Star Princess going or not?

flyguy404

Gosh, I can't imagine what it must be like to work for a company that would hold an employee to originally requested vacation time Especially, under these circumstances. That is your time - not theirs :(

I sure hope things work out for you!

My wife is a physician. Her patients & staff book her schedule months in advance. Only a certain number of docs can be off at the same time. Just like I think Princess should keep the inflexibility of our schedule in mind once the die is cast, her patients have similiar lives and plans.

What bugs me about Princess is they are familiar with how the travel industry works blocks of time like 3 days, 1 week, 2 week, 30 days, 1 year have drastic impacts on the kind of arrangements you can get and how much you will pay for them. So if Princess knows that next Sundays cruise will not happen and choses not to tell us, deals that requires booking 7 days in advance will not be available to us. They would not accept me asking for a full refund at the last minute because something in my life has changed and they should pays us the same courtesy.

Gosh, I can't imagine what it must be like to work for a company that would hold an employee to originally requested vacation time Especially, under these circumstances. That is your time - not theirs :(

I sure hope things work out for you!

My wife works for the city (Suburb near Montreal) and they make her choose her vacation a year in advance and there is no way on Gods green earth she can modify it once written down on their calendar.

They, like many organizations, are run by horrible little people.:mad:

I work at a school, I get lots of time off but they expect me to actually show up for classes.

What can I say, I wish it was possible for everyone to bend, but its not going to ever happen.:(

To those who say they can't afford to book alternative plans until they receive their refund from Princess, don't you have a credit card? Why can't you book something else for the same week (to those of you who can't switch weeks due to work, airline tickets, etc.). You can put it on your credit card, and I'll bet by the time your payment is due on the credit card, you'll have your refund from Princess. That's what I'd do (and have done when a cruise was cancelled).

John,

Since all the cruises up to the 4/30 transatlantic have been pulled from the booking engine, I would have to assume (if I were you) that your trip is cancelled. I'm sure that when TPTB arrive into work on Monday, the cancellation/notification process will begin. I'm sure Princess will do right by you, and you won't have to worry about money lost. Also, if you can manage to rebook on a Princess ship, that whole 7-day advance purchase rule should be overruled. I would begin looking now online for alternatives. If you find one you like on another line, consider booking it. Depending on your billing cycles, your new payment and Princess refund may well turn out to be a wash.

This is, of course, my opinion only. We're booked on the 4/30, and I've planned two different alternatives. Since they're still selling our cruise, we're going to hold tight and not pull the trigger on Plans B or C. I understand your position, as I bid for vacation 18 months in advance at my job.

Good luck:)

Its not just the sailings through 4/30, ALL of the Star sailings have been pulled from the Princess booking engine. Most likely they are re-loading based on whatever plan they have, but who knows....

FYI, the Cruise Personalizer is not available either, so odds are they are messing with their database.

Logically speaking, I wouldn't assume that just because the bookings were pulled from the site,doesn't mean that your trip is cancelled,it probably means that they obviously aren't going to have anybody even try to book any of those because of what has happened.I am booked on the 4/23 sailing, and I truly believe we will be sailing on her by then.The 4/2 sailing would be the one questionable right now, you can call a TA and have them put a courtesy hold on a cabin on another cruiseline for 24hrs.This would give it until Tues,by then Princess should have an idea of what will happen on the next couple of sailings.I think all this speculation by everyone is fueling the fire and we all have to wait until a release is made tomorrow by Princess. Go find something to do to keep busy until tomorrow, like looking at other cruiselines & making alternative plans.:rolleyes:

Its not just the sailings through 4/30, ALL of the Star sailings have been pulled from the Princess booking engine. Most likely they are re-loading based on whatever plan they have, but who knows....

Really? Yikes! I had better go back in and look. Last time I checked, they were still happily selling Penthouse Suites on Caribe Deck:eek:

Edited to add: I realize that the cruises could be pulled for no other reason than to simply begin the rearranging process for people booked in affected cabins, but I really believe that John's 4/2 cruise is toast. It's a really good suggestion to have him put a 24 hour hold on something else.

