Iona Gym - showers and changing rooms?

Posted (edited)

We have sailed on Iona 3 times,  but I'm afraid to say have never ventured to the gym! 

Son and girlfriend will be sailing in June, and they want to know if there are showers and changing rooms available for gym users.

I can see changing rooms on the deck plan, but not sure if they are for use by spa guests only.

Can any gym users confirm if you can get a shower afterwards or if you have to drip sweat all the way back to the cabin?! 😰 

Many thanks 

Edited by alpha whiskey

16 minutes ago, Red Ray said:

I believe the Iona gym has a great new machine.  It sells Kit Kats, Maltesers, Drifters, Mars bars....

That'll be the one for me then!

Can you get a shower whilst eating a Kit Kat I ask though?!

alphawhiskey, 

I have used the gym on Iona in May 2022 (Norway) and the gym is superb, but busy and the machines are close together so be careful.  Free weights, dumbbells, benches, and an area for stretching, yoga, etc. Cannot remember if they have kettlebells!  I do not use the showers but prefer to return to our suite. (Cannot be bothered to carry a bag with clean clothes and I cool down on the way back to the suite).

I am onboard in early May (Norway) and will attend the gym, will explore and return with an answer unless someone beats me to it.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, alpha whiskey said:

That'll be the one for me then!

Can you get a shower whilst eating a Kit Kat I ask though?!

I have never used the gym but have used the nearby spa and I’m pretty sure there are no gym showers, the showers on the deck plan belong to the spa.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, alpha whiskey said:

I can see changing rooms on the deck plan, but not sure if they are for use by spa guests only.

From when I have used it in the past there certainly aren't any directly linked to the gym, and most people using it do seem to come directly to and from their cabins.

• Thanks 1

I have used the gym on all of my 3 Iona trips and the gym is very well equipped.  I cannot recall any changing rooms or showers but there is a toilet in there.  I suspect that changing rooms were not put in as most peope would change and shower in their cabin as it will be just a short walk away.

One tip for you...pre fill your water bottle in your cabin as I could never get mine under the drinking fountain in the gym.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Harryjacobs said:

One tip for you...pre fill your water bottle in your cabin as I could never get mine under the drinking fountain in the gym.

Or just go via one of the water bottle filling points that exist on Iona.

20 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Or just go via one of the water bottle filling points that exist on Iona.

No good if your route to the gym doesnt go past the filling points.  My cabin was at the front so in the lift straight down to deck 5 then straight into gym.  I certainly wasnt going to wander the ship just to fill my water bottle up!

2 hours ago, Harryjacobs said:

No good if your route to the gym doesnt go past the filling points.  My cabin was at the front so in the lift straight down to deck 5 then straight into gym.  I certainly wasnt going to wander the ship just to fill my water bottle up!

If memory serves me correctly, there is a filling point on deck 6 near the forward lifts so not an awful long detour.

1 minute ago, 9265359 said:

If memory serves me correctly, there is a filling point on deck 6 near the forward lifts so not an awful long detour.

But still easier and quicker to fill in your cabin?

7 hours ago, Harryjacobs said:

But still easier and quicker to fill in your cabin?

More hassle trying to fit the bottle under a tap than the easy refilling points.

There are no changing rooms or showers in the gym and I doubt you’d be allowed to use the spa ones as you’d then be able to access the spa facilities and there’s an extra charge for that. 

• Thanks 1

I'll be trying the Gym on the Iona on my next trip but won't be water i'll be drinking it will be Cappuccino since i plan to go first thing in the morning to wake me up.

As for 'sweating' No Chance those days are long gone more like 'self inflicted pain' as i call it.

Back at the Gym..jpg