Panama Canal on Emerald Princess

pikwe012

We have booked Emerald Princess for a Partial Transit Panama Canal and Princess states that passengers can only get off the ship if they have an excursion booked with them.

If this is correct I am wondering if anyone can advise how much they enjoyed these excursions? I understand it could be very hot and if any seniors found it

ok to do?

Assuming that you will be entering the Canal from the Atlantic, Princess is referring to the shore excursions that depart from Gatun Lake after the ship has gone through the locks on the Atlantic side. And yes, you must be on a ship-sponsored tour. This is true for all mainstream cruise lines. 

I’ve done four full transits of the Canal, but never a partial, so I can’t advise you on the specific excursions, but the Canal of course is not far from the Equator, and it will typically be a hot and humid day. 

Ditto on what Turtles06 said about the necessity to be on a ship sponsored tour.  While the cruise line certainly doesn't object to having a monopoly on shore excursions at this stop, the need is for a good reason.  Where you are tendered ashore is in the middle of nowhere and if your contracted tour did not show up for any reason you would have a great deal of difficulty in getting transportation.

The excursions are operated by local providers just as they are in other ports and Princess is just the middle man.  Yes it can be warm and humid, in all honesty you will find similar weather in any other Caribbean stop.  Also the type of excursion you choose can impact your comfort, many of the excursions are primarily sightseeing on a bus with a few stops at selected sights.  While others may involve more outdoor activity and therefore exposed to the elements more.

Post what excursions you are considering and I am sure a number of people may offer some input. 

Thank you. Several reviews complain about the bus and the long bus ride to get to Old Town and the short amount of time once you get there, plus no free time to wander on your own.

Will mull it over!

I just wrote about the bus ride across the Isthmus in a response to another thread here on the PC board...

The Princess tour description specifically mentions going to the ruins of Old Panama.  I don't think there are that many things for you to conveniently see if you were to wander around the Casco on your own.  While there are some historically significant sites in the Casco, they are a little spread out and I really don't know how easy it would be to try and see them on foot.  The area now is largely residential with some smaller hotels and some boutique restaurants.  Most of the shopping that you would encounter would be around Las Bovedas and Plaza Francia which is where they generally give you the free time.