Why Bonaire?

sjde

We're looking at cruise itineraries in the Caribbean . I always like to include a new port or two. We've been to a lot but there are still quite a few ports we haven't been to before: Bonaire, Curacao, Grand Turk, Puerto Rico ,BVI , Dominica, St Croix, Dominican Republic and Grand Cayman.
Looking mostly for natural beauty, interesting architecture and photography, though shopping and food is good too! Not interested in adventure sports. A nice beach maybe for an excursion.

So tell me why we should choose Bonaire? TIA! 

Usually any cruise that goes to Bonaire will also stop at Curacao and Aruba, so you can check a few stops off your list.  Due to our location near the equator, you’ll likely be on at least a 9 day cruise to stop at Bonaire.

Bonaire is beautiful and unspoiled. It is safe, quiet, and the residents are kind and friendly. (I live on Bonaire, so I’m biased.)  The sea is crystal clear and warm.  The island takes its eco status seriously, and you will find the sea, corals, and marine life protected.     We are divers and other than Indonesia, Bonaire diving is the best we’ve ever done. If you like to snorkel, you can walk into the water almost anywhere, the reef is close to shore.   If you take a shore excursion by boat, they will take you to the best snorkeling sites. 

We have some sandy beaches, but we are not ringed with sand beaches like Aruba.  Our shores are more rocky, which is better for the corals than sand.    We are a quieter island,  without high rise buildings or traffic lights.  We do not attract spring breakers, we tend to attract nature lovers and people who live to dive, snorkel, windsurf, kite surf, kayak, etc.   

We have parrots in the trees and donkeys and goats meandering along the side of some roads.   Yet we have every modern convenience and store we need. 

Our downtown is beautiful and right where the ship docks.   If you just come on a cruise, you will not likely have a chance to experience restaurants here, but the island is also known for amazing chef owned restaurants.  

Many people come back to Bonaire to live or to do a land based vacation after experiencing it on a cruise ship stop.   We are a short direct flight from Miami, and there are also nonstop flights to Bonaire from Atlanta, Newark, Houston and Toronto.

all the best,

Kate

• Like 2