More STINGRAY help, please...

firstcruiserDB

Have searched and could not find this answer! Hope someone can help as we don't want to book the wrong excursion! (By the way, we are still discussing booking on our own with one of the wonderful companies that are mentioned on this board! DH still thinks we should book with the ship....I'm trying hard to change his mind!) Just in case, I need your help with these two ship excursions....

Ok, Carnival offers two excursions to see the stingrays. They are called:

STINGRAY CITY TOUR (says a "short ride through GC to Stingray City)

and

STINGRAY SANDBAR TOUR (says "short ride to the inland lagoon in the Northern Sound")

Both are 2 and a half hours long and cost $45.

Can anyone tell me which is the best one? Do they both go to the same place?? Do they offer the same experience?

I'll appreciate any info you may have! Thanks so much!:)

Wow, the brief description you provided doesn't say much to help. They have to drive in the same direction to board the boat to sail to the Sting Ray City sand bar. You will see lots of boats mored out there and thus lots of people. Sounds like the first will include a tour guide on the bus pointing out city highlights to and from the dock, which is a plus. You could find this very interesting. It could mean less time at Sting Ray City but I doubt it. If to keep the peace and since this is your first time at GC, I would take the City and Sting Ray tour. Once you and your DH feel more comfortable then next time you can book an independent tour for less money, more time and with less people. Not having anxiety is worth it for both of you.

Also, you would want to get on the "Earliest" tour of the day. The Rays are more hungry! They know when breakfast is served...

Bon Voyage

Thanks so much, Nanatravel! I sure appreciate your time and trouble!

So, I'm guessing the "Stingray Sandbar" and "Stingray City" are the exact same place. I just didn't want to miss out on the best location to experience these creatures!

I'm guessing, also, that one tour provides snorkeling equipment, and the other one doesn't.

Thanks, again! This is an absolutely awesome site with absolutely awesome people to help!:)

I think all the tours have snorkel gear since you will be wanting to put your face into the water to see the rays.

Have you checked out the independent tour operators mentioned on this board? We did our first SRC through Carnival, and our last one with Captain Bryan's Buccaneer. It was so much nicer. We went to 3 stops instead of just one, and there were a lot fewer people on our boat.

Have a great time, no matter whom you go with!

Hey there... just my two cents worth, but if you go with the ship you go with LOTS of people. You do not get the same attention as on a smaller private excusion. We did Rays, Reef, and Rum Point with Native Way and it was awesome. Easy to get to, cheaper than the Carnival tour, and only 18 people on the boat and three crew to help us. They went out and knew where to get a Morray eel to come out of his hole, and a nurse shark. How COOL! They also took the guys over to a neat spot where they got to free dive down to get a conch shell. Then at the beach the crew got up a game of beach volleyball. Maybe you could have your hubby read some of the boards to get a more comfortable feeling with the whole thing. :) Good luck, and no matter what... have FUN!

I was on Royal Caribbean and we booked a tour with the ships group. Never again! It was a school bus, I kid you not, no a/c and we ended up in the back of the bus, the windows did not come down also. It was hot and humid and we will never go with the cruise ship for this island again.

I am going back this year and will book a private tour, it is better and it will have less people.

The ships just packs the people in and really don't care, it is about money. Give the island tour guides your business. That is just my experience here with Royal Caribbean in the Caymans....don't want alot of hate mail, that is what happened to me.

Stingray City and Stingray Sandbar are two very different sites, approximately 2 miles apart.

Stingray City is closer to the cruise terminals, and is about 12 feet deep.

Stingray Sandbar is further away from the cruise terminals (closer to Rum Point) and is shallow enough to stand up.

Finally, someone mentioned snorkelling for conch. There is a six month closed season. This is not a year-round activity. Summer into fall is closed season.

I have a question regarding the tour times, Nativeway says it leaves at 9 Eastern, would that mean we might miss the tour??

Please let me know how that works? We are on the Conquest 11/19.

thanks!!:)

Archived