Anyone Booking QM2 Transatlantic 2007?

njreo

We will be on the Mexican Riviera cruise also. Based on previous experience, that will be a younger, wilder, more West Coast crowd than you will find on the QM2 next May. The people who show up for Alaska is somewhat different than the crowd on the warm weather cruises. A crossing, with no beach stops, will attract a different group also. What I'm trying to say is that every cruise is different.

I guess, that makes them all intersting.

Hope we can meet on the Diamond Princess!

Nobbi

I appreciate seeing a civilized discussion regarding the pros and cons of the higher costs for gay cruises. I questioned these costs in another thread and met with some rather abrasive responses. :rolleyes: I would appreciate it if any of you would give me a clue about how I could find a web site or other contact info for Pied Piper or any other company that books herds, flocks or whatever of gay people on regular cruises. Ken

I personally think of the QM2 as a white elephant for Cunard. Since her going into service their pricing has dropped......I am not convinced there is a market draw for this particular ship. Big prices usually go with the smaller upscale ships that are all inclusive.

I personally think the charter should have been for a warm water cruise...not an Atlantic crossing.

Perhaps the new owners of RSVP thought their advertising might could sell the ship. I am amazed at all the publications that RSVP cruises are advertised in.

But something is going on and I am a little concerned....heaven knows I like RSVP......I am booked on the Mexico cruise and the Feb Caribbean cruise...but I am watching how the ships are not selling out. In the past a feb cruise would already be full...this Mexico cruise in October isn't even sold out. Why the change????? Their competitor is filling their ships very quickly. Perhaps its the customer base.....perhaps the economy is kicking in for the non circuit boy cruisers?????

The financial loss if the QM2 sails less than 3 qtrs full could be a real jolt to the new owners.....I hope they handle this well. I like the RSVP product.....lets hope all goes well for them in 2007.

I personally would prefer for the money to have a sailing on Regent...which RSVP was looking at efore they were purchased.

• 2 weeks later...

When RSVP came out with the sailing on the QM2 I was so excited; however, when I priced it out the cruise with airfare from Los Angeles to New York/London to Los Angeles I was shocked. Airfare alone would run around $1,200 plus the cruise at $2,445/single share inside. Add on a maybe and pre/post hotel stay plus your onboard bar tab/extras and your looking at 4K for 8 days! That's too rich for my blood. I'm booked on the Atlantis Mexico cruise in October for a total cost of $1,524 for 8 nights total (of course no airfare). Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the QM2 sells. Yes, for some of us...money is an object.

• 1 month later...
RSVP is discounting the QM2 crossing by $1000 per cabin to passengers booked on the Mexican Riviera cruise. Must be booked by November 4.

Do you think I'd qualify since I already have made a booking? And where did you get the info?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

The QM2 is a great ship. My partner and I have made a transatlantic crossing last year in june with Pied Piper Travel. The weather was very bad (in the 40's, fog, rough sea) But the ship was great.

When RSVP annonced the QM2, we were on the RSVP Panama cruise, so we booked quickly a Q7. But now we're thinking about cancelling the reservation. RSVP is $6000 more expensive than Pied Piper who is doing the same trip 2 weeks after. That makes $1000 a day!

Since PlanetOut has bought RSVP, it seems that they increase a lot the prices of the cruises. We are not sure it is worth it. Atlantis cruises are much more better then RSVP, and they remain with the sames prices than regular cruises... (We have done 18 cruises : 10 Atlantis, 6 RSVP, 1 Regular, and 1 Pied Piper)

I just returned from my first RSVP cruise, having been on 3 other Atlantis cruises. While they both had their pros and cons, I did prefer Atlantis, primarily because of the entertainment. If I'm going to be shelling out extra bucks, I better get higher quality entertainment. On the Mexican RSVP cruise, there were several big name entertainers like Deborah Cox. Not being the party bunny like many others are, I didn't know who she was, but enjoyed her show regardless. On our Atlantis cruises, we were treated to stars like Patti Lupone, Joan Rivers and Deborah Gibson. Just my two cents. I think I'm going to try a str8 cruise next, just to see how I like it in comparison to the others. (I think I know the answer to that, but I have to see)

Just did the same RSVP cruise, too. 'Twas my first cruise and the only issue I had was the food. The entertainment was great. (Mark Alan Smith, Suzanne W, Sister Helen) I diddn't do the late nite parties.

I just hope the QM2 food is good!

I was on the QM2 a while ago and the food was quite good. Far, far better than the Diamond Princess.

Glad to hear this. One cruiser on the Diamond (who incidentally loved the Princess food!) told me the QM2 food was no where as good as Princess food. But then he hates Indian and Thai food, too. So I took the comment as an endorsement! :D

• 2 months later...

RSVP just announced a 50% discount on new bookings only for the Caribbean sailing next month. I'm holding out for a similar offer on the QM2. We sent an email to RSVP asking about entertainment on board and did not receive a receive a reply. You would think they would have to have all of that finalized by now.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From the Caribbean RSVP cruise, here is some of the lineup:

Margaret Cho (Always incredible)

Suzanne Westenhoefer (Missed her on the Mexican RSVP, but I think I missed a show)

Ann Hampton Callaway

Liz Callaway (I don't think she is related)

RJ Helton (Hoohumm on the CB).

Donna Sachet (Very funny on the Mexican cruise, but not terribly visible).

Varla Jean Merman

Amy & Freddie (Alway fantastic)

Rent's Anthony Rapp

Brian Lane Green (I hope I corrected the type correctly)

Anyway, I can't believe the crap on this thread. Buy the product if you want, otherwise enjoy the kids, stoggies, and others.

hmmm.

Kip (& Ken)

miss you tom - booking the zuiderdam tomorrow, see you soon stud.

RSVP just announced a 50% discount on new bookings only for the Caribbean sailing next month. I'm holding out for a similar offer on the QM2. We sent an email to RSVP asking about entertainment on board and did not receive a receive a reply. You would think they would have to have all of that finalized by now.

Sailing on the Royal Clipper is a totally different concept than being on a large cruise ship. Since the ship only holds about 220 passengers, fares have to be higher for nice accommodations. I looked at the itinerary but it does not give many details. If I am on a sailing ship I want to be at sea during the day - at least one or two days. The itinerary on the RSVP site just lists a port every day and does not specify times. Not even one day at sea. So I can see why RSVP is having a hard time filling the Royal Clipper. Also, you have to get to Barbados which can be more difficult than leaving from a US port.

I was on the Royal Clipper last year with RSVP. It was fantastic! Some of the ports are only partial days, so there is plenty of time sailing during the day. The ship is quite luxurious with a 3 story atrium that has a glass-bottom pool above it. It was quite a unique experience.

I am booked on the QM2 and am wondering since I booked it when it was first announced over a year ago, what will they do for me if they start offering great deals to poeple who waited until the last minute?

I am looking forward to the crossing, though.

<< I am booked on the QM2 and am wondering since I booked it when it was first announced over a year ago, what will they do for me if they start offering great deals to poeple who waited until the last minute? >>

If your travel agent contacts RSVP, they may offer an upgrade. We got that during the Mexican Riviera cruise, since we had booked earlier like you did and then they were offering $500 off the listed prices.

Archived