Ordering in the galley

On 5/7/2024 at 11:54 AM, Tralfaz1138 said:

Out of curiosity, is it something they can make after breakfast?  I'll still certainly get one, but it seems heavy for me for my normal breakfast.  I guess if they serve it "up till 11am" I could do an early lunch...

You don't need lunch when you eat one of these. 🙂  I'll get it sort of early and then go for the salad bar or the poke bowl around 2pm ish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisingWalter said:

You don't need lunch when you eat one of these. 🙂  I'll get it sort of early and then go for the salad bar or the poke bowl around 2pm ish.

Or hit The Dock for some munchies.....

• Like 1

On 5/3/2024 at 5:11 AM, Jamesv281117 said:

Hi

We've been on the repositioning cruise from Cape town the last couple of weeks and have found that you now go up to each station in the galley to order. Personally I have found this to get really busy at peak times and a bit chaotic and thought the previous way of table ordering was better.

Interested to know is this something that has changed across the other ships too?

We were also on that cruise but never had to wait when walking up and ordering at each station during any meal.  We also had no problem flipping up the flag and ordering through a server.  With only 1,400 sailors onboard we never found the Galley (or any place) overly crowded even during peak times and there were plenty of servers walking around to take your orders.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, trippingpara said:

We were also on that cruise but never had to wait when walking up and ordering at each station during any meal.  We also had no problem flipping up the flag and ordering through a server.  With only 1,400 sailors onboard we never found the Galley (or any place) overly crowded even during peak times and there were plenty of servers walking around to take your orders.

On 4 virgin voyages so far it's the busiest and craziest I've seen the galley I have to say 

6 minutes ago, Jamesv281117 said:

On 4 virgin voyages so far it's the busiest and craziest I've seen the galley I have to say 

Really?  This was our first one so I don't have anything to go by, but we found it super easy to get our food.  Much easier than on other lines in their crowded buffets and we never had a problem getting a seat either.  Maybe we were lucky and always missed the true peak times.  We have a couple more booked (one in the Caribbean and the Panama Canal transit) so I guess we'll see how comparable it will be.

1 minute ago, trippingpara said:

Really?  This was our first one so I don't have anything to go by, but we found it super easy to get our food.  Much easier than on other lines in their crowded buffets and we never had a problem getting a seat either.  Maybe we were lucky and always missed the true peak times.  We have a couple more booked (one in the Caribbean and the Panama Canal transit) so I guess we'll see how comparable it will be.

Definitely the case for me compared to the other 3 I've done, all of those were in Europe, which is why I put the question out there. We enjoyed the food overall and adjusted to things but had an instance of having the flag up for 20 minutes with no one coming to the table and extremely busy moments around specials. 

It could be down to difference in our timings maybe but this also happened to be the first cruise when ordering at the counter was encouraged. On previous ones it wasn't a thing at all so I don't know if this affected how busy it seemed at times.

Next voyaging in the Caribbean with them so will see how it is then 😄

The Scarlet Lady transatlantic last week had around 2500 onboard and we didn’t have any significant issues ordering. I think actually being busier makes it more likely for a server to come past the table as they have more dishes to clear up too.