Caviar in Surf St. Maarten to Bridgetown

TV Dad

I know it is up to the captain's discretion but, we will be cruising in March, 2025.

Does anyone know where to expect Caviar in the Surf? We went in 2015 and it was in St. Kitts. So, I'm guessing Carambola Beach, St. Kitts again

Has anyone been on that route recently? Can you help?

Thanks,

Don

Just off Ovation on March 17. Caviar in the Surf is on Carambola Beach around Noon, just before the lunch buffet (char grilled lobster tails) and they do a great job. Also the Dolphin Swim in the morning was a great event. Have fun. 

On 3/27/2024 at 5:59 PM, Katsings01 said:

Just off Ovation on March 17. Caviar in the Surf is on Carambola Beach around Noon, just before the lunch buffet (char grilled lobster tails) and they do a great job. Also the Dolphin Swim in the morning was a great event. Have fun. 

Thanks Kstings1. Quick question:

Was there enough time to do the dolphin swim and make it back to the beach party for caviar in the surf? Did they drop you off at Carambola Beach? Or did you have to return to the ship first?

Thanks, in advance, for your guidance.

We did the Dolphin Swim at Carambola in 2022 -  Coach left from Carambola and we were returned to Carambola in time for Caviar and Lobster lunch.

Really enjoyed the Dolphin Swim BUT they make you leave at cameras and phones in the changing lockers and then sell you their photographs via download at an extremely high price. Seem to recall a full set was over US$120.

We were on the 9 am Dolphin Swim and we were back at Carambola by 11:30 am, with plenty of time to still get very well located beach loungers and enjoy caviar in the surf. caviarforme is correct that the Dolphin Swim does not allow cameras or phones and their full package is now $150 or $170 with a few extra poses and 2 printed photos. But to be realistic, we were both down on the ledge of a lagoon in swim wear and life jackets interacting with the Dolphins ... there really is not a good opportunity to take pictures without disrupting the experience and having their photographer was, we felt, ok in light of the overall experience. There is no hard sell on the photos. I think we received 86 digital pictures between the 2 of us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katsings01 said:

We were on the 9 am Dolphin Swim and we were back at Carambola by 11:30 am, with plenty of time to still get very well located beach loungers and enjoy caviar in the surf. caviarforme is correct that the Dolphin Swim does not allow cameras or phones and their full package is now $150 or $170 with a few extra poses and 2 printed photos. But to be realistic, we were both down on the ledge of a lagoon in swim wear and life jackets interacting with the Dolphins ... there really is not a good opportunity to take pictures without disrupting the experience and having their photographer was, we felt, ok in light of the overall experience. There is no hard sell on the photos. I think we received 86 digital pictures between the 2 of us. 

Not a Seabourn cruise, but we did a Dolphin Swim in either Costa Maya or Cozumel (can't remember) on a Royal Caribbean cruise last year.  They also required you to leave phones and cameras behind and offered only to purchase the pics taken by the photographers.  I thought it was money well spent because the quality of the pics was far better than what I could have taken down there in the water.  Here are my favorites: 

LAU_0931.JPG.jpg

LAU_1015.JPG.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Katsings01 said:

All good fun.

Hate to be that guy, but it certainly isn't good fun for the dolphins.

Have had the opportunity to do this in many locations but can't in good conscience support businesses that keep such animals in captivity.

• Like 3

I understand that all of these Dolphins (in all of these locations) were bred in captivity (capturing wild Dolphins has been illegal for many many years). They have never been, and are not, able to survive in the wild. They appear to be very well treated and loved. One Dolphin is 44 years old (almost twice the average age of Dolphins in the wild) and still going strong. In fact, during the pandemic when there were no visitors, the Dolphins were stressed because they missed their routine and the trainers had to don life vest and dress as tourists to keep the Dolphins happy. They provide interaction and better understanding (I learned quite a bit) so they are good ambassadors for their wild counterparts. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 11:37 AM, Katsings01 said:

I understand that all of these Dolphins (in all of these locations) were bred in captivity (capturing wild Dolphins has been illegal for many many years). They have never been, and are not, able to survive in the wild. They appear to be very well treated and loved. One Dolphin is 44 years old (almost twice the average age of Dolphins in the wild) and still going strong. In fact, during the pandemic when there were no visitors, the Dolphins were stressed because they missed their routine and the trainers had to don life vest and dress as tourists to keep the Dolphins happy. They provide interaction and better understanding (I learned quite a bit) so they are good ambassadors for their wild counterparts. 

Good info- thanks!!