Ketchikan/General NCL Questions

mbarker10

This question is sparked by our stop in Ketchikan, but I've read a million threads so not really asking what to do, but more of a logistical question.

The excursions page on NCL's website says: Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing. Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking. Itineraries are subject to change at any time without notice.

So that means we're really in Ketchikan instead of 7-1, 7-11? That's super short. I just want to make sure that's been your experience with NCL. We're looking at an ATV tour but it returns to Ketchikan at 11:30, and then having to catch the bus back to port... They do have a "back to ship" guarantee, but that's not possible if you truly have to be back on board 2 hours prior to sailing.

Thanks for any insight!

Posted (edited)

I may be wrong and, hopefully, one of the smart people on this board will correct me if so, but I believe that the requirement to be on board two hours before sailing is only on embarkation day. As I recall, it's usually not more than an hour at most. Also, embarkation in ports usually begins much sooner than two hours after docking, although that is still a very short stop in Ketchikan considering the shuttle ride into town.

Edited by NikiPinkston
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

I may be wrong and, hopefully, one of the smart people on this board will correct me if so, but I believe that the requirement to be on board two hours before sailing is only on embarkation day. As I recall, it's usually not more than an hour at most. Also, embarkation in ports usually begins much sooner than two hours after docking, although that is still a very short stop in Ketchikan considering the shuttle ride into town.

The two hours only applies to embarkation day.

• Thanks 2

All aboard time in Ketchikan will likely be 12:30.  Last shuttle from Ketchikan to Ward's Cove will likely be 11:30.  This is probably why the ATV has a return time of 11:30 and you will probably be fine depending on your risk tolerance.  

• Thanks 1

Use this Ward Cove Calendar to see the ships scheduled call times and the shuttle times. When returning to the ship they are not going to leave you if your in line to return to Ward Cove. With construction on the main highway everything is a little off schedule. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Focacta said:

Use this Ward Cove Calendar to see the ships scheduled call times and the shuttle times. When returning to the ship they are not going to leave you if your in line to return to Ward Cove. With construction on the main highway everything is a little off schedule. 

Thank you for posting this, very helpful!  If we plan on getting back to berth 4 at 11am, I'm hoping we are ok to make that last shuttle back to the ship.  I think I've read that as long as you are in line, they won't leave passengers that are waiting.  Can someone confirm this?  

13 hours ago, choover2576 said:

Thank you for posting this, very helpful!  If we plan on getting back to berth 4 at 11am, I'm hoping we are ok to make that last shuttle back to the ship.  I think I've read that as long as you are in line, they won't leave passengers that are waiting.  Can someone confirm this?  

Yes indeed. The line will be long From 11-12:15 but it’s constantly moving. The ship doesn’t leave until 1:15 but at times hasn’t left until 1:30 to ensure all passengers are onboard. Usually some straggler who didn’t use the shuttle and rushed back via taxi.