LIVE: British Isle Explorer - May 9, 2024 - Neptune

3 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Ooooh, lucky you! I’d love to hear more about this. We missed Shetland due to weather but loved Orkney. I’d love to have more time in both places. 

I did rail travel around the Highlands many years ago. Would love to spend more time there, too.

I have a friend who is interested in doing this cruise.  Today I wrote her our impressions.  One of the main things was that I’d like two days in several ports!  Just too much to see and do in a day.  Hard to make choices.  And lots of long bus rides taking up too much time for a day trip.  I have also been to most of these ports.  But so good to see Scotland again!  Probably for the last time.😕

3 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Ooooh, lucky you! I’d love to hear more about this. We missed Shetland due to weather but loved Orkney. I’d love to have more time in both places. 

I did rail travel around the Highlands many years ago. Would love to spend more time there, too.

We missed Shetland, too, on a 2019 TA. After that experience, and after reading about others on CC who missed Shetland or Orkney (or both), we decided not to rely on Viking and the cruise gods coming through for us. So we booked our own multi-day trip. This way we’ll have plenty of time on the islands and won’t feel rushed.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

We missed Shetland, too, on a 2019 TA. After that experience, and after reading about others on CC who missed Shetland or Orkney (or both), we decided not to rely on Viking and the cruise gods coming through for us. So we booked our own multi-day trip. This way we’ll have plenty of time on the islands and won’t feel rushed.

You two are intrepid.  I thought Lerwick was worth a day of exploration on its own.  Wish we had had more time, although, as I said, in the ‘90s I spent quite a bit of time in Scotland and the Islands.  Loved the Isle of Skye, too.  

• Like 2

On 5/26/2024 at 2:30 AM, SJD117 said:

It's easy, ferries are regular and reliable

On 5/24/2024 at 5:04 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Bergen

The weather in Bergen has been unseasonably warm and sunny. So we opted for altitude and vistas, and took the cable car to the top of Mt. Uriken. It was easy enough to do ( but not cheap for 2 five minute cable car rides). We bought our tickets at the visitor center for the shuttle bus and cable car but you can get them at the shuttle bus stop just up the street. Map when I get home.  

Disembarkation day we were off the ship before 6am to meet the luggage pick up service. Then on to the train station to begin our Norway in a Nutshell vist to Flam. 

The view from Mt. Ulriken. Neptune is the cruise ship on the right side of the picture; the one in the center is an AIDA ship.

P1310657.thumb.JPG.2906adf869ff1f43d486e8723245647f.JPG

P1310659.thumb.JPG.cf869579c9b4197a94f6f960642866b3.JPGP1310661.thumb.JPG.aeadac9899d875a3091d7abbed5e9d2c.JPGP1310681.thumb.JPG.0979a7bf3783f3b0c48d598d209f074d.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

The view from Mt. Ulriken. Neptune is the cruise ship on the right side of the picture; the one in the center is an AIDA ship.

You must have a magic touch! Great weather in the Shetlands and sun in Bergen! 🍺🥌

• Haha 1

And 80° in Oslo. It was way too hot.

Post cruise -- Bergen to Flam to Oslo

Day 1: We were off the ship before 6 am to hand our luggage over to the porter service before starting off on our Norway in a Nutshell(R) adventure. It was well worth the 400NOK per bag not to dragging our suitcases along with on train, bus, ferry, train and train. If you want your luggage picked up at the ship, e-mail the porter service to make arrangements.  Pay at pick up; credit cards accepted.

I booked all of the elements of Norway in a Nutshell(R) on line at the website.  I don't know if it cost me more to book there or to do the pieces on my own but that is okay by me because booking at the website helped me make sure that I had enough time between the elements.

I booked the trip with an overnight in Flam because I did not want to be hurried. I wanted time to enjoy what we were seeing without feeling rushed.  I suggest that if you are a hiker or biker to consider 2 nights (or more) in Flam. Also, there are multiple ways to get to Flam from Bergen (or Oslo): scenic ferry from Bergen: train to Voss+bus to ferry in Gudvangen to Flam (what we did); train to Myrdal, change to Flamsbana scenic train for the ride into Flam (did not do this because that is how we were getting out of Flam the next day).

