Anchorage/seward disembarkation

Lookingtocruise42

We are going to be on an Alaska cruise on the Nova that ends in Seward. My understanding is that we will have a train ride to Anchorage and then a (private) transfer to the airport.

How does this work? Do they bus us to the train station? Is the train station walking distance from the port?

What time should I plan for my departure flight? I was told 3:30pm, but that seems early, given that it is a 4.5 hour journey between Seward and Anchorage, no? Is 3:30pm a safe time for my flight?

1 hour ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

We are going to be on an Alaska cruise on the Nova that ends in Seward. My understanding is that we will have a train ride to Anchorage and then a (private) transfer to the airport.

How does this work? Do they bus us to the train station? Is the train station walking distance from the port?

What time should I plan for my departure flight? I was told 3:30pm, but that seems early, given that it is a 4.5 hour journey between Seward and Anchorage, no? Is 3:30pm a safe time for my flight?

The train transfer from Seward to Anchorage is a charter train which will depart from the cruise terminal (there is a railroad spur that goes right to the pier, just a few hundred yards from the ship) and take you directly to the Anchorage Airport (it has a station there just for cruise passengers on the charter train).  It departs bright and early in the morning and arrives at the airport around noon or so.  (The charter train leaves to take embarking passengers to Seward at about 1:15pm.)

So you should be fine with a 3:30 pm flight, particularly if you are flying out on Alaska Airlines which has a few dozen flights daily from ANC to SEA (from where you can easily connect to your final destination).  That availability gives you many alternative flight options if the train transfer is significantly delayed for some reason.

• Thanks 1

I don’t understand why you would go to Alaska and not stay a few days to see some amazing things.  Unless you have done it before.  Seward has some amazing boat tours.  Several inland tours from anchorage as well.  Just my 2 cents!  

• Like 1