Type if taxi vehicles

It's been 10 years since we visited St thomas, and looking at different scenic tours,almost all if them seem to be in the open air tram type of vehicles that take 2 steps to get into.

My DW has issues with her knees that sometimes cause her to have issues getting on those,even with assistance. 

Was wondering if all the taxis that give island tours at the cruise port are that type,or if any are regular cars(not vans,as those steps are higher)

Thank you

I'm glad you're asking all these details in advance. Not enough visitors do, and without advance planning, some needs may not be easily accommodated.

There are SUV taxis, but there may not be any available when you're at the dock since there aren't usually many in that area.

For right now, Best Taxi Association has the contract to pick up at Havensight, but their phone number didn't work a few months ago, so I don't know how anyone can contact to reserve a particular vehicle.

There is a Best Taxi Association dispatcher a short walk from the ships. If the dispatcher can't provide you with a SUV, you can call VI Taxi Association dispatch and request an SUV. You may have to meet them outside the gate, though, because of Best Taxi.

VI Taxi dispatch number is 340 774 7457.

3 hours ago, Ms411 said:

I'm glad you're asking all these details in advance. Not enough visitors do, and without advance planning, some needs may not be easily accommodated.

There are SUV taxis, but there may not be any available when you're at the dock since there aren't usually many in that area.

For right now, Best Taxi Association has the contract to pick up at Havensight, but their phone number didn't work a few months ago, so I don't know how anyone can contact to reserve a particular vehicle.

There is a Best Taxi Association dispatcher a short walk from the ships. If the dispatcher can't provide you with a SUV, you can call VI Taxi Association dispatch and request an SUV. You may have to meet them outside the gate, though, because of Best Taxi.

VI Taxi dispatch number is 340 774 7457.

It's all about the step into vehicle. 

Some suvs are as high as vans

6 hours ago, Ms411 said:

Not the suv taxis I've seen at Havensight. I think they're what most people consider mid size. 

Are there companies that have these that you can reserve in advance

Or maybe we just get off ship at 930 or 10 and examine what's available 

There are "transportation services" that have them, and there's a new app that let’s you book various vehicles, and it looks like their fare is based on minimum of 2 people. It wouldn't let me get quotes to many destinations without registering.

There's also a company specializing in transportation for people with mobility issues, and he has an suv. It Could Be Worse is the name of the company. Someone posted a YouTube video of their tour with him.

ICBW Transportation

ICBW Transportation

CALL US

(407) 719-2635 (340) 771-1735

VISIT US ON-LINE

usviicbw.com

It Could be Worse “ICBW” is a transportation provider on St. Thomas offering limo services, and private car services for wheelchair users. Luxury options for non-disabled guests include island tours of St. Thomas and St. John, beach stops, airport and resort transfers, weddings, events, and more. Accessible options for visitors and residents include island tours, beach stops, airport and resort transfers, events, transportation to doctor’s appointments, and more. We have an accessible van, and we rent motorized and standard wheelchairs, and four-wheel scooters. Get in touch with us today to discuss your transportation needs. We look forward to the opportunity to help you experience our island paradise

3 hours ago, Ms411 said:

There are "transportation services" that have them, and there's a new app that let’s you book various vehicles, and it looks like their fare is based on minimum of 2 people. It wouldn't let me get quotes to many destinations without registering.

There's also a company specializing in transportation for people with mobility issues, and he has an suv. It Could Be Worse is the name of the company. Someone posted a YouTube video of their tour with him.

ICBW Transportation

ICBW Transportation

CALL US

(407) 719-2635 (340) 771-1735

VISIT US ON-LINE

usviicbw.com

It Could be Worse “ICBW” is a transportation provider on St. Thomas offering limo services, and private car services for wheelchair users. Luxury options for non-disabled guests include island tours of St. Thomas and St. John, beach stops, airport and resort transfers, weddings, events, and more. Accessible options for visitors and residents include island tours, beach stops, airport and resort transfers, events, transportation to doctor’s appointments, and more. We have an accessible van, and we rent motorized and standard wheelchairs, and four-wheel scooters. Get in touch with us today to discuss your transportation needs. We look forward to the opportunity to help you experience our island paradise

Their website seems to only be about rentals unless I read wrong 

9 hours ago, Ms411 said:

Best to call them, unfortunately. They get good reviews for their transport services.

I did.

Very expensive for us,at least

But thank you for suggestion