Pre cruise excursion ideas in Oahu

WakeView4Us

We fly in the day before boarding the Sprit and are staying in Waikiki. Looking for excursion ideas for a tour with the lighthouse, points of interest and maybe a round-trip of the island. 

We won't have a car. 

Most things I have seen get us back at 6pm when our boarding is 430. 

Any help appreciated.  

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, WakeView4Us said:

We fly in the day before boarding the Sprit and are staying in Waikiki. Looking for excursion ideas for a tour with the lighthouse, points of interest and maybe a round-trip of the island. 

We won't have a car. 

Most things I have seen get us back at 6pm when our boarding is 430. 

Any help appreciated.  

We're also flying in to HNL from the east coast, before our May cruise, have you considered that you will be jet lagged and might be up at 2AM? We're thinking since we'll be awake maybe we'll climb Diamond head 1st thing. There are a lot of things we might do which are reachable by Uber from Waikiki, I'm not sure just yet. There is also the Trolley, which gets you around and might be enough for your limited time. Also remember that you'll have luggage to deal with after check out of your hotel, so you'll need to stow it and retrieve it before you head to the pier.

Edited by DCwom
spelling
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

You mentioned some specific things you want to do but if you are open to another suggestion and haven’t done it before, try Diamond Head. We took a public bus from our Waikiki hotel to entrance, hiked up and were really impressed with view and experience. Also a lot cheaper than a tour. Really great way to start a Hawaiian cruise.

Edited by philv

On 4/6/2024 at 1:29 PM, DCwom said:

We're thinking since we'll be awake maybe we'll climb Diamond head 1st thing.

29 minutes ago, philv said:

You mentioned some specific things you want to do but if you are open to another suggestion and haven’t done it before, try Diamond Head. We took a public bus from our Waikiki hotel to entrance, hiked up and...

Just be sure you know Diamond Head requires reservations.

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dsp/parks/oahu/diamond-head-state-monument/

On 4/6/2024 at 11:45 AM, WakeView4Us said:

We fly in the day before boarding the Sprit and are staying in Waikiki.

I agree with the other poster that you are going to be very disoriented from a time perspective if you are coming from the US East Coast. We do this trip several times a year and the 11 hour flight always wipes us out. 

On 4/6/2024 at 11:45 AM, WakeView4Us said:

Looking for excursion ideas for a tour with the lighthouse, points of interest and maybe a round-trip of the island. 

We won't have a car. 

I agree to with Bear to look at Roberts but I think you are going to run into the same issue you had getting back later than your sailing time. The ONLY way to do what you propose to do is to rent a car which can be easily done in Waikiki and returned back there.

It's a nice drive up to the North Shore and then down along the coast back to Honolulu but it will take all of your day. If you didn't stop at all it would take you about 3-4 hours of straight driving (and obviously the point is to make a few stops and see things). The other thing to consider is if you are going to other islands (which I assume you are) you can get a very similar experience there. 

To be frank, you will be much happier with yourselves if you just stay put and enjoy Waikiki. Rest up, grab breakfast, walk on the beach, go for a swim. Enjoy being in Waikiki-- because if you do anything else you proposed theres no actual point in staying in Waikiki to begin with. 

If you did want to hang closer but still wanted to do something cultural-- go to see the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor or to the former Royal Ioloni Palace in Downtown honolulu. Either of those things are short, easy Uber rides and let you still enjoy some time on Waikiki. 

• Like 1