Conservative attire for men too? (as in, no shorts?)

I see these kinds of listings on a lot of our ship excursions "When visiting sacred sites wear conservative attire. Clothing should cover the shoulders and knees. Shorts are not permitted." I am planning to wear mostly longer dresses and skirts - I feel set for what to wear. Recognizing that there is sometimes a double standard for what men and women are permitted to wear - would a statement like I listed also refer to men, and mean that they should be wearing long pants in "sacred sites"? We're going at the peak of summer.... (not that that would matter to anyone, just that long pants will be a hard sell to DH...) 

10 minutes ago, DaMom said:

I see these kinds of listings on a lot of our ship excursions "When visiting sacred sites wear conservative attire. Clothing should cover the shoulders and knees. Shorts are not permitted." I am planning to wear mostly longer dresses and skirts - I feel set for what to wear. Recognizing that there is sometimes a double standard for what men and women are permitted to wear - would a statement like I listed also refer to men, and mean that they should be wearing long pants in "sacred sites"? We're going at the peak of summer.... (not that that would matter to anyone, just that long pants will be a hard sell to DH...) 

That's what it means. Men should wear long pants  but who knows whether different places will enforce it. He could wear "convertible" pants with detachable legs. For example, 

https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-silver-ridge-utility-convertible-pants-2012961.html

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, DaMom said:

would a statement like I listed also refer to men, and mean that they should be wearing long pants in "sacred sites"?

No double standards.  As above, men must also wear long trousers as a sign of respect.

And although you didn't mention it, remember that women must cover their hair, which really isn't a big deal. Carry or wear a scarf or pashmina which you can easily slip over your hair when entering.

Edited by edinburgher

You don't mention your ports.

For instance, yes conservative dress for the Vatican, yes (and take shoes off for the Blue Mosque in Istanbul.

Some other places it's no big deal

JB 🙂

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 1:27 AM, marazul said:

(not that that would matter to anyone, just that long pants will be a hard sell to DH...) 

Longer sleeves and pants legs in lighterweight  fabrics can actually keep you cooler as there is less skin exposed to the hot sunshine, and the more skin you expose the hotter you feel.

MY DH wears those same lightweight "convertible pants" which are really convenient for travel to  countries in the Middle East and others even in Europe  where we know we will visit religious sites.etc He/we call them "his zippy legs"😁

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

It is also dependent on the person working and the sight you're visiting. We were going into the cathedral in Florence. My husband is a short guy, so his shorts come right to his knees. He asked at the entrance and the security guy said he was fine. And then, 2 tall guys came in right after us, wearing nice golf shorts, but it was obvious the shorts came a little above their knees. He gave them each a lightweight, disposable tunic like thing that went over their heads.

• Haha 1