure the bus will drop you off in an area where you could take a pleasant walk, enjoying the parks, the architecture, a cafe, and a view of the Eiffel Tower.   I have read reports on these boards from people who were happy they took the long excursion into Paris for whatever they chose to do.   If you think this is the only time you'll get to see the city, then the long bus ride can be worth it.   

A tip - I found Paris easy to get lost in - winding streets going every which way and street names that were hard for me to remember.  I depended heavily on GPS my phone.   This would be especially critical on a tight time schedule.

Depending on how much time you would actually have in the city and where you are dropped off, consider the Batobus sightseeing boat on the river.  The full route is about 1 3/4 hours and gives you a good view of many of the main sights and several of the picturesque bridges.  

Yes, euros are the currency for France, as well as Belgium and the Netherlands. GBP for London and Southhampton.   However, on my recent trips to Europe, I have needed very little currency.   Maybe for tipping tour guides or buying a bottle of water from a street vendor.  But for all other purchases, large and small, a tap-and-go credit card was the preferred way to pay.  We will have a small amount of GBP and euros, as we expect to have other trips where we could use them.  But we are not planning on getting any local currency for Norway and Denmark, as we would have less use for any that we don't spend.

Looking forward to this cruise!  

Edited by Joanne G.

On 3/26/2024 at 6:11 PM, Bish87 said:

Hey, I’m traveling on the getaway ship May 13-21 and have a port stop at Paris. I have never been and may not get the chance again so I want to take advantage of it. I know it s a long bus ride, and the drop off location changes, but has anyone gone to the Eiffel Tower in the 3 hour trip and how did you get there? Do I need Euros for this excursion?

Thanks!

I won`t tell you that Paris from Le Havre is an insane and stupid idea, but instead answer your questions. 😉

First of all, Paris has by far the best public transport system in the world.

the subway, called "metro" is extremely reliable and fast.

You can find all info under the following link: https://www.ratp.fr/en/plan-metro

depending on the exact location of the drop off 3 hours are enough from visiting the tower...from the ground ! If you want to go up there can be a line of 1,5 to 3 hours. If you want to you can walk up (at least to the second platform but not to the top) and save some time if you are good at walking stairs. from the second platform you can take the elevator to the top.

DO you need Euros ? Credit card is widely accepted in france. If you need cash (e.g. for smaller souvenirs) then you need Euros. USD might be accepted in some locations but is rather an exception.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone, I’m really excited for this cruise! I’m still unsure what I’ll decide as I want the most out of my time and since I don’t have 5 days to just spend in Paris this is difficult. I will make sure to grab some euros to have as a just in case, but will probably use my credit card for most purchases. 

As for the filling up, Slinky25, I only saw the on your own was available. I was able to get 3 other excursions though and was told by others I could decide on the ship. Hopefully that’s true! I’m also looking forward to the meet and greet singles meet ups to meet new people. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We are a family of 8 -ages 6 to 76. ☺️ haven’t been able to make any dining reservations so guess we will just scurry to do that once onboard. Haven’t booked any shore tours thru ship. For Paris, we’ve made train reservations and will just see as much as we can see.  Has anyone sailed this ship before?  If so, what dining tips can you provide????

On 3/26/2024 at 5:24 PM, Slinky25 said:

I will be on that cruise too!  There is one excursion Paris on your own.  I was looking for something different but it looks like most of the excursions are not available or filled up.

We just went ahead and booked the train from LeHavre  plan to go to Eiffel Tower for photo op, then a boat on the Seine. Hopefully, time left over to to to Montmarte then catch train back. Fingers crossed that this all works out 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jude and John Cruise said:

We are a family of 8 -ages 6 to 76. ☺️ haven’t been able to make any dining reservations so guess we will just scurry to do that once onboard. Haven’t booked any shore tours thru ship. For Paris, we’ve made train reservations and will just see as much as we can see.  Has anyone sailed this ship before?  If so, what dining tips can you provide????

One dining for some in your party, or all if they like the food:

Shanghai Noodle Bar is excellent. At least the dim sum is. Portions are small. Two tiny spring rolls or potstickers, but oh so yummy! The fried rice and noodle dishes are ok. The soups are alright. I'd highly recommend checking it out for lunch or dinner, but the line may be extremely long. We have waited for 30 minutes prior to opening at lunch on a sea day. It's worth it to us. Y'all should try it out!!

Dim sum galore! Each of those steamer bowl thingies are filled with a whopping two pieces of dumpling or spring roll.

image.thumb.jpeg.a5c328da75502b6077457e98c3c97460.jpeg

Fried rice and one of the soup dishes. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3b8097a0775c788bd6b49de069ce81f9.jpeg

Enjoy!