Star Princess going or not?

flyguy404

There is no way they would not give us a full refund. They have a reputation to uphold. Now you are grasping at straws if you are worried that you won't get a full refund. Do you know how much respect they would loose and how much they would hear about it?

Listen you people. Princess has a small staff and there is no way they can deal with tens of thousands of customers all at the same time. I'm sure Princess is talking to lawyers, shipyards and insurance companies at this very moment, trying to figure out what to do next.

If Princess doesn't have enough staff to properly handle a situation such as this, then maybe Princess shouldn't be in this type of business.

I apologize if this has already been asked an answered. What about airfare? If Princess cancels a cruise(s), will people who booked airfare independently of their cruise somehow get reimbursed for the unused/changed air ticket? I have no idea how that works. Thanks.

The closest thing to do was when NCL's Pride of America sank at the pier when it was being constructed. NCL reflagged a ship from its sister cruise line(the NCL Sky became the Pride Of Aloha). They then had to change people from the configuartion of the Pride Of America to a somewhat smaller ship with different rooms etc. This took weeks to complete. Star lines was able to do this itself because it owned all the ships and could make the change. Lets say(I don't know this) that Princess has identified another ship that it could use. They need to complete the Charter figuire out how to change the rooms and etc. If they are doing this(and I don't know that they are), wouldn't make sense to take a few days to figuire it out before you notify everyone that their cruises are cancelled. I know I may get flamed for this but its only two days after the fire and a weekend day at that. Calling the people at the call center and demanding anything is just plain stupid. If I had a TA I would ask the TA to see if they can make arrangements on another ship leaving from Florida the same day and getting a courtesy hold without paying anything for a couple of days. When Princess cancels next week(which is likely from what I hear), you can then pay. If Princess works something else out you still have a back up. But whining that Princess is treating you badly because they instantly didn't do what you want is wrong. Maybe they have a ship that is scheduled for Dry Dock that they can postpone while the Star is repaired(my personal estimate a WAG-wild ass guess is that it will be 90 days before it returns to normal and maybe more). That's my opinion flame away, I am going back to other threads were people are more understanding of an unexpected event.

Cruisingmen have you explored any other cruise options for the first week in April? I see that the Grand leaves Galveston on the first. In an effort to avoid a complete disaster perhaps you could explore this contingency? Just trying to help out here...we are all SO TIRED of the Princess song and dance routine about the ship still sailing on the 2nd. My situation is very fortunate in that I am extremely flexible with my travel dates. That being said..there is no excuse for the unfortunate way Princess is handling this situation. It is however refreshing to read all of the first hand accounts of those onboard who praise the captain and crew for their efforts during the tragedy..cuddos to those folks!

Flyguy404 thanks for checking out alternatives and passing them on to us. We also saw the Grand was sailing and had availability. There's also the Costa Magica leaving Ft. Laud on 4/2. We had asked Princess this morning to move us to either of those ships but were told we would have to contact the respective reservation lines ourselves. And then they reminded us if we did that and cancelled our Star reservation we would be charged the full amount paid as default.

So... as of now we have any interest doing any business with any Carnival Corp. entity. We just want to get our money back and move on.

The Princess is dead...Long Live Royal Caribbean!

Your out-of-pocket NET expenses. Princess came through with this when the Star (yes Star) got delayed 6 hours in Sep 2005 from its Transatlantic Trip because of rough seas. Those who booked independent air also got refund. /Sultan

I apologize if this has already been asked an answered. What about airfare? If Princess cancels a cruise(s), will people who booked airfare independently of their cruise somehow get reimbursed for the unused/changed air ticket? I have no idea how that works. Thanks.

Flyguy404 thanks for checking out alternatives and passing them on to us. We also saw the Grand was sailing and had availability. There's also the Costa Magica leaving Ft. Laud on 4/2. We had asked Princess this morning to move us to either of those ships but were told we would have to contact the respective reservation lines ourselves. And then they reminded us if we did that and cancelled our Star reservation we would be charged the full amount paid as default.

So... as of now we have any interest doing any business with any Carnival Corp. entity. We just want to get our money back and move on.

The Princess is dead...Long Live Royal Caribbean!

I'm not sure RCCL would handle it much differently, I've read passenger horror stories on that line also. It's unfortunate as most cruise lines are owned by either Carnival or RCCL, not too many options. Most cruises go off without a hitch but when the snafus happen the cruise lines are put to the test. Obviously this is more than a snafu and probably the most serious problem Princess cruises ever had to worry about, and of course I pray nothing like this ever happens again to anyone.

Sorry for all the troubles all upcoming passengers may have to go through. Wish you all can receive definite answers soon.

Best of luck.

I agree that Princess will probably come through for all of you, hopefully asap.

I asked that today and the answer I got was basically if I didn't buy through them I should not expect this to be covered. For us, its $3,500 for 5 people PLUS my parents come for the cruise from Germany ($2,400).

But then, I talked to some guy at their 1-800 number and as some of us have experienced firsthand, they also can only speculate and have no real information (btw., the last one I spoke to was very nice and VERY frustrated that he was not allowed to help anyone and that he was not better informed by his superiors)...

Btw., the bridge cam now says: bound to Freeport, Bahamas. But she still sits in the same spot.

I asked that today and the answer I got was basically if I didn't buy through them I should not expect this to be covered. For us, its $3,500 for 5 people PLUS my parents come for the cruise from Germany ($2,400).

But then, I talked to some guy at their 1-800 number and as some of us have experienced firsthand, they also can only speculate and have no real information (btw., the last one I spoke to was very nice and VERY frustrated that he was not allowed to help anyone and that he was not better informed by his superiors)...

Btw., the bridge cam now says: bound to Freeport, Bahamas. But she still sits in the same spot.