Just looked again, and its not just the Star, its all the cruises, plus the personalizer. I would say they have pulled their database offline, either voluntarily to do database maintenance or by one of those wonderful IT happenings that happens when you least want it to :D

Truth be told, I'll bet that Princess has had to disable the personalizer temporarily due to the large number of people that are trying to get information from it. I would imagine that if you just take the 2600 pax due to sail on her in the next five weeks and half of them are checking it every day, then you have (over and above normal use) somehwere around 6500 attempts to log into it daily to check and see what their status is. They are probably updating the system to reflect the information that they are going to give out probably on Monday.

Just a thought.

Donnie

Seems to be back up now, and even the star sailing for 4/2 is back with pricing....although everything is waitlist only when you actually try to book a cabin.

My personalizer still says no emergency notifications for my 6/14 sailing. I have a Caribe balcony, but on the starboard side away from the fire location.

Looks like it was just one of those IT things :)

I do feel bad for you future Star cruisers, I know there has been much talk about how long the repairs will take, being a firefighter, most times its the smoke and water damage that is most damaging. After looking at the clip below, I find it hard to believe the Star will be ready in a few weeks, let alone months. This video show floors buckled, charred hallways etc. A good portion of this ship will have to be completely refurbished, Princess would no way let a ship sail that would still show any remnants of this tragedy. Not to mention all the people who would be demanding compensation cause they could still smell the smoke.

http://www.ksdk.com/video/player.aspx?aid=31957&bw=

I am booked on the April 9th Star, so I have been browsing other options for the last few days. Looking for cruises from April 8/9 to early May. I regularly use a major online travel site for a baseline price (I have never actually booked with them) and that site gets some pretty bad press on these boards. I don't think I am supposed to mention it by name but it starts with a T:) Anyway, their prices on cruises during the month of April have gone up significantly. Perhaps they know some of us are desperate?? The agency I normally book with will open again tomorrow morning, I am anxious to call them and get some comparison pricing.

Keep in mind that many people who work in education are tied to a school schedule for their vacations. Passengers with school-aged children need to travel when schools are closed.

Outside of education, essential services and some small companies need to carefully schedule employees' vacation time so there are still enough people to keep things running during vacations.

I work in neither of these segments of the ecconomy...I have to choose my vacation/time off up to a year ahead of time. Try that sometime. It is very probable that the Star will not sail for at least two months.. Start making other plans!

If you go to the bridge cams, looks like the boat is on its way to Bahamas. I know that is were they do alot of ship repairing. When on the island before, I have met many that do the repairs.

I was on another site and they have said that princess is moving people onto different ships. You know they don't ever guarantee their itinerary so it looks like they could do that.

Question is do you want to cruise and not really care which places you go to? I have cruised and had ports cancelled and changed. It was a huge disappointment but I had no choice. It does not matter which company it is, they all do what they have to so they continue to be able to cruise.

Why not try and call them and ask to be put on a different ship and ask for the huge upgrade for the inconvenience. If you call and are angry they are just the middleman, shooting the messenger will not get very far. See if they are willing to help out and change your ship? Just a suggestion. I would be just as upset as you are now but try and see what happens. Post your answer and that will help others.

I would be surprised if they were moving people to other cruises since I do not see any other Princess 7 days cruises departing on Sunday. I would be even more surprised if they would book onto other cruise lines (even Carnival). I guess we will just have to wait and see.

We tried switching to another ship yesterday - without any offers for any compensation. We were flatly told no. We asked to be considered with a notation if it becomes possible - no. We even offered to go on the Sapphire and take the airfare hits ourselves.

Guys, I am afraid that what we are going to get is a Carnival ship like the Ecstacy - just out of dry dock.

I will invoke my travel insurance and lose $750. I am dissapointed because what I am told is that I will not be able to book a new cruise tomorrow with someone else due to the security issues < 7 days.

Can anyone verify the 7 day window.

