is filtered water available on the Sapphire Princess

beachbuff9

Sailing on the Sapphire Princess in late May to Alaska.  I hate using plastic single use water bottles and wonder if the Sapphire has a way to fill my water bottle with filtered water?  Does the tap water on board have a "funny taste"?  Should I just give in and use single use bottled water?

IMHO and in agreement with engineers on two different ships, the tap water on board is cleaner and better tasting than many bottled waters. No funny taste for me. This of course is for the water generated on board. Sometimes the ship takes on shoreside water and while I'm sure the water is clean, it may have a funny taste although I've never encountered that.

As far as the plastic bottles go, Princess has an extensive program to sort waste into recyclables, burnables, non-recyclables and finally grind-it-up fish food. Your bottles will almost certainly be recycled. In some ports you can see pallets of various kinds of refuse being unloaded for appropriate disposition.

Posted (edited)

Bring a refillable water bottle along, and give the shipboard filtered water a go.  I enjoyed it, myself.  You can always buy bottled water if you need to, but try the water stations in the buffet first; I think you'll be pleased.

Edited by Qextor
  • Like 1

My tastebuds detect a chlorine/metallic taste in the ships tap water.

My reason for not drinking the ship's potable water is hygiene.  Regardless of the signs put up in the buffet, someone will always shove their water flask under the spout and refill directly from the dispenser.  Some decide to refill from pitchers in the buffet and the pitcher spout touches the lip of their flask.  This happens whether you see it or not.  Some people fill their flasks from their cabin bathroom faucet.  If you check the aerator of your cabin faucet, you'll find a build up of gunk, which you have no idea what it is; it could be dried up toothpaste or soap buildup.  A no go for me.

I always drink sealed bottled water when on a cruise ship.

I believe the water available on the ship comes from reverse osmosis filters.  It shouldn’t have anything in it but water. I drink it in the MDR and don’t taste anything.  But a personal flask is just one more thing to pack or leave somewhere by mistake, so I usually go through 3-5 bottles of water a day from the nearest bars.

What causes water to taste "funny?"  My understanding is that pure water is odorless and tasteless.  My further understanding is that what we detect as the taste of water are "impurities."  Impurities would include minerals that are dissolved in the water from wherever it is sourced or chemicals such as chorine or fluorides that are added by public water providers.  My best guess is that "funny" tasting water is water that tastes different from what I am accustomed.  The reason that it tastes different is that it has different impurity content.

Personally, I regularly drink ship's water.  Yes, it tastes different from the water that comes out of the taps at home.  Being over a certain age, I take daily prescription meds with a glass of water from the basin in our cabin.  In the restaurants and dining rooms, we always ask for flat water.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input  It is good to know that there are options on the Sapphire. We drink filtered water at home but we will bring our water bottles and try the ship's water from the fill stations.  It is nice to know that if we decide to grab a bottled water that it will be recycled.  Travel safely