Things to do in Cagliari

We will be there on 1 June (Saturday), and none of the NCL shore ex offered appeal to us.  In port 9 - 4.

Looking at Viator, there are several options.

Any thoughts on a city based tour vs a coastal - swimming- snorkeling-beach tour?  

We might be "Roman ruins and cathedral" tired by then.

Is a rental car a good option?

Posted (edited)

That's a relatively short port day, a rental car would be very expensive and parking will be difficult to find in many places on the island (near beaches, for example).

If you're interested in a beach day I would consider simply getting a cab at the port and arranging with the driver to come back and get you for the ride back to the ship.

I would also consider making a reservation at a beach club so you don't get shut out.

If you find you can stand just a little more history I would strongly consider a tour to see the nuraghi, something you can't see anywhere else in the world:  Su Nuraxi di Barumini - UNESCO World Heritage Centre

Edited by euro cruiser

Thanks.

I was looking at the cruise port map, and it looks like a container port on most days?

Am I looking at the right one?

If there a shuttle, where does it end up?

I have found a morning boating tour with 4 beaches, only 4 hours, and they have an afternoon sailing, so I'm sure I'll be back before 4.   It is in the the harbor area, maybe a long walk or short taxi, depending on where you get shuttled to.  

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

thoughts on a city based tour

Cagliari itself is an attractive town to explore and the very attractive beach area is easily accessed from the port.  The emblem of the town is the flamingo and they are found in large numbers opposite the beach area.  You will see many many flamingo themed souvenirs for sale.

There have been a few past threads about Cagliari and this one would be worth reading

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2956782-enough-time-for-an-excursion-from-cagliari/#comment-65898779

and this one

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2854829-cagliari-sardinia/#comment-63271686

Edited by edinburgher

10 hours ago, edinburgher said:

And I should have also listed this one for post #2.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2831952-cagliari-sardinia/#comment-62669621

Thanks!

Still searching.  We found a beach cruise option that leaves from thr harbor area, but boat might be smaller than my wife prefers.   Still searching. 

I did see where the shuttle bus drop off is, so that helps.  The pictures you linked helped in that. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Maybe just a walk around town or the HOHO bus.

The links given in my posts #4 and #5 explain how to get the best out of this really quite attractive (and VERY steep) town, its beaches and flamingo viewing.

We did catch a glimpse of a green coloured mini bus type single deckerl  HOHO, but not in the historic centre and especially not in the Castello district at the top. We think we remember seeing it on the road alongside the beach.