VPN use on ships WiFi

Cloud9 Bob

3 hours ago, Cloud9 Bob said:

Has anyone successfully used a VPN while on the ships WiFi?

I have tried on 5 different cruise lines and it was blocked on all 5 including both Scarlet and Valiant Ladies.  Without the VPN, service was fine.

My work VPN did not work (Cisco AnyConnect) and when I asked about it they said they don't support VPN. My personal VPN did work though (Tailscale). I suspect it is related to whether you can go over https vs more traditional methods like IPsec. 

When I did get connected it broke the app, which makes sense since it probably needs to talk to the ship instead of the internet while onboard.  

I've only been on Scarlet Lady (last June was most recent) and both times it did not reach the Internet when on. Soon as I turned it off the connection worked. I just wanted to check something at my bank in the US and was very disappointed to have to accept a lower level of security. I went to sailor services who really didn't even know what a VPN was. Just as I was about to leave the agent said "oh there's one of our IT managers"  and she went over to ask him. He said "it's blocked". Now I read in the literature VV produces that it's supported. That's why I asked here. Thank you for your responses.