Advice: Book direct or via third party?

KC15

On 4/11/2024 at 8:17 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

- I'm thinking you're new to cruising?  Know this:  Once you're onboard, you can schedule your next cruise -- they have a whole office dedicated to that topic -- or you can make a downpayment on an unspecified week.  If you do this, the cruise line gives you a bit of OBC (On Board Credit), which pretty much equals what your travel agent's offering.  Personally, I like to get the next-cruise certificate, so I'm ready to reserve if a low-price pops up online.  

I'm interested to know more about this. How much is the discount for reserving next cruise while on board? I'm considering one already for Spring 2025 or Spring 2026.

And when can this be done during a 7-day cruise? I want to be sure it is a good vacation fit for family members. And for current cruise I reserved an interior cabin but can consider what for another reservation.

What are the deals with a CruiseNext certificate? 

7 hours ago, Ginger2016 said:

I'm interested to know more about this. How much is the discount for reserving next cruise while on board? I'm considering one already for Spring 2025 or Spring 2026.

And when can this be done during a 7-day cruise? I want to be sure it is a good vacation fit for family members. And for current cruise I reserved an interior cabin but can consider what for another reservation.

What are the deals with a CruiseNext certificate? 

You can go to the Next Cruise office -- find it on your deck plans -- any time, but don't wait until the last two days.  The office'll be crowded then.  Usually they put out a notebook, and you can sign up for a time to meet with a Next Cruise crew member.  

No discount for cruise tickets persay, but you'll get On Board Credit.  Amount varies depending upon the length of cruise and cost of stateroom.  And you only pay -- is it $100 per person? -- in deposit.  And -- assuming you do choose that 2025 or 2026 cruise -- most rooms will still be available, and you'll have your pick.  

You can make reservations for yourself + three other rooms (?) for each sailing you reserve.  All other rooms will get the reduced deposit and the OBC.  

Option1:  Pick a ship, a date, a cabin (or a guarantee) and reserve your vacation.  I personally like to have my next cruise chosen before we board.  Being new, I'd suggest you wait until mid-week; by that time you'll know more about what you like and will be able to make a good choice for your family.  

Option 2:  Buy a FCC -- Future Cruise Certificate -- which gives you the OBC and the reduced deposit, but you're not locked into a specific sailing.  You can call and give them your FCC number and reserve later.  

If you choose, you can transfer your reservation to a travel agent within ... two months?  Someone'll correct me if I'm wrong.  

If you want to book on an expensive cruise line or book a suite or above, consider an agent. They may have more to offer because of the profit they are making. Otherwise, book direct and be diligent to check frequently. Don't expect much or anything after the final payment is due. I have benefitted numerous times by calling when I notice the price decrease.