Las Caletas in PV-Warning Email from Tour Operator

Gardyloo2

Hi, I’m looking for advice on Las Caletas in Puerto Vallarta.  The ship excursions are sold out and we booked through the tour’s own site.  My adult daughter called them and the tour operator said they take cruise ship pax independently all the time. 

But today we got an email “warning” us that we may not be able to get off the ship in time for the tour and their transport is away from the dock area.   And they recommend all ships pax take the ship’s tour.

Can anyone comment on this?  It’s been many years since I’ve been to Las Caletas, and we did an independent tour there easily.  Is this warning real or is it because the cruise ship wants to book the trip themselves (at a 25% mark up)

As far as I know you cannot book a tour with Vallarta Adventures when you are on a cruise ship. That is part of the agreement.  So if you book it, it is indeed your own risk that you may not return in time.  Also you probably need to get on and off board at the Marina or even at their office in Nuevo Nayarit, not at the cruise terminal. 

Pretty sure Vallarta Adventures bought (or at least leased) the Las Caletas site thus becoming the sole source provider of tours there. I agree with Ine that you probably cannot book independently if you are on a cruise ship. I'm betting most of the major cruise lines have exclusivity contracts with Vallarta Adventures. In the past - you could book independently, but I don't think that's the case anymore because Vallarta Adventures now controls the site.

But the nighttime show IS FANTASTIC, and I think that even if you are able to book it with your ship, you will find it to be worth the cost. A tip or two. #1 - Being out on the water at night can be cool so a light jacket or windbreaker can be handy. #2 - Sturdy shoes are also a good idea. Hiking sandals are ok, but I wouldn't really recommend flip flops. Oop's #3 - wouldn't really pay for any upgrades to the show. All the seats have a pretty good view.

Posted (edited)

Vallarta Adventures is the exclusive operator of the Las Caletas excursion site (and has been since my first visit in 2000).  Vallarta Adventures has an exclusive contract with the cruise industry where they tailor the tour "time" to match the ship's port schedule.  If you are a cruise passenger, you are not allowed to book the Las Caletas excursion (any VA excursion) if the ship offers the same excursion.  You can try to directly book direct with VA or through a third party tour broker but will ultimately be rejected/cancelled.

As a Vallarta resort guest, I have been bumped by cruise passengers as they have priority.

Enjoy . . .

Edited by MSN-Travelers