Kirkwall excursions

Evening all! I know I’m getting too far ahead of myself and that my cruise is quite some time away yet (I feel like a child going to Disney, to be honest!) but I was just wondering for those of you who have done British cruises and had Kirkwall as a port of call on your itinerary, was there ever an excursion to tour the Highland Park distillery? My friend who is joining me on the cruise won’t drink any other whisky and I’m sure she would love to be able to walk around it and maybe have a ‘wee dram’ or four! 

Thanks! ☺️ 

p.s I’m aware that the distillery is currently closed and having a refurb but this will be completed by the time we go 🙂

We did a cruise that went into Kirkwall on our first round Britain cruise and DH wanted to go to the Highland Park distillery so we went and even though I am not a whisky drinker I found it interesting.  We were given a small sample to try so poor DH had to force himself to drink mine.  It was his first time of trying Highland Park but it is now his preferred whisky if he has to buy whisky now.

As you state the distillery is closed this year for plant upgrade, but next year tours should be available.  Its close to the centre so a ship tour probably isn't necessary, just book tickets beforehand to ensure a slot.

I'm disappointed its closed as we have just booked a cruise for this year which calls at Kirkwall and having been to dozens of distilleries its on my one to visit list. However plan B will be a visit to Scapa distillery instead.

Highland Park have opened a shop in Kirkwall for tastings etc whilst they are closed.