Question about Mariner Status

mim100

We've booked the Panama Canal cruise next April 2007 but are beginning to realize we don't want to wait that long !! We're looking at a Spring Cruise along the West Coast...wondering how this affects becoming a Mariner Member...since we haven't actually cruised yet, we're not Mariner Members so we won't qualify for the Coastal Cruise perks....once we book and complete the Coastal Cruise, do we then qualify for Mariner Membership for the Panama Cruise even though it's already booked? is that clear as mud?

Don't worry about the perks - I haven't seen many cruises that actually give Mariners a price break and the perks you get on ship are the Captain's party and a ship tile at end of the cruise. In your cruise docs the immigration form always asks you how many days you have sailed with HAL so you wil get "credit" for your first cruise even though you didn't have a Mariner number when you booked your second one. You could always have your TA add your Mariner number to the 2nd booking once you receive it after the first cruise.

I've received Mariner price breaks. The main perks are hearing "Welcome back" when you board the ship, if you have a Mariner button on your shirt. You also get to attend a rather exclusive Mariners' party with the Captain and about 70% of the passengers. The tile is nice, too.

I think most of the price breaks you might receive as Mariners are on the last minute cruise deals that are given close to sail date when cruises haven't sold out. When you book ahead of time like you did for your Panama Canal cruise or we did for our Ryndam cruise in November you pay for the satisfaction of getting the cruise and cabin you want.

thanks to all....I think we may have misunderstood when some friends who have cruised a lot ( with HAL ) said that they now are only paying 50% of the regular fare because of the loyalty program...anyone know about that?

I wish! Unfortunately the Mariner program is not all that spectacular. Other than the tiles and an invitation to a party with several hundred of your other close Mariner friends there really isn't much to it. I don't recall ever seeing 50% reductions....at least not months and months out from the cruise. For the most part you can do as well, if not better, through a number of different providers without Mariner status ever being an issue.

oh well...disappointing but not the main reason I booked with HAL...it's just that I had visions of each successive cruise getting cheaper and cheaper...daydreamin again...:p

We pre booked a cruise and couldn't wait that long and booked another. When we got the paper work for the last booked but first taken it already listed us as having taken that cruise and being a mariner.

Archived