Should I ask for future cruise credit?

I recently had to cancel a cruise because of my husband’s hospitalization.  I have been reimbursed by the insurance company.  The personal cruise consultant at the cruise line offered fcc if I sent a physician’s statement.  If I do so, should I report this fcc to the insurance company?  I have many doubts that I will ever get to use the credit.  Thank you.

7 minutes ago, Tn gal said:

I recently had to cancel a cruise because of my husband’s hospitalization.  I have been reimbursed by the insurance company.  The personal cruise consultant at the cruise line offered fcc if I sent a physician’s statement.  If I do so, should I report this fcc to the insurance company?  I have many doubts that I will ever get to use the credit.  Thank you.

However you handle it, don't double dip!

IF you get credit from the cruise company, then do NOT claim that amount from insurance.  But it's likely to be better to get the cash from the insurance rather than a "credit" from the cruise company, which is limited in use and possibly in time duration.

GC

Exactly what @GeezerCouple said.

The cash is ALWAYS better than a FCC voucher.  Always.

Vouchers have restrictions and conditions and on and on....

For anyone reading this that is anticipating canceling for any reason, if you have the opportunity for cash, take it.

Oh, and as @GeezerCouple indicated, never double dip...  that is likely to get you in trouble somewhere.  I would be surprised if the Cruise Line would not ask if you have been reimbursed in some other way.

My brother and family were delayed getting to a cruise with the air organized by the cruise line.  The cruise line offered no direct compensation for the delay because they had interruption insurance.  The cruise line did pay for their 2 nights in hotel, meals, and transportation to get to the ship 2 days late.  The cruise line was very thorough in their investigation if they had insurance to cover the interruption.  I would expect that your cruise line would do the same.

I do hope @Tn gal that your husband is recovering well. 

The only times I've taken FCC was during the COVID cancelation period, when Royal Caribbean was offering a bonus 25% of it in lieu of cash.  It was a little complicated, but I ended up with a replacement for the trip I booked, plus a seven day Caribbean, with all of it covered by the FCC, except about $200.

I would not have taken the FCC if it was in the same amount as the cash.