20240523_062826.thumb.jpg.dcec46b2b91b9b0b697cee01e387d715.jpg

Bergen train station

P1310766.thumb.JPG.4ea6d5db78db7e262a6d4be833db3ba9.JPG

Hotel room with a view -- but no air conditioning (or even a fan)

We arrived in Flam at 2pm and had a 4:30 excursion scheduled to the Stegastein Overlook

DSC00616.thumb.JPG.3e69593ead088655159761d96004777a.JPG

• Like 2

On 5/19/2024 at 8:59 AM, Peregrina651 said:

Sunday in Edinburgh. On our own.

Beyond tickets to The King's Gallery we had no plans of what else we wanted to see or do today.  We also had no idea how much energy we had.

Newhaven is a tender port but it is so much better than docking in Rosyth. Today was a good day for tendering.

We grabbed a cab to take us to the King Gallery at the Palace of Holyroodhouse .  The cab stand is on the main road right behind the shuttle buses.it dropped us just past the front door. The Gallery does not display a fixed collection but rather puts together themed exhibitions from the artworks and artifacts owned by the Royal Family.

Until September it focusing on fashion styles of the Georgian period. So it isn't just paintings but actual clothing worn by the Royals. DH wasn't as enthusiastic as I was but the again I read Georgette Heyer novels and he doesn't. 20240519_110859.thumb.jpg.1a0cd0db3e8e0143eea7ee2c9ca37a2c.jpg20240519_111617.thumb.jpg.969c95d4ce8d518b04e6e0f5c96c16d1.jpg20240519_110758.thumb.jpg.71d8849915befc6715b0c215c9b76c2c.jpg20240519_111850.thumb.jpg.5454a3514ef3d92660dea1e0a7e91ffe.jpg20240519_111956.thumb.jpg.c39c3210bd0ea476a478a21ed826f562.jpg20240519_112423.thumb.jpg.4a63092205699fb21256a2dd93b8221c.jpg

Then we decided that we wanted to walk and so we did.  The King's Gallery is at one end of the Royal Mile and would get us where we wanted to go. We were not in a hurry. We shopped a few windows. We took pictures (sorry, not on this camera). Our ultimate goal was either the Portrait Gallery or the tram; we were still deciding.  

In the end, it was the tram not the Gallery.  We had had a good invigorating walk. Seen a lot of New Town and we were done. Out of steam.

Tram vs Viking shuttle? It depends.  The nearest tram stop plus the walk from the Newhaven terminus to the tender dock was much less than the walk to Charlotte Square.   The tram runs every few minutes.  It cost 2 BPS; buy on the platform before you board the tram else pay a penalty price for buying on the train.  Pay cash or credit card.  Because of the distance to Charlotte Square from where were near Waverley Station, the tram was a much better option.

And that was our day in Edinburgh.

Edinburgh was one of our favorite port visits in August 2023. We took the tram from Newhaven to St. Andrew Square where we returned after visiting the castle, parts of the Royal Mile and both old and new town. Edinburgh Festival Fringe was underway and we saw several street performances. We enjoyed Edinburgh.

One interesting contrast remains vivid in my memory when we first stepped of the tram, as shown in this photo. I wasn’t sure which I should buy first, a bus ticket or a designer bag.🤔

Using the tram was convenient and inexpensive.

IMG_1120.jpeg

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Hanoj said:

Using the tram was convenient and inexpensive.

Just make sure that you buy your ticket before you get on the tram, else you will be penalized for buying on the train.

• Like 1

Post cruise Day 2 -- Flam to Oslo.

It was a lazy day. We slept in. Breakfast at the Fretheim Hotel was delicious. We left our back packs at the hotel while we wondered down to the COOP to buy some snacks for the train. By noon we were on the Flamsbana scenic railway starting our way to Oslo. We changed trains at Myrdal and arrived in Oslo around 7 pm. The Thon Hotel Opera is just right beside the train station.

