Britannia - Deck 15 and the motion of the ocean?

Hello! Back with my silly questions again!

As I may have mentioned before, I'm off on the 10th Anniversary sailing round the British Isles in June next year and will be staying on Deck 15. I've heard that the higher you are on the ship the more motion you feel with some saying "you feel every little bump, wave and breeze" so I was just wondering if anyone has had experience of staying on Deck 15 on a similar cruise and what was it like? Was it really as bad as some seem to suggest? I'm taking plenty of sea-sickness tablets with me just in case as I know the North Sea can be choppy at the best of times and my friend I am going with has never cruised before.. Is it worth breaking her in gently as it were and looking at contacting P&O to see if we can change our cabin? I did have the option to select my own cabin and stayed with the one P&O allocated (A216) but now I'm thinking I wish I had researched a little better! 🤦‍♀️😂

You will feel a bit more movement higher up, but from our experience, not enough on Britannia to cause you major issues. 

She always feels fairly stable to us, and Michelle can suffer from motion sickness but has had no issues. 

Look at the positives, you are very close to the Crows Nest, pools and buffet.. 😊

You might just want to check out what the area directly above you is, shown in white on the deck plans, opposite Epicurean. 

Probably nothing to worry about but could be a boiler room, galley or something that creates noise. 

I'm sure our friends on here will be able to help with this. 

As it is quite a way off, you should be able to swap without too much trouble if needed, but choose carefully. 

Andy 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

You will feel a bit more movement higher up, but from our experience, not enough on Britannia to cause you major issues. 

She always feels fairly stable to us, and Michelle can suffer from motion sickness but has had no issues. 

Look at the positives, you are very close to the Crows Nest, pools and buffet.. 😊

You might just want to check out what the area directly above you is, shown in white on the deck plans, opposite Epicurean. 

Probably nothing to worry about but could be a boiler room, galley or something that creates noise. 

I'm sure our friends on here will be able to help with this. 

As it is quite a way off, you should be able to swap without too much trouble if needed, but choose carefully. 

Andy 

Thank you! 🙂 From what I can see on the deck plans, we seem to be below deck 16 toilets (next to Ivory Suite)

• Like 1

One of the things we  look for when booking a cabin is to make sure there is a deck of cabins above and below us.

Imagine a seesaw.  Most movement is at the ends, far less towards or in the middle.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

With the "new" room choosing system the prices change the second you click the choose room button, sometimes by a few pounds but by several hundred on others - when looking at cabins for my recently booked Aurora cruise one outside cabin on deck E changed by £375pp making it dearer than a balcony cabin on deck C.  The sceptic in me says P&O allocate the first choice cabin they recommend based on they aren’t the very worst on sale at that time but are not necessarily the most desirable.  Good old deck 15 on Britannia tends to be a point in question.  Some of the deluxe balcony cabins up there are diabolical for noise, never mind movement, and the ones mid forward are not far from your allocated inside cabin.  After a particularly nightmare Caribbean experience with late night deck parties and the clean up early morning I vowed no more deck 15 as a result.  I appreciate on a round Britain cruise the chances are slim for these to occur but I would err on the side of caution if noise can be an issue as early morning cleaning of the deck area and lavatories will have to occur regardless of where in the world the ship is.  Personally I'd consider if it's possible to change room if there's little or no cost involved, not because of movement worries but more due to potential noise.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2