Let's see what happens. And no, I cannot change my travel dates like some of you. Some of us have jobs where vacation must be scheduled due to project schedules. And no, I don't want to go to Florida or the Smoky Mtns. Been there done that.

I would like to thank those who have contributed positively to this thread. It has been helpful just to hear there are others in my situation.

News

3/25/2006

Star Princess Update -- 6:30 pm PST

Star Princess sailed from Montego Bay, Jamaica this evening at 9:00 pm local time and is currently en route to the Grand Bahama Shipyard in Freeport, where we will commence the repair process. The ship is expected to arrive at the shipyard on Monday morning.

We continue to assess the damage as well as the cause of the fire.

We anticipate that on Monday we should be able to provide a further update on the situation to passengers booked on upcoming cruises.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I guess the webcam is correct - we have 3 cabins booked on the Star for 4-2. I really doubt we'll be going - so difficult not knowing how to plan though. We have 4 people traveling from MI to FLL who booked their air on their own. And, with it being spring break they paid prime time rates. I sure hope that they don't loose out of pocket expenses. From what I'm seeing regarding travel insurance - they may very well not cover this incident as it's not due to mechcanical failure. My DH and I live in FL so while it's disappointing it is much easier for us to change our plans. We're all thankful that we weren't on the cruise this week. Feel so badly for the passenger's who were involved.

I hope that we get some official word on Monday.

Just a thought and I haven't seen your insurance policy, but I do not think that the fire qualifies as mechanical failure. I think that more refers to things breaking through normal wear and tear.

I alos would be surprised if Princess knows anything before the middle of the week at least as far as when they can get refunds back. I have no doubt that some cruises will be canceled and that Princess will make things right, I just think that it is going to take longer than you would like.

It is a tough situation for those of you booked on Star the next few weeks. Good luck with finding an alternative vacation.

I have had the same bad experience with Princess on a 10/25/05 booking on the Coral. We just sailed on the Coral 3/14-3/24/06 to replace the missed 10/25 cruise due to hurricane Wilma. Be sure they are positive the Star will sail before you travel. We thought Princess was sure and we drove 12 hours for nothing cause the ship wasn't in port as they told us is would be

Plain common sense and your eyes looking at the extensive damage should tell you that the Star Princess isn't going to sail anytime soon. I expect you will get all of your money back. When is the question. However if Princess continues to play hardball with you then you better find a good Bermuda admiralty lawyer.

Guess that may be an option for us too as we had a terrible experience with Princess in October due to hurricane Wilma and Princess has done nothing but play hardball with us.

We tried switching to another ship yesterday - without any offers for any compensation. We were flatly told no. We asked to be considered with a notation if it becomes possible - no. We even offered to go on the Sapphire and take the airfare hits ourselves.

Guys, I am afraid that what we are going to get is a Carnival ship like the Ecstacy - just out of dry dock.

I will invoke my travel insurance and lose $750. I am dissapointed because what I am told is that I will not be able to book a new cruise tomorrow with someone else due to the security issues < 7 days.

Can anyone verify the 7 day window.

Let's see what happens. And no, I cannot change my travel dates like some of you. Some of us have jobs where vacation must be scheduled due to project schedules. And no, I don't want to go to Florida or the Smoky Mtns. Been there done that.

I would like to thank those who have contributed positively to this thread. It has been helpful just to hear there are others in my situation.

I can tell you that the 7 day window is a myth. You may book a cruise up until 15 minutes before departure. The only window is that ships arriving in the US must provide the manifest to Homeland Security 72 hours prior to arrival.

Do not travel until Princess assures you that the ship is going. We spent 12 hours in our car, sent to a disaster area after a hurricane hit Ft. Lauderdale the day before, and the ship was not there as Princess had told us it would be. JUst be careful.

I hope everyone will try to keep us posted tomorrow if and when you here something from Princess. Assuming they begin to make calls to individual passengers before posting something on their web site. The way this thing has been going I think anything is likely.:mad:

Archived