Car Rental in MIA - Thrifty or anyone else...

vesw01

I have a room booked at Radisson Miami Biscayne Bay. I read about people renting cars and then returning them to the airport and taking the shuttle to the port....anyone done this, any thoughts?

I am just wondering if that would be "cheaper and more more convienent" than taking taxi's and such.

Thank you in advance for your help.........

I am at work...so I dont have my links here.... but.. I have been doing searching.... and can get midsize car for $25.00 per day.

We will be renting from May 20th ( return from cruise) til may 23rd.. picking up at Prt of Miami and dropping off FT Lauderdale Airport ,unlimited mileage. I think the total after taxes and fees ( lots of them!) is about $90.00 ..

better then cabbing it.

Just do a google search " miami car rentals" you should get lots of sites!

I was in MIA about two weeks ago. I ended up with Enterprise. I did this in reverse, but you can pick up at the airport and drop at the Hyatt downtown (right near Bayside). THey have a free shuttle to the port from there. A whole lot easier than going all the way back to the airport.

I had a one way rental from West Palm to Miami. We brought the rental car to the Dollar office near the Miami airport and used a free shuttle to the pier.

BTW - we stayed at the Radisson Biscayne Blvd in December and they had an inexpensive shuttle to Bayside Marketplace from the lobby of the hotel. It was $2-3 and worth it. Also, if you keep the car overnight at the Radisson there is a overnight parking charge. While I don't object to is the charge but the fact that they don't have you sign for anything when checking out and just have the charge "appear" on your credit card statement. Grrrr :mad:

we will be visiting from Australia and will have been travelling around Florida prior to the cruise so we will already have a rental car and were wondering which drop off location was going to best for getting to the port. It appears from posts on this board that MIA has a free shuttle to the port ? Is this correct? If so , fantastic!

we are also trying to find out what car rental agency has pick up from the port after the cruise..if any ? Most of the ones we have seen online say port drop off only ..so will we need to take a shuttle back to the airport ? is there a charge for that?

Thanks for any info!!

:)

If you don't mind me asking, how did you like the Radisson?

I was only there for one night but it was nice. Our room didn't have the sleep number beds which I was looking forward too but functional. It was great for a one night stay and close to the pier and Bayside so I would stay there again. I got it on Priceline but don't remember how much I paid.

I have a reservation with Thirfty and Dollar. Thrifty for $55 W/ALL TAXES AND FEE and Dollar is $45 w/all taxes and fees. I didn't know Dollar had a drop off near the port. I'ts hard to get in touch with them directly. We are also going into Fll and staying at the B.W thunderbird on Sunny Isles Beach. 2nights. Have never stayed there AAA has it as a 3 star, I think more of a 2.5 star, but on the water kids will like it. for $119 during Feb vacation and Boat show in Fll pickings are slim, even this far out. Please post your return and let us know how things worked out. How long you wait for the shuttle ect... first time doing this. Thanks

We are arriving at FLL two days prior and renting with Alamo. We will then return the car to MIA and they have a free shuttle from the airport to the dock.

Total with tax for the entire rental is $55. I am a member of Costco and used a group ID they provide for members for a discount.

We are arriving at FLL two days prior and renting with Alamo. We will then return the car to MIA and they have a free shuttle from the airport to the dock.

Total with tax for the entire rental is $55. I am a member of Costco and used a group ID they provide for members for a discount.

I am a member at Costco as well. Do you just give Alamo your card number, or do you have to get an actual group ID from a magazine?

I'm currently booked with them using my entertainment card. I got a convertable for Saturday 10 am thru Sunday 10 am for $37.00 with all taxes. Is that a fair deal, or should I see if my discount would be more with my Costco card?

Well,

I just called Alamo and asked about the transportation from the pier back to the airport. They said it is available. I suppose that is what I will plan to do. If anyone has experienced anything different, please let me know. The only thing that worries me is that we do not plan to rent another car.

Also, Is the alamo rental place in the airport or do you catch an Alamo shuttle to/from the rental location to the airport?

Well,

I just called Alamo and asked about the transportation from the pier back to the airport. They said it is available. I suppose that is what I will plan to do. If anyone has experienced anything different, please let me know. The only thing that worries me is that we do not plan to rent another car.

Also, Is the alamo rental place in the airport or do you catch an Alamo shuttle to/from the rental location to the airport?

I'm confused. Are you saying you are not renting a car after the cruise but going to use the shuttle from the pier to the rental agency and then to the airport? Seems a little roundabout way to get to the airport if that's your plan. There is a flat rate for cabs from the pier to the airport that is around $20-25 (if I remember correctly) and the taxis were easy to catch at the pier last December.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a room booked at Radisson Miami Biscayne Bay. I read about people renting cars and then returning them to the airport and taking the shuttle to the port....anyone done this, any thoughts?

I am just wondering if that would be "cheaper and more more convienent" than taking taxi's and such.

Thank you in advance for your help.........

We rented a mini van from Thrifty for a couple of days prior to our cruise. We picked up the car at the Miami airport and returned it back to the airport. A tip, sign up with their free program 'Blue Chip Express' and you will be on your way faster. When we returned the Van, we had to wait for about 10 minutes for the Thrifty shuttle and they shuttled us directly to the Miami port and right in front of our pier. It was very convenient. Thrifty had great service as well as great prices. I would use them again.

Archived