Briksdal Glacier - can we walk to it from Olden port

We are arriving there in early June on the Caribbean Princess and had booked and paid for the tour with the troll cars.  Well, Princess cancelled it on us.  And, I actually had booked last July on top of it.  Now I am waitlisted.  Anyhow, appears there is also another ship in port on our day there.  Has anyone walked to the Glacier.  We walk a lot.  I am guestimating it would take up 1 hour to walk there, and then another 45 minutes up.  Is there a town bus that goes to the Briksdal Glacier.  Ship gets in at 9 but I am sure that means we will be off at 10 am.  Any recent people who have walked there.

Posted (edited)

Did you try booking independently? They’re at the port, which is small. We did this in 2022. We took troll cars. Booked thru Olden Adventure. Next time we’ll walk up. Looked fine, not too strenuous. I think you need the tourist bus to get to the glacier-it’s quite far. At least 20-30 minute ride. You can book just bus with the same place. 

Edited by elaine5
  • Like 1

You'll need transport to the end of the road near the glacier, it's about 14 miles.

There's a local bus, but the service is infrequent and there's only one return bus that suits most cruise passengers - it can't be booked in advance so it's a big risk.

Best to take a "tour" which is actually just a two-way transfer but its a guarantee that there'll be seat to take you back to Olden.

Trollcars from the bus turnaround spot seem to book-out early, so the cancelled ship tour has done you no favours 🙁.

But if you're tolerably fit and enjoy walking that shouldn't be a problem.

JB 🙂