Need 50th birthday surprise ideas on-board

sanermae

My husband and I are sailing on the Conquest with 3 other couples in September and we are celebrating his 50th birthday. I am trying to come up with a surprise birthday party without spending a fortune. Have had the room decorations before and plan to bring my own (more for the money). Anybody got any suggestions? Happy Sailing Fellow Cruisers!

I did a surprise cruise for my husband last year ...and used the Pirate theme...being a Jimmy Buffett fan ..I also used the "Pirate Looks at 50" theme ..just changed the number in my husband's case.....I found great pirate type things to decorate the cake (that Carnival furnishes at dinner)....had special candy wrappers made with the name of the ship/his name/birthday/and a pirate/parrot in the artwork....maybe get things like an eyepatch and have everyone wear one .......hope this helps some icon_smile.gif ...have fun ..and be sure to have your camera ready!!!!

Island Princess

Hawaii Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=221100&cdt=2005;02;03;4;00;00&timezone=GMT+0700</a>

</td></tr></table>

</center>

You have so hit the nail on the head! Thank you so much! Buffet is the way to go! And he will be 50 so it is perfect! We are HUGE Buffet fans! I love it! Will look into the candy wrappers and the pirate decorations. Will probably get a special banner made for him here that we can all sign with that theme on it! We are avid boaters from days past so this is perfect. I am going to take a CD player with all the Buffet music. One couple is getting a suite so maybe we can set up in their room. Did you party in the room or decorate the cake that came to the table at dinner? Have also considered some of the canape trays they offer--any input on that?

Happy Sailing Fellow Pirates!

Happy 50th to your DH!

Consider this: (And yes, I'm a cheapo!) icon_wink.gif

Rather than spend $$ on the party trays, have everybody in your group order from room service (from their own cabin), and take to the party cabin.

The "Crudites of Vegetables with Bleu Cheese Dip" is wonderful! You could also order fruit, AND strawberry yogurt to be used as dip for the fruit. Y'all could also order potato chips, cookies & brownies. Voila! Instant complimentary snackies for your party.

Just a thought from a former caterer....I LOVE parties! icon_biggrin.gif

"Laissez les bon temps rouler!"

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Sensation 2004

It comes from years of practice! icon_biggrin.gif

"Laissez les bon temps rouler!"

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Sensation 2004

sanermae, see if you can work something out with the cruise director, your waitstaff, drink servers and room stewards the day of your hubby's b-day. Having them always saying "Happy Birthday" all day long, shaking his hand, kiss on the cheek, big hug, whatever. (And tipping them fairly well to do so would definitely help! icon_wink.gif ) You will also want to let the Maitre 'D know it's your hubby's b-day as well, he'll make sure something special is done. (Again, tipping well helps.) If you do get the cruise director involved, and considering it's "THE BIG 5-0", he may be willing to work it into whatever shows he's doing for the week or the daily announcement the day of your hubby's day. It never hurts to ask. icon_smile.gif

cubs_45.gifgreenlanthal.gifflash.gif

030203usf_prv.gif

05/24/03 Celebration -- Our first cruise!

12/07/03 Conquest

11/01/04 -- Fascination!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;11;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

For my in-laws 50th anniversary, I took my video camera and taped everyone in the family telling them a personal message. I think they really loved it. I brought it on the cruise and played it after their surprise vow renewal.

I also had T-Shirts made up with their wedding picture on the front and it said on the back - "I celebrated my 50th wedding anniversary on the Carnival Destiny". All the others in our group got T-Shirts with that same picture and on the back it said "I celebrated (Her name and His name)'s 50th anniversary on the Carnival Destiny" and it had the date of their anniversary. I ordered them from www.99dogs.com. The prices were very reasonable. They didn't charge much to put the picture and words on the T-shirts either.

Donna

Sapphire Princess, Sep 04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;09;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

TOO BUSY SELLING CRUISES AND VACATIONS TO TAKE THEM. I WISH I COULD BE ON ALL THE CRUISES THAT I HAVE SOLD IN THE PAST YEAR.

Fascination, June 97

Destiny, July 98

Paradise, July (ALMOST) 00

Ecstasy, Feb 01

Destiny, Jan 02

Grand Princess, Feb 03

Zuiderdam, May 03

Serenade of the Seas, Sep 03

Sapphire Princess, Sep 04

• 2 weeks later...

Very good thread! Will definitely be packing the CD alarm clock and the buffet tunes! Love the good suggestions on b'day plans--decorating the room in parrothead theme--taking eye patches for all to wear (group of 8)--getting candy wrappers, cool banner, & t-shirts made up to help with celebration--crowd is bringing 2 bottles of bubbbly each on board to help celebrate. What do you guys think? Should I plan one special night or just make a week of it? Want to get some special snack trays delivered from the kitchen and plan to bring his favorite b'day cake (cookie co. cake--he is such a kid at heart!!!) Would you go with the 1st night as a kick off? Love this board! Happy Cruising!

• 4 weeks later...

I just posted a thread about this also! I love the Pirate Looks at Fifty theme and will start with the book and eye patches, thanks for the great suggestion! Now can someone help me with this countdown clock thingy?

Archived