We were on the "Nash" cruise mentioned earlier, Princess covered missed flights for everyone on the ship, including those that did not book with Princess. It is written in the cruise contract I believe that Princess does not have to pay for missed flights but in my experience missed flights when it has been Princess's fault have been covered. Again, I think passengers on upcoming cruises will be okay. Don't put much faith in what phone reps say, you can call 5 different people and get 5 different answers. When all else fails send a letter to customer service with out of pocket expenses, I believe you will definitely reimbursed after that. Just save your receipts and credit card statements showing your airfare has been paid in full.

If you read this article I think you will all see what is actually involved with carrying out this investigation on the ship and how many people are involved.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/miamiherald/news/local/14182486.htm?source=rss&channel=miamiherald_local

While Princess may be expected to announce information about the 4/2 cruise, again, keep in mind that along with this investigation come the financial and logistics aspect of this, along with the PR. Princess is well aware, based on all our calls to the 1-800 number, that people are frustrated. The last thing they are going to do is keep your money and screw you all over. It would benefit you all to explore other options as some of you are doing. There are rooms available so good luck to all.

Let's face it folks. You will not get your money back in time to book another cruise for 4/2/06. Princess's insurance company will be refunding your money and that won't happen over night.

If you can't afford another vacation for that week, and I know I couldn't with money still being held, you will just have to change your vacation week.

It is a major inconvenience, but it cannot be helped.

What I find interesting is the P&O Australia website, it says the next cruise for the Star Princess is on April 30 and I noticed that the ship cam says they are currently heading to Freeport...maybe that is where they are doing the repairs?

Have they decided to cancel until then or is there another reason that is says this??

Check out the link below...

http://pocruises.com.au/html/cruise_cams.cfm?shipName=Star+Princess

Captain,

I see that the web cam shows it on the move and the 4-30 Transatlantic is our cruise, I find that interesting. If you put in another Princesss cruises does it give the correct schedule? Seems feasible. I was even thinking they might let if leave for Europe even sooner then the 30th. Just a thought.

Marlene

I feel bad for everyone who is booked on the Star in the next several weeks. It is really a hugh inconvenience to have your vacation plans disrupted. Hopefully Princess will have some answers for you this week. I think that Princess will do the right thing for those who have their cruises canceled. If the don't they know that thousands of future cruises will hear about it here and it would be a public relations nightmare.

Good luck

News

3/25/2006

Star Princess Update -- 6:30 pm PST

Star Princess sailed from Montego Bay, Jamaica this evening at 9:00 pm local time and is currently en route to the Grand Bahama Shipyard in Freeport, where we will commence the repair process. The ship is expected to arrive at the shipyard on Monday morning.

We continue to assess the damage as well as the cause of the fire.

We anticipate that on Monday we should be able to provide a further update on the situation to passengers booked on upcoming cruises.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I guess the webcam is correct - we have 3 cabins booked on the Star for 4-2. I really doubt we'll be going - so difficult not knowing how to plan though. We have 4 people traveling from MI to FLL who booked their air on their own. And, with it being spring break they paid prime time rates. I sure hope that they don't loose out of pocket expenses. From what I'm seeing regarding travel insurance - they may very well not cover this incident as it's not due to mechcanical failure. My DH and I live in FL so while it's disappointing it is much easier for us to change our plans. We're all thankful that we weren't on the cruise this week. Feel so badly for the passenger's who were involved.

I hope that we get some official word on Monday.

I have sailed on the Star when she was on the West Coast doing the Mexico cruises. I was at work to day and work for a major air cargo company and got a call looking for aircrafts to move cargo to Freeport from both PHL and MSY. The cargo was for the Star Princess with the cargo to be in Freeport no later then Tuesday AM. Well since it was late Saturday we can not get government approval/landing rights in Freeport till Monday morning at 0900 LCL when there offices open. Will update if i get more info.

Thank you for your kind words but I am not worried about me at all. I will have a nice cruise at some point in the near future regardless of whether or not the Star sails on 04/02. I am however concerned for those that have less flexable travel plans than do I. I am aware that cruise lines do not have spare ships just sitting around awaiting a situation like this. The best analogy I can give you is a HUGE snowstorm hitting the northeast affecting tens of thousands of air travelers. Everyone can see what is occuring by simply watching the Weather Channel. The real challenge for the airlines is to be realistic and honest with those affected and deal with the situation as quickly as possible. Basiclly I think I just want Princess to state the obvious...the Star isnt going anywhere for a while. This will allow folks some time to make whatever arrangements they can in the next 10 days. Do we all not dislike being lied to..or at the very least being treated with less than complete honesty? That is my point.

I agree. We are booked for the April 2nd sailing. With my wife's job, the time off from work is worth as much as the trip itself. She is going to be off that week now regardless of whether Princess reschedules our cruise or not - at this point she can not cancel the days she requested for her vacation. If this cruise does not happen, we need to schedule something else.

I agree. We are booked for the April 2nd sailing. With my wife's job, the time off from work is worth as much as the trip itself. She is going to be off that week now regardless of whether Princess reschedules our cruise or not - at this point she can not cancel the days she requested for her vacation. If this cruise does not happen, we need to schedule something else.

Gosh, I can't imagine what it must be like to work for a company that would hold an employee to originally requested vacation time Especially, under these circumstances. That is your time - not theirs :(

I sure hope things work out for you!

Gosh, I can't imagine what it must be like to work for a company that would hold an employee to originally requested vacation time Especially, under these circumstances. That is your time - not theirs :(

I sure hope things work out for you!

Keep in mind that many people who work in education are tied to a school schedule for their vacations. Passengers with school-aged children need to travel when schools are closed.

Outside of education, essential services and some small companies need to carefully schedule employees' vacation time so there are still enough people to keep things running during vacations.

Archived