P1310830.thumb.JPG.c4117e2f3a82e0a4e0304cb0cb87b31e.JPG

P1310887.thumb.JPG.489ead5a0b7d29ca682e758428f8c012.JPG

P1100992.thumb.JPG.c731121cecf2aa58d1d2d51c872e387f.JPG

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Just make sure that you buy your ticket before you get on the tram, else you will be penalized for buying on the train.

There was a payment kiosk at the first stop towards Edinburgh from the Newhaven terminal. It was a shortish walk (about 5 minutes). We were in the first tender and made shore well in advance of the first shuttle departure. Also, I had researched the public transportation options (it is often easier to find this information than it is for the ship’s free shuttles) and had mapped our general itinerary for the day. Trams also normally reach stops in shorter duration than shuttles/busses due to traffic controls.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hanoj said:

There was a payment kiosk at the first stop towards Edinburgh from the Newhaven terminal. It was a shortish walk (about 5 minutes). We were in the first tender and made shore well in advance of the first shuttle departure. Also, I had researched the public transportation options (it is often easier to find this information than it is for the ship’s free shuttles) and had mapped our general itinerary for the day. Trams also normally reach stops in shorter duration than shuttles/busses due to traffic controls.

We only used the tram for our return trip (we had taken a cab to our first stop of the day). It was easier and faster to take the tram than to walk to Charlotte Sq for the shuttle, including the walk from the end of the tram to the tender dock. 

There is a ticket machine at every stop. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Oslo -- both days

When we got into Oslo on Friday night, we saw a Viking ship docked in the harbor. Turns out it was SKY and my brother was on board. So we contacted them and arranged to have breakfast/coffee with them the next day -- before they headed off on their tour of the day.

Our destination of the day was the Munch Museum, followed by a 6 pm concert performance at the Opera House. It was hot in Oslo (anything approaching 80 is my definition of hot) and the outdoors did not beckon. The view from the 12th floor was fabulous but it turns out that Scream or no Scream, I'm not much of a fan of Munch. But it was air conditioned and I liked building.

Sunday was a complete bust. Our plan to visit Askerhus and have mussels at Skur33 (suggested by my sister) fizzled quickly in the heat. We made it two block towards our destination when we decided that it was just too damned hot for us and that all we wanted to do was to crawl back into bed. We will just have to return to Oslo another time!

Taking the train to the airport. We used the Airport Express train (Flytoget -- "toget" means "train"). It leaves every 10 minutes except really early or really late in the day. Seniors pay half price. The agent at the desk in the helped us get our tickets at the machine. He punched all the buttons and we tapped. The tickets are good for 90 days. You don't need to show the ticket to get onto the train but you do need it to exit at the airport. Walking from the Thon Opera, we did not even need to enter the station to get to the track.

I could help but wonder which of the water-view apartments belonged to Tors...

20240525_113302.thumb.jpg.15ce3e400d4cd64e9d14d97001b9e095.jpg

P1110313.thumb.JPG.ff3ee4c4f4c8be2f3b3e01eb58346ed0.JPG

P1110312.thumb.JPG.d6215c529ebf9f5663d12e4c47276ff9.JPG

Waiting for sailaway

P1110340.thumb.JPG.4c9024b6cb7ea5104975436f0c5e1027.JPG

P1110410.thumb.JPG.48399cd54172018fd1942287afe8fdda.JPG

(I know; it's tilted)

P1110285.thumb.JPG.190d986c6dba0d02158fdbe0360d7d1f.JPG

Sauna shacks with a view. The bay is the cold plunge pool.

We saw Candide at the Opera House. I skipped the second half and took pictures instead.

P1110421.thumb.JPG.9f35da26186f2148632e59f6a414b6bc.JPG

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I’m really sorry to hear this.  We love Oslo.  I can’t believe you couldn’t find something else to do that Sunday.  There are so many museums. And was Carmen not good? I love that opera.   But I do know that at the end of a trip, we are sometimes just tired.  Do plan to go back!

Edited by SantaFe1

11 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

I’m really sorry to hear this.  We love Oslo.  I can’t believe you couldn’t find something else to do that Sunday.  There are so many museums. And was Carmen not good? I love that opera.   But I do know that at the end of a trip, we are sometimes just tired.  Do plan to go back!

It wasn't finding something else to do; it was an energy crisis. Both of us had been under the weather since boarding the ship. It really zapped our energy and by the last day of the trip, we had no energy at all. We talked about heading to the National Gallery but in truth we just wanted to nap, pack and go home. And we both continue to cough.

Candide was wonderful. DH loves Bernstein and was thrilled to see it. My problem was not the operetta but my coughing. It was too uncontrollable and too difficult to be a polite audience member.

Husband and I were on the May 1st BIE sailing on the Saturn, returning May 15th.  By the last 3 days of the cruise we both had cold symptoms:  runny nose, and cough and headache. Not to mention fatigue.   After returning home we both tested positive for Covid, and we had both had our 5th Covid booster only 3 weeks prior to sailing.  We are both still coughing, and husband is on antibiotics for upper respiratory infection.  We are just glad symptoms did not appear until the cruise was almost done.  I do feel mortified about the people we exposed to the covid on our way home.  Next time I bring masks!😕

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

It wasn't finding something else to do; it was an energy crisis. Both of us had been under the weather since boarding the ship. It really zapped our energy and by the last day of the trip, we had no energy at all. We talked about heading to the National Gallery but in truth we just wanted to nap, pack and go home. And we both continue to cough.

Candide was wonderful. DH loves Bernstein and was thrilled to see it. My problem was not the operetta but my coughing. It was too uncontrollable and too difficult to be a polite audience member.

I picked up that cold/cough on the last two days of the cruise.  (Not covid, I tested). My husband developed symptoms right after we returned home.  We are both still coughing—-so I totally understand no energy and coughing.  I went to church today and was happy to get through the service without a coughing fit.  On our next cruise we may opt to wear masks in some situations.  I did notice a number of folks wearing masks on this cruise.

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Whatever we had, I'm sure that we got it on the plane and in the airports. I wanted to wear a mask on the plane but I can't breath in the damned things.

I think we picked it up on the ship.  On one if our excursions we sat by-two folks coughing and sneezing loudly and constantly.  That is when I really wished we had masks with us.

2 hours ago, jmfdr said:

I think we picked it up on the ship.  On one if our excursions we sat by-two folks coughing and sneezing loudly and constantly.  That is when I really wished we had masks with us.

We also started feeling poorly at the end of the trip.  Our day in Bergen, we broke off from the walking tour and just went at our own pace.  Then came back to the ship, packed, got up at two the next morning, left the ship at 3:30, were in transit for 24 1/2 hours, up for 30.  We went to three markets the next day, then, on Saturday, my husband, who has asthma, started coughing badly.  Used inhalers, tested for Covid, negative, but he is only now feeling a bit better.  People on this cruise should have taken a clue from Andrea who stayed in her cabin for two days, and stayed in when they were sick.  We were coughed upon all day every day on busses.  I remember missing a day in St. Petersburg years ago because I was coughing so badly. I just didn’t want to subject others to me ( this was pre-Covid, too).   Where are people’s manners?  Or just common sense???

• Like 1

Since we have an immunocompromised person in our household (DH), we still wear masks on cruises, in airports, cabs, subways, & other crowded places when traveling. I still wear a mask in my local grocery store. We wore our masks on the Saturn last July & on excursions. Didn’t wear masks when eating of course, but made sure to have a fair amount of social distancing. 

Since that July cruise, we’ve been to Boston/Hartford, London, & Italy.

We got the new Covid vaccine last Dec, & again in early May. Still trying to get our docs to prescribe the just-in-case-prescription for Paxlovid—maybe they’ll give in in time for our TA on Jupiter in Oct. 🤞

We took masks but foolishly didn’t wear them.  But then again, my understanding is that they protect others from a sick you, rather than the other way around.  But still, we could have done better.  On the airplanes we have our own pod, or suite with a door closing us off, and use the lounge for long layovers, so we can distance.  But this last cruise was the worst for sick people coughing all over us since Panama Canal in 2021, where there were twenty cases of Covid and we had to miss ports.  

• Like 2